ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sick Stage 2?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Blokeofkent
Posts: 3
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 21:18
Gender: Male

Sick Stage 2?

Post by Blokeofkent »

Hi,
Was hoping to hear anybody's ideas on this.
I recently had 9 weeks off with a back problem. I returned on light duties, as per Atos recommendations. During rehab I actually broke my toe at home and had a further week off. After returning I was told a stage 1 interview would be held (expected) but on the day of the interview I had to go sick again (before the interview), with the back problem that never actually went away, and had become unbearable again. I then received written notification a few days later that I had indeed been given a stage 1 warning (without having an interview).
I'm having NHS appointed physio and an MRI scan is booked and I'm waiting to hear from Atos who have been contacted by management again. I've been signed off by my doc for 2 weeks so I'm wondering whether this is going to trigger a stage 2 or not, seeing as it's a recurring problem. One manager suggested informally that because it was ongoing problem and I had attempted to comply with Atos that it wouldn't, but unfortunately I know what they're like!
Hope anyone has any comments.
Thanks
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Sick Stage 2?

Post by krussel »

Firstly welcome :wave

It really comes down to your local manager and how he plays it. You have been off for 3 periods of absence but 2 are related to your back problem and should be covered by ATOS. Your manager has already issued a stage one for the back problem so I would say its most likely he will issue a second stage for the broken toe.

Should you find yourself at a stage 3 (your going to need a rep) the first stage (for your back) should be able to be removed as your under a ATOS program.

Like I said a lot depends on your manager. Some people seem to be able to have loads of sick without any real problems and others get hammered. :hmmmm
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Blokeofkent
Posts: 3
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 21:18
Gender: Male

Re: Sick Stage 2?

Post by Blokeofkent »

Thanks for your comments.
I'm very rarely off sick and I've always found the managers down there fairly reasonable, however I've never been in this situation before. It seems pretty backward that I should get penalised for actually trying to get back to work. The back problem has never gone away, so if I'd stayed off I would presumably only accrued one absence and not be thinking about stage 2! :crazy:
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: Sick Stage 2?

Post by daveyeff »

that's all down to knowing how to play the system. RM brought that on themselves though.!! if they weren't so mechanistic when issuing stages at the drop of a hat, then people would more than likely play the game with them. they've put people on stages in our office for being off with broken limbs, back problems, even heart problems.
Blokeofkent
Posts: 3
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 21:18
Gender: Male

Re: Sick Stage 2?

Post by Blokeofkent »

I've just spoken to a manager when handing in my latest sick note. He said I was likely to get a stage 2, and if it went to stage three, the 2 periods of sick for my back would be counted as 1, knocking it back to a stage 2.
Theoretically then, if I keep going back to work when my back is 'okay' but taking time off when it's at it's worse, does this still count as 1 instance of sick, because otherwise I'm more likely to stay off until my condition is completely better, or at least consistently 'okay'!