ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Decent Socks

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
paulf0203
Posts: 121
Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 09:58
Gender: Male

Decent Socks

Post by paulf0203 »

Can anyone recommend some decent socks as these new anvil trainers are wearing mine out good and proper, thanks in anticipation.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Decent Socks

Post by bustedflush »

paulf0203 wrote:Can anyone recommend some decent socks as these new anvil trainers are wearing mine out good and proper, thanks in anticipation.

I have thick black JCB ones, about 5 quid for 3 pairs but each pair lasts 4-5 weeks (obviously that's 24-30 shifts and washing and NOT continuous wear before the funnies come in..)
The thicker equivalent in the Caterpillar ones too, they are so similar it wouldn't surprise me if made my the same manufacturer as the JCB ones I mentioned above. Beware though, there are Caterpillar socks you see in the supermarket which are a THINNER version and should be avoided as are total crap to quote Gerald Ratner, and will last a fortnight if lucky.

There are more expensive hard-wearing socks which have strengthening with extra nylon/polyester with the cotton, but wearing them with the new 'waterproof' Anvil trainers will leave your feet smelling like George Michael's bell-end after an arduous day in the sun, as they don't absorb moisture as well.

I'd suggest settling for the thicker cotton-only ones.
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Decent Socks

Post by wabbithunta »

bustedflush wrote:
paulf0203 wrote:Can anyone recommend some decent socks as these new anvil trainers are wearing mine out good and proper, thanks in anticipation.

I have thick black JCB ones, about 5 quid for 3 pairs but each pair lasts 4-5 weeks (obviously that's 24-30 shifts and washing and NOT continuous wear before the funnies come in..)
The thicker equivalent in the Caterpillar ones too, they are so similar it wouldn't surprise me if made my the same manufacturer as the JCB ones I mentioned above. Beware though, there are Caterpillar socks you see in the supermarket which are a THINNER version and should be avoided as are total crap to quote Gerald Ratner, and will last a fortnight if lucky.

There are more expensive hard-wearing socks which have strengthening with extra nylon/polyester with the cotton, but wearing them with the new 'waterproof' Anvil trainers will leave your feet smelling like George Michael's bell-end after an arduous day in the sun, as they don't absorb moisture as well.

I'd suggest settling for the thicker cotton-only ones.
Nice info.. but what could worry people is that you "know" what George Michaels bell-end smells like.. :crazy:
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Decent Socks

Post by clashcityrocker »

Wear two pairs.
A thin silk sock with a thicker cashmere/wool blend over the top.
(Two socks cushions the knee joint twice as much as well)
If you buy cheap socks don't expect them to last.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Decent Socks

Post by DB1100 »

Bridgedale trekkers,got me through years of tabbing in the Army and will survive any post round,fantastic socks ;http://www.patrolstore.com/bridgedale-t ... 4qT4Pw_wcB
For we were soldiers once,and young
herdie
Posts: 5
Joined: 04 May 2014, 14:12
Gender: Male

Re: Decent Socks

Post by herdie »

Strauss Direct. Expensive at £20 a pair but they have excellent padding and last for ages.

http://www.engelbert-strauss.co.uk/Foot ... 1-589.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Decent Socks

Post by krussel »

Everyone has different views. In hot weather I go for thin cotton. :hmmmm
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Decent Socks

Post by greengiant »

I'm getting on quite well with "1000 mile fusion" socks: http://www.1000mile.co.uk/walking/1000- ... od_65.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty expensive, £15 or so a pair, and you need to be careful putting them on not to get the dual layers wrinkled. But comfy and blister free! :dance
loverman shabba
Posts: 238
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
Gender: Male

Re: Decent Socks

Post by loverman shabba »

karrimor trainer socks are the best ive worn

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Karrimor-Pack-R ... B00CXL02DY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Decent Socks

Post by bustedflush »

wabbithunta wrote:
bustedflush wrote:
paulf0203 wrote:Can anyone recommend some decent socks as these new anvil trainers are wearing mine out good and proper, thanks in anticipation.

I have thick black JCB ones, about 5 quid for 3 pairs but each pair lasts 4-5 weeks (obviously that's 24-30 shifts and washing and NOT continuous wear before the funnies come in..)
The thicker equivalent in the Caterpillar ones too, they are so similar it wouldn't surprise me if made my the same manufacturer as the JCB ones I mentioned above. Beware though, there are Caterpillar socks you see in the supermarket which are a THINNER version and should be avoided as are total crap to quote Gerald Ratner, and will last a fortnight if lucky.

There are more expensive hard-wearing socks which have strengthening with extra nylon/polyester with the cotton, but wearing them with the new 'waterproof' Anvil trainers will leave your feet smelling like George Michael's bell-end after an arduous day in the sun, as they don't absorb moisture as well.

I'd suggest settling for the thicker cotton-only ones.
Nice info.. but what could worry people is that you "know" what George Michaels bell-end smells like.. :crazy:
LOL...I don't know, in the same way I don't know what it's like to stand on the summit of Everest, but DO know it's f*cking cold.... :Very Happy
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Decent Socks

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Try JB Sports...they bought out Karrimor and you can often get deals on Karrimor Trekking socks...... I always buy a handful everytime I venture out from the village on a shopping trip ! :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Decent Socks

Post by k979aaa »

I would highly recommend my DOM'S socks they never wear out will ask him next time if he has the time for my questions.
Caniel
Posts: 623
Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
Gender: Female
Location: The Batcave

Re: Decent Socks

Post by Caniel »

I use a sock Matalan sell called "Work Socks" they come in packs of 5 and cost about £5-6. They have double thick toes and ankles so they last ages.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Decent Socks

Post by wannabeek »

This isn't what anyone would consider 'decent' socks, but it's what I do and have no complaints myself.

I get the cheapest cheapy bargain-bucket cotton socks available, usually can get several months' supply for just a few quid at a market stall or poundshop. I wear 2 pairs at a time to prevent blisters, an extra pair in winter for warmth. As they wear out I do darn them if they're not too bad, then bin them as they get worse.

I can't imagine paying fifteen quid for a pair of socks, my shoes cost less than that!
oldrope
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 221
Joined: 27 Oct 2007, 16:17
Location: lapland

Re: Decent Socks

Post by oldrope »

I get mine from Premark,they have a"W" at the top and are £4 ish for 5