ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Being refused light duties

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
lofarl
Posts: 48
Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 16:08
Gender: Male

Being refused light duties

Post by lofarl »

I've been off work for a fortnight with back pain. My line from my doctor states no heavy lifting and light duties for 2 weeks. I've been told by my boss that there is no light duties in the depot and he expects me to either do a proper shift or stay off. What are my options here?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Being refused light duties

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

He doesn't HAVE to give you light duties so your options are as you listed. I would personally stay off till the Doctors/ATOS says you are fit to return.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... idance.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The fit note
A guide for patients and employees
If your employer cannot make any changes, they do not have to. In these circumstances, you should treat your fit note as if it said that you are not fit for work and use it as explained above. You should not go back to your doctor for a new fit note.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
westlondonpostie
Posts: 559
Joined: 15 Jun 2009, 19:19
Gender: Male
Location: Close to the edge

Re: Being refused light duties

Post by westlondonpostie »

Ask him for it in writing, so when ATOS try to get you to return to work you can say that your manager has refused you the option of light duties.
mudpie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 25
Joined: 06 Apr 2014, 10:37
Gender: Male

Re: Being refused light duties

Post by mudpie »

This is where I am too. Doctor says light duties only, X rays prove knees shot, no light duties available, so dom says get a sick note. I have asked for Ill health retirement and it is being considered. Does the doctor have to give me a sick note? I am fit for light duties, but if there isn't anything to do, where does that leave me? I don't want to be sent to any office where they are short of staff and frame off D2D's!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Being refused light duties

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

mudpie wrote: Does the doctor have to give me a sick note?
Its called a Fit note now and if he medically considers you unfit to carry out your work then yes he has to issue you a fit note detailing what types of task you can/cannot carry out.
mudpie wrote: I am fit for light duties, but if there isn't anything to do, where does that leave me?
If they cannot find you suitable work then the Fit note covers you to be off sick.
mudpie wrote: I don't want to be sent to any office where they are short of staff and frame off D2D's!
Unfortunately as they are paying you, and the if the work described complies with the fit note, then as long as they are compliant with all the agreements and their contractual obligations they can send you to another office on light duties.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Being refused light duties

Post by Darren Bent »

Light duties are incredible boring to do. So as long you got evidence, stay away from work until Atos recommend you for light duties