ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Overtime advice please for newbie on 15 hr/week contract..??
-
Raikes
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 12:06
- Gender: Male
Overtime advice please for newbie on 15 hr/week contract..??
Hi..I am to start in a Permanent position 15 hour per week contract as a Postman on deliveries, working 5 days per week.
I just wondered if anyone could give some brief pointers as to how overtime pay works with this type contract? Do I receive it after my daily 3 hours are done, or after working 39 hours (if I take on any extra work available)? Hope this does not sound like a stupid question.
Trying to get any information like this from the two managers who interviewed me was like trying to get sweeties off a kid.
Any other info will be gratefully received!
Thanks.
I just wondered if anyone could give some brief pointers as to how overtime pay works with this type contract? Do I receive it after my daily 3 hours are done, or after working 39 hours (if I take on any extra work available)? Hope this does not sound like a stupid question.
Trying to get any information like this from the two managers who interviewed me was like trying to get sweeties off a kid.
Any other info will be gratefully received!
Thanks.
-
coxybaby
- Posts: 22
- Joined: 17 Dec 2013, 15:57
- Gender: Female
Re: Overtime advice please for newbie on 15 hr/week contract
So are you only doing 3 hours a day? If so you need to book your OT every day you exceed the 3 hours. In our office there's a form kept in the managers office. Not all offices will be so helpful however. Your best bet is ask other posties in your office what they do about claiming overtime.
Also keep in mind that overtime is paid the following week :-)
Also keep in mind that overtime is paid the following week :-)
-
jw1234
- Posts: 76
- Joined: 08 Dec 2011, 20:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Overtime advice please for newbie on 15 hr/week contract
15 hours! This just gets worse and worse. Soon there will be 1hr contracts, with the doms 'forgetting' most of the overtime.
-
Soulazydll
- Posts: 34
- Joined: 09 Jan 2012, 11:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Overtime advice please for newbie on 15 hr/week contract
And keep a personal record of all the OT you do.
-
blisterfeet
- Posts: 103
- Joined: 13 Jun 2012, 18:48
- Gender: Male
Re: Overtime advice please for newbie on 15 hr/week contract
You'll get paid extra for working over your 3 hours but it'll be at basic hourly pay. You won't get overtime rate until you've worked 39 hours.
-
cheshirecheese
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 25 Apr 2012, 13:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Overtime advice please for newbie on 15 hr/week contract
Don't forget your paid meal break!
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Overtime advice please for newbie on 15 hr/week contract
Never mind soon - sadly we have already had themjw1234 wrote:15 hours! This just gets worse and worse. Soon there will be 1hr contracts, with the doms 'forgetting' most of the overtime.
2009 http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 34&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2008 http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =1&t=11929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2007 http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 81&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Overtime advice please for newbie on 15 hr/week contract
on 3 hrs a day ? how long is the paid break ? 1 minute ?cheshirecheese wrote:Don't forget your paid meal break!
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Overtime advice please for newbie on 15 hr/week contract
we have saturday only postiesRaikes wrote:Hi..I am to start in a Permanent position 15 hour per week contract as a Postman on deliveries, working 5 days per week.
I just wondered if anyone could give some brief pointers as to how overtime pay works with this type contract? Do I receive it after my daily 3 hours are done, or after working 39 hours (if I take on any extra work available)? Hope this does not sound like a stupid question.
Trying to get any information like this from the two managers who interviewed me was like trying to get sweeties off a kid.
Any other info will be gratefully received!
Thanks.
-
Speedmeister
- Posts: 119
- Joined: 10 Feb 2011, 22:06
- Gender: Male
Re: Overtime advice please for newbie on 15 hr/week contract
You'll probably end up doing full time hours - that's what it's like at our understaffed office. Saves the tight arses £££££ s when you're on leave/off sick.
They take the profits, you take the blame
When they tell you there's no rise in pay
When they tell you there's no rise in pay
-
Raikes
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 12:06
- Gender: Male
Re: Overtime advice please for newbie on 15 hr/week contract
Thanks for all the advice - and the humour at my expense!!
It has really just confirmed what I thought, especially RM saving £££££s at my expense, but what can you do?
Must admit that this forum is great fun to read, and a treasure trove of information....good job folks
I have a fair idea of what I'm in for. I should have read all this before the interview!
Thanks again.
It has really just confirmed what I thought, especially RM saving £££££s at my expense, but what can you do?
Must admit that this forum is great fun to read, and a treasure trove of information....good job folks
I have a fair idea of what I'm in for. I should have read all this before the interview!
Thanks again.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Overtime advice please for newbie on 15 hr/week contract
you will probably be on 5 hrs a day for three daysRaikes wrote:Thanks for all the advice - and the humour at my expense!!![]()
It has really just confirmed what I thought, especially RM saving £££££s at my expense, but what can you do?
Must admit that this forum is great fun to read, and a treasure trove of information....good job folks![]()
I have a fair idea of what I'm in for. I should have read all this before the interview!
Thanks again.
-
Rory
- Posts: 90
- Joined: 09 Aug 2012, 12:42
- Gender: Male
Re: Overtime advice please for newbie on 15 hr/week contract
You will need to claim overtime EVERY day you work. No duty fits into 3 hours. Firstly find out your official start time. It will usually work back from your finish time. So in my office, knocking off at 3pm, 1200-1500 would be your daily shift. In that case you will need to claim 1000-1200, two hours for part time (your walk is prepared for you) or 700-1200, five hours if you're in covering a full timers prep, taking meal relief into account. However duty times vary from office to office, 630-1430 and so on. Even methods of claiming OT vary, but this a mere example of how our operation works. Remember, you will need to find the overtime sheet EVERY day, without doubt. Don't work for free.
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Overtime advice please for newbie on 15 hr/week contract
[
Last edited by 97gaz on 16 Dec 2019, 01:04, edited 1 time in total.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Overtime advice please for newbie on 15 hr/week contract
rubbish97gaz wrote:I'm in my 18th year and it was normal back then to start on a 18HR contract. 6-9AM six days a week. All our new starters recently have all started on 25 Hour contractsjw1234 wrote:15 hours! This just gets worse and worse. Soon there will be 1hr contracts, with the doms 'forgetting' most of the overtime.