blisterfeet wrote:Just because they say there's a 4% drop in letters doesn't mean we got to 4% less houses. If I went to a house last year with 10 letters a day but now I go there with 8 letters a day does that mean that it takes me less time to deliver to that house? so I don't understand how they can say because the mail volume is down you have time to lapse.
But it does take less time, in your example you have saved time...
Placing those letters in the walk frame (bigger saving if they were in the manual, rather than the sequenced)
The time you spend outside the previous address, filtering mail while standing still, ready for this address now has 2 less letters
However, in my experience, most OPGs are oblivious to the second time saver above. They prefer to try and gain some time on delivery, risking a trip, while filtering mail for the next address while on the move.
Maybe my walk is special, but I notice that the number of houses with no letters but have an attendence call parcel increases big time in the summer. So as a prompt, I turn over the first letter in the slot after the address. We have been told not to put p739s in the actual address' frame slot as a prompt. Guess the fun and games when lino wants to count call rates, not taking account of parcels for places with no letters (not to mention they never count "double slots" properly, they just treat each slot as one delivery point, not so clever when many walks have ~25-40% double slotting frames to make each frame the same size regardless).