A day in the life of an islander postwoman

Gillian Vollum’s job is a far cry from that of most pavement-pounding posties.
The mother-of-two is based on the island of Kerrera, a short ferry ride from the mainland town of Oban on the west coast of Scotland.
With a population of just 43, Gillian is well known on the island, and not only as the local postwoman. As well as delivering the mail, Gillian has also been known to lamb a sheep, calve a cow, and even rescue a man from a bog… all on her daily round.
Sorting shed
Gillian starts her day at 6am, but before she can begin sorting the mail she has to attend to her flock of 500 sheep.
When the animals have been looked after, Gillian takes the ferry to the mainland pier to pick up the mail from a collection point. She then brings it back to Kerrera to sort in her office, otherwise known as a sheep shed.
Farm life
Gillian says that her job is perfectly aligned with her life as a farmer: ‘A lot of the time I am travelling across my own land so I can keep an eye on the farm. If anything happens I’m always nearby.’
Although there are only 20 houses on the island it takes Gillian up to four hours to complete her round.
‘Most of my route is off-road and very winding and bumpy. I only travel about 10 miles altogether but it’s a very uneven route.
‘There are only 10 or 12 houses to deliver mail to everyday, but there is no circular route so I have to double back.’
Tourist attraction
The island attracts a number of tourists every year, and Gillian says they all enjoy looking at her bespoke Royal Mail vehicle.
After her old quad bike broke down, Gillian was presented with a new John Deere off-road Gator vehicle, custom-made in Royal Mail livery (pictured).
‘We often joke that it’s the most photographed vehicle around. It attracts a lot of attention as it’s so unusual looking,’ she says.
Part of the community
Despite the physical demands of her work in often-unfavourable weather, Gillian insists she enjoys her job.
‘My favourite time is when it’s sunny – it’s so beautiful driving around the island.
‘Everyone I deliver to is someone I’ve known since I was a child. It’s so nice to see the people closest to you every day. Delivering the post makes you an integral part of the community.’