ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Withholding sick pay

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dane
Posts: 13
Joined: 13 Apr 2012, 12:06
Gender: Male

Withholding sick pay

Post by Dane »

Hi,

I have been off work dues to stress, I have a doctors note to verify this and have submitted it almost 2 weeks ago. I am still being refused sick pay.

Atos' report which was submitted yesterday suggest I am fit for work but in another location and so sick pay is still being withheld.

Is this right?

If anybody can offer guidance, wisdom, (money for mortgage payments-lol) that would be great!!

Thank you in advance

Just another postie
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Withholding sick pay

Post by Hitcher »

In the union? If not, join asap.
Dane
Posts: 13
Joined: 13 Apr 2012, 12:06
Gender: Male

Re: Withholding sick pay

Post by Dane »

Yes, in the union Hitcher
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Withholding sick pay

Post by coxie »

Many of the policy objectives of the Union have been achieved, including notification and contact policies which will replace the various un-agreed contact strategies currently in place, a more systematic and supportive approach to long term absence and protections for those members with underlying health issues and the cessation of stoppage of sick pay without good reason and appropriate notification. It was not possible to achieve all of the Union’s policy objectives – for example we could not secure an appeal process at stages 1 and 2 of the procedure, but steps such as the introduction of an informal review normally be expected to take place before any formal action under the procedure represent a significant improvement.


Did they give you good reason and appropriate notification? Many managers forget the proceedure has changed and think they can do what they like. Ring area union rep.
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Re: Withholding sick pay

Post by feduppostie »

how long have you worked for Royal mail?
Dane
Posts: 13
Joined: 13 Apr 2012, 12:06
Gender: Male

Re: Withholding sick pay

Post by Dane »

coxie wrote:Many of the policy objectives of the Union have been achieved, including notification and contact policies which will replace the various un-agreed contact strategies currently in place, a more systematic and supportive approach to long term absence and protections for those members with underlying health issues and the cessation of stoppage of sick pay without good reason and appropriate notification. It was not possible to achieve all of the Union’s policy objectives – for example we could not secure an appeal process at stages 1 and 2 of the procedure, but steps such as the introduction of an informal review normally be expected to take place before any formal action under the procedure represent a significant improvement.


Did they give you good reason and appropriate notification? Many managers forget the proceedure has changed and think they can do what they like. Ring area union rep.

Coxie, The manager in question notified me that my pay/sick pay would be stopped if I left work to seek professional, medical advice, as was the condition I was in, I felt I had to act immediately. I was told at that point if I didn't go out on delivery, my pay would be stopped.

I have been speaking to the union rep, but came on here to see what else I could find out.

Thanks
Dane
Posts: 13
Joined: 13 Apr 2012, 12:06
Gender: Male

Re: Withholding sick pay

Post by Dane »

feduppostie wrote:how long have you worked for Royal mail?

Feduppostie,

I have been working for Royal Mail for just over 7 years
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Withholding sick pay

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

What reason has been given for the stoppage of pay?

Also how much sick leave have you had for any conditions over the last few years?
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Withholding sick pay

Post by coxie »

Almost seems like blackmail to me
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Withholding sick pay

Post by coxie »

How long have you been off sick for so far? Just the 2 weeks your doctors note covers? I'd go back for 1 day and then go off with a bad back.
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Withholding sick pay

Post by coxie »

Sent you a pm mate let me know if that helps
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Withholding sick pay

Post by rehabron »

Dane wrote:Hi,

I have been off work dues to stress, I have a doctors note to verify this and have submitted it almost 2 weeks ago. I am still being refused sick pay.

Atos' report which was submitted yesterday suggest I am fit for work but in another location and so sick pay is still being withheld.

Is this right?

If anybody can offer guidance, wisdom, (money for mortgage payments-lol) that would be great!!

Thank you in advance

Just another postie
With 7 years service you are entitled to full pay during your sick absence for a 6 month period unless you have accrued previous absences on full pay.
You have submitted a medical certificate for 2 weeks which your GP has ticked the box unfit for work and therefor RM has no legal right under these circumstances to withhold your wages and are breaching the ERA 1996 on deduction of wages and there are specific reasons that entitle them to follow this course of action and yours is definitely not one of them.
For your DOM stating that your medical condition of stress is a valid reason for non-payments is talking through his a--e and I suggest you immediately go to a 2nd stage grievance or mediation if this has been set up under the AFG&S agreement.
Also you need to put further pressure on by contacting HR explaining your situation and inform your union rep to investigate this matter.
Would also consider a B&H complaint concerning your DOM's comments but you can't have a grievance and B&H complaint both running at the same time so it will be your decision which is your preference.
If you wish to discuss further your can send me a private message.
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Re: Withholding sick pay

Post by feduppostie »

Dane wrote:
feduppostie wrote:how long have you worked for Royal mail?

Feduppostie,

I have been working for Royal Mail for just over 7 years
Have you had long periods of absence during the last 4 years?
Dane
Posts: 13
Joined: 13 Apr 2012, 12:06
Gender: Male

Re: Withholding sick pay

Post by Dane »

zx135 wrote:What reason has been given for the stoppage of pay?

Also how much sick leave have you had for any conditions over the last few years?
Hi Zx135,


The reason given was;

"I am unable to satisfy myself that your absence is necessary and due to genuine illness, a criterion that must be satisfied for Royal Mail sick benefits to be paid"


Previously I haven't had much sick leave at all. Nothing considerable or lengthy.
Dane
Posts: 13
Joined: 13 Apr 2012, 12:06
Gender: Male

Re: Withholding sick pay

Post by Dane »

coxie wrote:How long have you been off sick for so far? Just the 2 weeks your doctors note covers? I'd go back for 1 day and then go off with a bad back.

I'm just into my third week now having received another note from my doctor for a further 4 weeks.

And it does seem like blackmail...it's intimidation really.