ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
overtime
-
gand
- Posts: 253
- Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 17:36
- Gender: Male
overtime
So I work in a weak division were most of the staff and myself are forced to work over there time most days under fear of cutting off and getting sacked for it. My question is if I do everything right under 3.1-3.2 of the conduct code can I be done for willful delay?
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Re: overtime
You can't get sacked for willful delay as long as you follow the correct procedure and have a witness present (ideally a trustworthy neutral). Tell the DOM with witness present that you are unable to complete and that you will either work overtime or cut off and bring the mail back.gand wrote:So I work in a weak division were most of the staff and myself are forced to work over there time most days under fear of cutting off and getting sacked for it. My question is if I do everything right under 3.1-3.2 of the conduct code can I be done for willful delay?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: overtime
You can't get sacked for willful delay as long as you follow the correct procedure and have a witness present (ideally a trustworthy neutral). Tell the DOM with witness present that you are unable to complete - that's where I would stop, the procedure does not give you the option of making that decision, its all down to the manager.Jpro747 wrote:You can't get sacked for willful delay as long as you follow the correct procedure and have a witness present (ideally a trustworthy neutral). Tell the DOM with witness present that you are unable to complete and that you will either work overtime or cut off and bring the mail back.gand wrote:So I work in a weak division were most of the staff and myself are forced to work over there time most days under fear of cutting off and getting sacked for it. My question is if I do everything right under 3.1-3.2 of the conduct code can I be done for willful delay?
If they say take what you will be able to complete - do that.
If they say take it all out and bring it back - do that but make sure that someone will be there to accept it back.
If they say make contact 1 hour before your finish time, then give them your mobile number and get them to call you - or claim the cost of calling them from your mobile or a public phone.
But don't tell them you will bring it back as unless they instruct you to do that can be construed as delaying mail.
My Advice if you can't complete within your working hours is to approach the manager responsible and say "Sorry boss, I can't complete within my duty time, what would you want me to do". Then be polite but resolute in your responses to their questions/demands. If you want to work overtime then advise them of such, but even then you don't have to work till its complete. If you want to work 1 hour OT and it will take 90 minutes then tell them.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
gand
- Posts: 253
- Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 17:36
- Gender: Male
Re: overtime
My problem is my boss is not a reasonable person and will lie and cheat at every opportunity. He will never say stuff like "take what you will be able to complete" "take it all out and bring it back" " make contact 1 hour before your finish time" If I try to ring 1 hour before finish, most time he will not answer his phone and if he does he will say stuff like "i can only advise you to stay out and deliver it all" even if i still tell him i can't. if i was to say "Sorry boss, I can't complete within my duty time, what would you want me to do?" his reply would be your doing it or the figures say you can do it and you will be. what should I do here?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:You can't get sacked for willful delay as long as you follow the correct procedure and have a witness present (ideally a trustworthy neutral). Tell the DOM with witness present that you are unable to complete - that's where I would stop, the procedure does not give you the option of making that decision, its all down to the manager.Jpro747 wrote:You can't get sacked for willful delay as long as you follow the correct procedure and have a witness present (ideally a trustworthy neutral). Tell the DOM with witness present that you are unable to complete and that you will either work overtime or cut off and bring the mail back.gand wrote:So I work in a weak division were most of the staff and myself are forced to work over there time most days under fear of cutting off and getting sacked for it. My question is if I do everything right under 3.1-3.2 of the conduct code can I be done for willful delay?
If they say take what you will be able to complete - do that.
If they say take it all out and bring it back - do that but make sure that someone will be there to accept it back.
If they say make contact 1 hour before your finish time, then give them your mobile number and get them to call you - or claim the cost of calling them from your mobile or a public phone.
But don't tell them you will bring it back as unless they instruct you to do that can be construed as delaying mail.
My Advice if you can't complete within your working hours is to approach the manager responsible and say "Sorry boss, I can't complete within my duty time, what would you want me to do". Then be polite but resolute in your responses to their questions/demands. If you want to work overtime then advise them of such, but even then you don't have to work till its complete. If you want to work 1 hour OT and it will take 90 minutes then tell them.
-
loverman shabba
- Posts: 238
- Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
- Gender: Male
Re: overtime
tell him to test the delivery if he thinks you are taking the piss. managers use these so called 'figures' far too much. they make it up as they go along im sure
-
gary1975
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
- Gender: Male
Re: overtime
Never take it all out if you know you can't complete let them deal with it and don't finish before your time when you have left mail behind .
-
siddy
- Posts: 47
- Joined: 12 Apr 2011, 20:50
- Gender: Male
Re: overtime
hi have attached the agreement /procedure you need.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
bogstandard
- Posts: 1074
- Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16
Re: overtime
write to him and cc in your rep if he is not the responding type of guy.
it is quite simple to have a load of "dear DOM i believe there will be a problem with completion today" and you just write in the date each day and give a copy to your rep. Ask for a response followed up with written confirmation
it is quite simple to have a load of "dear DOM i believe there will be a problem with completion today" and you just write in the date each day and give a copy to your rep. Ask for a response followed up with written confirmation
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP