ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Pushy p+l partner

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Si9975
Posts: 27
Joined: 27 Jan 2014, 18:36
Gender: Male

Pushy p+l partner

Post by Si9975 »

What would you class as a overweight, because my p+l partner who's the driver... Makes me carry things which barely fit into my bag, very rare does he go and deliver the overweights because he's to busy squeezing them in my bag. Even when he does do the the overweight he waits till I'm in the van drives me to the location and makes me get out to do them... Is this right?
shepherdess
Posts: 445
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 16:16
Gender: Female

Re: Pushy p+l partner

Post by shepherdess »

No its not right, the drivers loops are supposed to have time built into them to enable hime to go off and do the overweight parcels. Tell him thats not your job
Lightweight andy
Posts: 36
Joined: 06 Feb 2014, 18:57
Gender: Male

Re: Pushy p+l partner

Post by Lightweight andy »

Your not meant to be carrying bags hence the reason for the trolleys, if I can get it in then I will take it, but if I can't then the driver should do it
philsdeals19
Posts: 62
Joined: 29 Jul 2010, 17:44
Gender: Male

Re: Pushy p+l partner

Post by philsdeals19 »

Your going to have to grow a pair my friend and stick up for yourself. I have seen this kind of thing going on before. Some drivers are pure lazy. If you both work together and help each other it works a lot better. It's hard enough now without having a lazy partner.
Si9975
Posts: 27
Joined: 27 Jan 2014, 18:36
Gender: Male

Re: Pushy p+l partner

Post by Si9975 »

Because I'm still fairly new I though it was normal... But when I've worked with others they have plenty of time to go do the over weights and don't even ask me or expect me to take them.... Feel like I'm being taken for a mug. The drivers loops are a lot shorter than mine yet I always Manage to get back to the van before them as well
hans solo
Posts: 3280
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

Re: Pushy p+l partner

Post by hans solo »

if you are using a bag its 8kg max weight any more take out pkts till you get to 8kg give them to driver who should then approach mgmt as what to do with them
any more than 8kg not your prob
hans solo
Posts: 3280
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

Re: Pushy p+l partner

Post by hans solo »

if you are using a bag its 8kg max weight any more take out pkts till you get to 8kg give them to driver who should then approach mgmt as what to do with them
any more than 8kg not your prob
venger
Posts: 206
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 13:38

Re: Pushy p+l partner

Post by venger »

Tell him to f**k off. If it's heavy and large, then you don't take it. If you use a trolley that might change things, but if you have a bag over your shoulder, then it's not possible.
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: Pushy p+l partner

Post by Newbie001 »

I know its supposed to be 8 kg a bag, but very few offices seem to adhere to this. You find that some loops especially with magazines are probably twice that. Being a spare most of the time, i would say most of the bags I take out are easily 20 kg plus.
venger
Posts: 206
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 13:38

Re: Pushy p+l partner

Post by venger »

Newbie001 wrote:I know its supposed to be 8 kg a bag, but very few offices seem to adhere to this. You find that some loops especially with magazines are probably twice that. Being a spare most of the time, i would say most of the bags I take out are easily 20 kg plus.
Then you must STOP. You do your back in and you're not covered at all. It's H&S. Sort it out. Don't carry a 20K bag.
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: Pushy p+l partner

Post by Newbie001 »

Unfortunately most new staff now are on part-time three month temporary contract. You get impression if you say no or become difficult by following the rules (otherwise why would they ask you on a daily basis to break the rules) you won't be there for long.
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Re: Pushy p+l partner

Post by BeamishStout »

Newbie001 wrote:i would say most of the bags I take out are easily 20 kg plus.
Unless you are delivering concrete I doubt this.
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Re: Pushy p+l partner

Post by Himaggen »

Unless your partner is the Manager, then just refuse to take anything which you feel you are not comfortable in carrying. Lets see the smart arse take a large or overweight tracked item back to the office and explain to the Manager whose responsibility it was to deliver it.

Regardless of the fact you appear not to be using the mandatory LWT, (which in itself is a conduct offence), maximum weights are limits not targets. You only carry what you feel is manageable up to those limits.

What your partner is doing is bullying you, they should be reported for their actions, (in the current climate this will trigger the conduct code). My suggestion is that you tell them directly to cease, if you feel that you're up to it, otherwise tell your Safety or IR Rep to have a word with them first. If it continues do not hesitate to report them to both the Union and Royal Mail for bullying.
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: Pushy p+l partner

Post by Newbie001 »

BeamishStout wrote:
Newbie001 wrote:i would say most of the bags I take out are easily 20 kg plus.
Unless you are delivering concrete I doubt this.
Used to work in builders merchant, think I know what 20 kg feels like.
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Re: Pushy p+l partner

Post by 2pints »

When i started i used to carry heavy bags on a daily basis.After a while i started to get an ache in my lower back so i asked driver if i could bring a trolley along and he sneered and called me a pussy :shock: I loaded the van and then found a trolley,he continued to take the p!ss the rest of the day and i asked him to stop many times but he relented,so i reported him to the manager.

There should be a weighing scale near your fitting apparently but i have never laid eyes on one.If its heavy i take a trolley,alot of the time it is not the packets that make it heavy so taking a few packets out makes little difference it seems to be the flats/magazines/d2d's that bulk the bundles.