ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Filthy vans
-
the mad woman
- Posts: 178
- Joined: 20 May 2007, 13:37
Filthy vans
Can we refuse to drive or be a passenger in a van that the inside is filthy
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Filthy vans
the mad woman wrote:Can we refuse to drive or be a passenger in a van that the inside is filthy
Can we refuse to deliver to a house that is filthy?
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: Filthy vans
OCD?the mad woman wrote:Can we refuse to drive or be a passenger in a van that the inside is filthy
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Filthy vans
Depend on how messy it is, if its that bad as to cause a genuine health & safety risk, you are within your right to decline to use or sit in the van.
The last person to use the van is responsible for the general condition of the van unless reported to the supervisor and so noted in the log book.
The last person to use the van is responsible for the general condition of the van unless reported to the supervisor and so noted in the log book.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
Ahebban
- Posts: 695
- Joined: 19 May 2009, 13:41
- Gender: Male
- Location: Left of ... Left
Re: Filthy vans
Yes, if there is a risk to your health and safety. For example: loose material on the floor (cans in particular) that may get trapped around or under feet or pedals.
The van is a part of your work area, as the office itself, and the same health and safety regs apply. The van must be roadworthy and be in a fit state to drive (inclusive of basic hygiene, removal of litter etc) - if not refuse to drive it until the DOM rectifies the problem. Get your Delivery/Safety Reps involved from the start, take photos etc.
The van is a part of your work area, as the office itself, and the same health and safety regs apply. The van must be roadworthy and be in a fit state to drive (inclusive of basic hygiene, removal of litter etc) - if not refuse to drive it until the DOM rectifies the problem. Get your Delivery/Safety Reps involved from the start, take photos etc.
Ahebban - anglo-saxon in origin - meaning 'Wages War'
What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight, what counts is the size of the fight in the dog. - Mark Twain
What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight, what counts is the size of the fight in the dog. - Mark Twain
-
Caniel
- Posts: 623
- Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
- Gender: Female
- Location: The Batcave
Re: Filthy vans
Some of the vans in my office are vile....
-
Richard007
- Posts: 84
- Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Re: Filthy vans
Yes if you think it's to dirty inside then refuse but in my experience dom will get his own back on you and will catch you doing something trivial and throw the book at you so sometimes it's best to put up with the dirty van , just don't end up getting the blame for it being in such a state , write in logbook " filthy dirty crappy van on takeover "the mad woman wrote:Can we refuse to drive or be a passenger in a van that the inside is filthy
-
dave72
- Posts: 415
- Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Filthy vans
I was thinking about this today because I had a cover van while mine was in for a minor repair
The cover van I had was a pig sty inside, orange and old banana peels in the door pockets, elastic bands, screwed up P739s, old water bottles all over the footwell and between the seats and empty sacks rammed down the back of the seats and the dashboard was just muck and dust.
The outside of the van was shocking too, proper filthy and the dirt was ground into the paint. The van was a 58 plate and honestly the state it was in I thought it had seen action in Basra
These vans are what people see, and when I saw what I was driving I felt embarrassed to be in it
The cover van I had was a pig sty inside, orange and old banana peels in the door pockets, elastic bands, screwed up P739s, old water bottles all over the footwell and between the seats and empty sacks rammed down the back of the seats and the dashboard was just muck and dust.
The outside of the van was shocking too, proper filthy and the dirt was ground into the paint. The van was a 58 plate and honestly the state it was in I thought it had seen action in Basra
These vans are what people see, and when I saw what I was driving I felt embarrassed to be in it
-
glenfiddich
- Posts: 1012
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15
Re: Filthy vans
our office had to give one of our small vans to another office one van is accident damaged radio dont work demister intermittent cans and bottles and laggys strewn all over a layer of dusty mud in the back as the spare wheel is just thrown in there creaks and groans when steering at low speed shakes at 50 and the other one the reverse sensor and one rear door dont work guess which they kept 
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Filthy vans
I've noticed mould growing in some, understandable with all the dampness in winter. If it's black mould that's actually hazardous to your health. I think RM should step up and get the interiors cleaned every year by a professional firm.
On a semi-related note, I've seen 13 plate vans dented and scraped, what are these people doing to them, I know the wheels/tyres take a bashing from mounting kerbs but come on people show a little respect for the rest of the van.
On a semi-related note, I've seen 13 plate vans dented and scraped, what are these people doing to them, I know the wheels/tyres take a bashing from mounting kerbs but come on people show a little respect for the rest of the van.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Filthy vans
Well I'm not a vehicle person and its just a tool to get the work done nothing more nor less, it isn't a home.
-
saddlerposty
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 248
- Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Filthy vans
can we refuse to deliver to houseWIFE that is filthy ?bustedflush wrote:the mad woman wrote:Can we refuse to drive or be a passenger in a van that the inside is filthy
Can we refuse to deliver to a house that is filthy?
That mrs adams at no 18 is pure filth. (not that I'm complaing)
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Filthy vans
Do you have a camera phone by any slim chancesaddlerposty wrote:can we refuse to deliver to houseWIFE that is filthy ?bustedflush wrote:the mad woman wrote:Can we refuse to drive or be a passenger in a van that the inside is filthy
Can we refuse to deliver to a house that is filthy?
That mrs adams at no 18 is pure filth. (not that I'm complaing)![]()
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Filthy vans
Yes quite a few of our vans actually have mould growing all over the plastics and fabrics inside, which I personally find disgusting, with potentially very serious consequences for our health... regardless of what kind of mould it is they all give off spores which are not good at all for anyone with any kind of bronchial problems i.e. asthma.norm wrote:I've noticed mould growing in some, understandable with all the dampness in winter. If it's black mould that's actually hazardous to your health. I think RM should step up and get the interiors cleaned every year by a professional firm.
On a semi-related note, I've seen 13 plate vans dented and scraped, what are these people doing to them, I know the wheels/tyres take a bashing from mounting kerbs but come on people show a little respect for the rest of the van.
If RM genuinely took their H&S obligation seriously then this is something they should be dealing with, but as we all know they're only concerned with playing the H&S card as and when it suits them
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Filthy vans
FFS if you don't like sitting in a filthy dirty mould ridden van - then clean it 