ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Extremely controlling colleague. Not sure on how to progress

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
bigfatbrian
Posts: 1
Joined: 01 May 2014, 22:40
Gender: Male

Extremely controlling colleague. Not sure on how to progress

Post by bigfatbrian »

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I am a brand new postie and I have been on the job for about 6 weeks.

This week I was sharing a van with a fellow postie, we'll call him Jim.

Jim has been pushy and controlling throughout the week, constantly looking over my shoulder and stopping me to make suggestions on how he would do something - from banding up to posting, he would pipe up.

It came to a head this morning, as I arrived at 8.30 (part-timer here), the second wave was on the frame and I started sorting. Jim started berating me about how fast I was bundling up and that I was wasting valuable time. He continued to watch me like a hawk, which inevitably led to me slipping up and missing a parcel. He stopped me and went into a lecture about not leaving parcels behind.
Jim left for two minutes and upon his return, he berated me further, asking "Come on Brian, what's going on?". The time was around 9:05AM. I responded in a slightly annoyed manner telling him that I am going as fast as I can and that it was nearly ready. He went completely silent and left me alone briefly.

In the van, just before he dropped me off for my first loop, he pulled over and began a five minute lecture. He casually informed me that he had been asked by management to fill in a progress report on myself and told me that he had been monitoring me all week and that I was too slow for the length of time I had been at RM. He also mentioned how other posties will come up to him and ask how I'd been and he'd have to tell them that I was slow and unenthusiastic.
The micromanagement continued. I would hop out to deliver a package. If more than 20 seconds had passed, I'd hear the van door open, Jim would appear and he would ask what I was doing. On more than one occasion I was simply waiting for an elderly resident to reach their front door.

Jim would constantly moan about me not walking toward the van when I finished before him (the same guy berating me about my speed), yet when he met an old friend while out and about, he would stop and chat for a couple of minutes.

I've been with him 5 days so far and we have finished at 2PM latest every single day. I do not have an attitude problem and I am not that slow. I am a new postie merely trying to keep my head down.
This guy is trying to get into my head, so it already amounts to bullying and harassment, but I would like to know the following:

Are posties given reports to fill out documenting a newcomer's progress? Not one other postie mentioned this to me. Is this BS he is using to try and gain the upper hand with me?
joesmyth912
Posts: 29
Joined: 17 Dec 2010, 22:41
Gender: Male

Re: Extremely controlling colleague. Not sure on how to prog

Post by joesmyth912 »

its the first ive heard of it - have a word with your manager tell him you feel your getting on well and also you have been informed by your fellow worker that he has a report to fill in about you and just ask when that will be completed as you want to know the results
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Extremely controlling colleague. Not sure on how to prog

Post by Judgee »

It's complete BS. Tell him to go feck himself, you'll be ready when you are ready and if it's not fast enough then he should climb down off his high horse and muck in and help you! :thumbup

Nob heads like him give the rest of the medium/long termers a bad name. It's no wonder new starters hate us when this is what they have to put up with.

That being said he will only treat you like this for as long as you let him.... so don't let him! :wink:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
Pinky 1
Posts: 1510
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Wales

Re: Extremely controlling colleague. Not sure on how to prog

Post by Pinky 1 »

Is Jim a training officer at your DO ?
If not, tell him to take a hike :roll:
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: Extremely controlling colleague. Not sure on how to prog

Post by Nondescript »

As said above, it's a load of crap, management would never ask an OPG to fill out a performance related form on another OPG or AG. He's just trying it on to try and scare you into working faster/coming in before your time. Report the scumbag to your manager if it continues.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Extremely controlling colleague. Not sure on how to prog

Post by rehabron »

This " JIM" must be one of the managers favourites and is looking for brownie points or a blue peter badge at your expense.
You need to be firm and ask "JIM" if he is aware of the Dignity and Respect charter and if not you can point him in the direction of the notice board that shows what will be tolerated and what will NOT be tolerated.
Maybe through in in the limited conversations that you are having with "JIM" if with his experience hoy you go about getting an HR1 form.
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Re: Extremely controlling colleague. Not sure on how to prog

Post by feduppostie »

Jim sounds like an arse

I would call his bluff and bypass him and go to your manager and express your concern that the report he has to fill out will not be positive

You will be asked what you are talking about

Then tell him 'Jim' says he has been asked to fill in a report about you

should be fun all round
tansorboy
Posts: 355
Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 12:41
Gender: Male

Re: Extremely controlling colleague. Not sure on how to prog

Post by tansorboy »

Just ignore Jim. Don't talk to him. Do the job at your own pace and don't let anybody rush you.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: Extremely controlling colleague. Not sure on how to prog

Post by korky »

go slower!
out of interest, do you both take a break in the office?
if not, you start to, nobody can touch you.
this guy is a total w@nka and talks complete b@allax
redandblue
Posts: 104
Joined: 24 Jul 2013, 21:42
Gender: Male

Re: Extremely controlling colleague. Not sure on how to prog

Post by redandblue »

I deplore violence in any way, but f..k it,just chin him :wink:
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: Extremely controlling colleague. Not sure on how to prog

Post by terry2972 »

I like that last one just make sure nobody sees you doing it lol
knackeredneedadayoff
Posts: 342
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 18:19
Gender: Male

Re: Extremely controlling colleague. Not sure on how to prog

Post by knackeredneedadayoff »

All of the above :thumbup :Applause
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Extremely controlling colleague. Not sure on how to prog

Post by rhino49 »

Nondescript wrote:As said above, it's a load of crap, management would never ask an OPG to fill out a performance related form on another OPG or AG. He's just trying it on to try and scare you into working faster/coming in before your time. Report the scumbag to your manager if it continues.
I was asked to go out and evaluate a relatively new colleague once because the managers were fed up of the O/T he was claiming and said he was not up to spec. I went out with him, watched his methods carefully, timed every section he did and then told them he was perfect and did everything by the book .... they never asked me to do it again and he is still here 15 years later annoying the hell out of them and doing a brilliant job :nana :nana :nana
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
pinstripe
Posts: 2474
Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
Gender: Male
Location: 2 left turns from reality

Re: Extremely controlling colleague. Not sure on how to prog

Post by pinstripe »

Brian, what you are describing is something I have never heard of in 15 years.

Is it possible he is telling the truth? Yes.
Is it likely? No.
Either way it sounds like harassment.

My advice would be to take 5 minutes out when you arrive at work and speak to your union rep. (If you're not a member, now is the time to join) Ask your rep's opinion on the matter either way. If he's like mine, "Jim" would be dragged by his goolies into the DOM's office for an informal chat. But it would be best if you at least inform the rep about this situation whether you intend to join or not, or if you are already a member. Keep us informed on here, I'd love to hear how this turns out.

Incidentally, there are quite a few reps on this forum, so maybe make a post on the Union Room (click on Board Index and scroll down) to highlight your problem for a more detailed answer.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Extremely controlling colleague. Not sure on how to prog

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Pinky 1 wrote:Is Jim a training officer at your DO ?
If not, tell him to take a hike :roll:
Analysis, Mr. Spock.
It's training, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it;
it's training Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, Brian.


Back to seriousness - its possible that he has been asked to keep an eye on you, but as people said unlikely. Its unfortunate but in the job you need the hide of rhino, and the patience of job, and a very strong character to survive.

If he backed down after you stood up for yourself even for just a few minutes, then I would suggest doing the same again when he gets under your skin, if he is a decent bloke he should wind his neck in and perhaps respect you. If he isn't - the WGAF.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.