ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Driving question

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
world class male
Posts: 903
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

Driving question

Post by world class male »

There's a full revision pending at our delivery office and it's quite possible I'll lose my duty (driver) and could end up with a duty nobody else wants, a cover duty or worse case back as a leave reserve.
Should this happen can I ask to be taken off the list as a driver?
I only agreed in the first place to get the duty.
May be nothing to worry about but would like to prepare just in case,
it was bad enough being a dogs body before hence why I always refused to drive, It'll be even worse if I had to be the driver too.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Driving question

Post by clashcityrocker »

If you don't want to drive, you don't have to drive - unless you've got a "postman with driving" contract.
However if that meant your office was now short of drivers, they may need to source drivers from another nearby office, which would mean non-drivers from your office going the other way.
In theory you might end up a dogsbody in an office you don't know.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
world class male
Posts: 903
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

Re: Driving question

Post by world class male »

clashcityrocker wrote:If you don't want to drive, you don't have to drive - unless you've got a "postman with driving" contract.
However if that meant your office was now short of drivers, they may need to source drivers from another nearby office, which would mean non-drivers from your office going the other way.
In theory you might end up a dogsbody in an office you don't know.
No, just a regular postman who took a duty who must drive, I wouldn't worry about being shipped out, would cause them more problems getting me to/from another d/o.
So if I were to lose my duty, a simple "I wish to be removed from the list of approved drivers" note would be ok?
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Driving question

Post by clashcityrocker »

world class male wrote: I wouldn't worry about being shipped out, would cause them more problems getting me to/from another d/o.
In a worst case scenario, I am suggesting you would be transferred to another office with a surplus of drivers.
There wouldn't be any getting you to/from the DO.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.