ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Need some advice
-
kirstyx
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 147
- Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
- Gender: Female
Need some advice
My office had the revision in January and I signed for a hct duty that was earmarked to be split for summer savings my hours are 815- 223. I am on annual leave this week and received a call to say that when I return the summer savings will be starting and I will be on another duty in a van share which has different hours to what im on now. My question is do my start and finish times stay as they were for the duty I signed for or do they change? Whenever I asked managers I kept being told that it would be sorted out closer to the time and even when I spoke to the manager today I asked as I need to be done by 230 for the school run and van duties finish at 255 and I was told that it shouldn't be a problem, but still no straight answer I cant ask my rep as he is off sick right now.
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Need some advice
kirstyx wrote:My office had the revision in January and I signed for a hct duty that was earmarked to be split for summer savings my hours are 815- 223. I am on annual leave this week and received a call to say that when I return the summer savings will be starting and I will be on another duty in a van share which has different hours to what im on now. My question is do my start and finish times stay as they were for the duty I signed for or do they change? Whenever I asked managers I kept being told that it would be sorted out closer to the time and even when I spoke to the manager today I asked as I need to be done by 230 for the school run and van duties finish at 255 and I was told that it shouldn't be a problem, but still no straight answer I cant ask my rep as he is off sick right now.
it basically depends on how the duty was described during the resign, the fact that your planner/dom at least identified a permanent duty to be split for summer lapsing is a pretty good start rather than just making it up as time goes on so at least you knew roughly what you were signing for, but it should have been clear in writing if your attendance times would vary in the event of duty being split, unfortunately its only something that can be sorted out locally or if not the reply you like go to your area rep he may be able to help further
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Need some advice
Unfortunately if you signed for this duty knowing full well at the time of signing that this duty was earmarked for changing your starting and finishing time due to summer savings then RM can alter due to operational needs.kirstyx wrote:My office had the revision in January and I signed for a hct duty that was earmarked to be split for summer savings my hours are 815- 223. I am on annual leave this week and received a call to say that when I return the summer savings will be starting and I will be on another duty in a van share which has different hours to what im on now. My question is do my start and finish times stay as they were for the duty I signed for or do they change? Whenever I asked managers I kept being told that it would be sorted out closer to the time and even when I spoke to the manager today I asked as I need to be done by 230 for the school run and van duties finish at 255 and I was told that it shouldn't be a problem, but still no straight answer I cant ask my rep as he is off sick right now.
You mention that you need to be finished by 2.30 for the school run does that mean you have your child to collect from school and therefore flexibility to your duty would be necessary.
There must be someone who is covering your rep while of sick such as a union committee or the area rep that you can contact explaining your situation. The only other alternative is for you on your return to work to approach the manager who stated it would not be a problem that you have to be finished by a certain time due to your school obligations.
You could lodge a grievance but due to the time element of this being processed a face to face with manger is best option at present.