ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Disillusioned already

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
billy44
Posts: 29
Joined: 01 Nov 2013, 09:12
Gender: Male

Disillusioned already

Post by billy44 »

5 months in and fed up of the rubbish we have to put up with.
I really did/do enjoy this job but a few things recently have cheesed me off.
So need some advice please on the best way to go about things.
I am part time on 30 hours and often do half walks to boost earnings, which I have been paid 3 hrs for as that's the norm in our office.
Got my payslip last week and I'm an hour short, questioned this with my manager and was told that it's now only 2.5 hrs for half a walk.
Now surely I should be informed of this before I agree to do the overtime?
That is going to be my argument and if in the future they ask me again I will say unless it's 3 hours I won't do it.
Or as I'm only 5 months in should I just take it as a lesson learned as I don't want to rock the boat.
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Disillusioned already

Post by rhino49 »

Two and a half, three or whatever is a local implementation with no national agreement. You should be paid for the time it takes plus whatever break extension the additional time incurs. If the DOM says it should be done in two and a half and it takes four, then that is what you claim for and should expect to receive. If it is because you are slow he may not ask you again but that is a risk you take until you get quicker at the job.
On the other hand if you get back in two hours then that is all you are legally allowed to claim for - people being paid for doing nothing got us into this hole we are in ... but people working for nothing got us in deeper !!!
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Disillusioned already

Post by datasaint »

rhino49 wrote: You should be paid for the time it takes plus whatever break extension the additional time incurs.
What are the rules regarding break extensions anyway, e.g. you work 12hrs?
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Disillusioned already

Post by rhino49 »

norm wrote:
rhino49 wrote: You should be paid for the time it takes plus whatever break extension the additional time incurs.
What are the rules regarding break extensions anyway, e.g. you work 12hrs?
30 minutes for a six hour duty, 40 minutes for an eight hour duty and then 10 minutes for each additional two hours I think - if you are working twelve hours then these breaks should be taken ... not just claimed for payment at the end.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Disillusioned already

Post by Hitcher »

Happens in our office as well.

OT for covering days off gets cut down but there's those greedy enough to do it so management get away with it. If everyone said 'no' to it they'd soon change it back.
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Disillusioned already

Post by coxie »

4 hours for half a walk in our office it's what's agreed. I'd argue the act that you wasn't informed. They tried to reduce ours but nobody done overtime and the normal rate was back in less than a day.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Disillusioned already

Post by datasaint »

coxie wrote:4 hours for half a walk in our office it's what's agreed. I'd argue the act that you wasn't informed. They tried to reduce ours but nobody done overtime and the normal rate was back in less than a day.
8 hours? That's some walk.
freelunch
Posts: 358
Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
Gender: Male

Re: Disillusioned already

Post by freelunch »

Ours is 2.5 hrs for half a delivery inc large parcels so typically on a busy day those who've signed for it will be claiming extra the next morning.
Not surprisingly, not many volunteer for the extra work.

If you want extra work but are cheesed off with the cutbacks I'd suggest you offer to do quarter of the overtime duty for 1.5 hrs pay.
Work it with a friend for the same deal :wink: - might make it easier for the manager to swallow.
Hopefully you'll at least get back to your 3hr standard for half a delivery by pricing your labour this way
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Disillusioned already

Post by dvbuk55 »

freelunch wrote:Ours is 2.5 hrs for half a delivery inc large parcels so typically on a busy day those who've signed for it will be claiming extra the next morning.
Not surprisingly, not many volunteer for the extra work.

If you want extra work but are cheesed off with the cutbacks I'd suggest you offer to do quarter of the overtime duty for 1.5 hrs pay.
Work it with a friend for the same deal :wink: - might make it easier for the manager to swallow.
Hopefully you'll at least get back to your 3hr standard for half a delivery by pricing your labour this way
Your labour is already priced - 1 hours work = 1 hours pay.
freelunch
Posts: 358
Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
Gender: Male

Re: Disillusioned already

Post by freelunch »

dvbuk55 wrote:Your labour is already priced - 1 hours work = 1 hours pay.
Overtime being optional - a market where supply and demand kicks in when conditions allow
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Disillusioned already

Post by dvbuk55 »

freelunch wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:Your labour is already priced - 1 hours work = 1 hours pay.
Overtime being optional - a market where supply and demand kicks in when conditions allow
Strange that I don't recall that premise being in any agreement, national, local or by office - please point it out and I can show it to the members in my office who I'm sure will be only too happy to stick their neck on the line - because if management want an end to the blackmail all they need do is chop the head off someone and overnight the blackmail stops.
freelunch
Posts: 358
Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
Gender: Male

Re: Disillusioned already

Post by freelunch »

dvbuk55 wrote:Strange that I don't recall that premise being in any agreement, national, local or by office - please point it out and I can show it to the members in my office who I'm sure will be only too happy to stick their neck on the line - because if management want an end to the blackmail all they need do is chop the head off someone and overnight the blackmail stops.
Management, at least in our place, would not welcome an end to the blackmail. Far too many on 'deals' and 'favours'.
A P&L pairing go out on overtime and receive different rates of pay for the same work. Deals to be done, often individually.
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Disillusioned already

Post by dvbuk55 »

freelunch wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:Strange that I don't recall that premise being in any agreement, national, local or by office - please point it out and I can show it to the members in my office who I'm sure will be only too happy to stick their neck on the line - because if management want an end to the blackmail all they need do is chop the head off someone and overnight the blackmail stops.
Management, at least in our place, would not welcome an end to the blackmail. Far too many on 'deals' and 'favours'.
A P&L pairing go out on overtime and receive different rates of pay for the same work. Deals to be done, often individually.
I'm hearing what you say but sooner or later who pays the piper will call the exact tune and not some paradiddle thought up by a manager to complete the work to save them from doing it - time is money and that time is going to have to be accounted for. Pity those claiming more time no matter at whose behest when the PDAs become truly operational better to get used to the idea now rather than face the music later.
freelunch
Posts: 358
Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
Gender: Male

Re: Disillusioned already

Post by freelunch »

dvbuk55 wrote:
freelunch wrote:I'm hearing what you say but sooner or later who pays the piper will call the exact tune and not some paradiddle thought up by a manager to complete the work to save them from doing it - time is money and that time is going to have to be accounted for. Pity those claiming more time no matter at whose behest when the PDAs become truly operational better to get used to the idea now rather than face the music later.
Agree with you though I wouldn't pity those getting the best deals. Management 'favourites' are the most protected yet extract the best deals often completing their 'overtime' in their normal duty time. Of course they're coming in early, omitting breaks, running round, etc. The one's to be shot down will be those who genuinely work all the hours they can - when some junior accountant in head office points out how much those guys' earned.
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Disillusioned already

Post by dvbuk55 »

freelunch wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
freelunch wrote:I'm hearing what you say but sooner or later who pays the piper will call the exact tune and not some paradiddle thought up by a manager to complete the work to save them from doing it - time is money and that time is going to have to be accounted for. Pity those claiming more time no matter at whose behest when the PDAs become truly operational better to get used to the idea now rather than face the music later.
Agree with you though I wouldn't pity those getting the best deals. Management 'favourites' are the most protected yet extract the best deals often completing their 'overtime' in their normal duty time. Of course they're coming in early, omitting breaks, running round, etc. The one's to be shot down will be those who genuinely work all the hours they can - when some junior accountant in head office points out how much those guys' earned.
Well we all know that life's not fair freelunch and that's a fact.