ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
New level of bulls##t......
-
RetroJunkie
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 16:06
- Gender: Female
New level of bulls##t......
So it seems this company has taken yet another low, ok any suggestions on where I stand, currently on a 30 hr contract, to which 3 ppl have now retired, applied for a phg vacancy in which would be Monday-Saturday 8/4 or so I thought, I'm due to start said duty in a fortnight, only to now be told that there is no progression from part time to full time and i wouldn't even be paid 2 hours overtime each day, instead I will work 10-4 each day even though the job advertised fulltime, they expected a full time member of staff to apply for the role in which the whole office didn't only part time staff in which I have the most seniority and was deemed most suitable by the dom, any advice would be great, other than that I feel like this company has just kicked me in the guts 
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: New level of bulls##t......
Tell them you don't want it then,you were misled.
-
RetroJunkie
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 16:06
- Gender: Female
Re: New level of bulls##t......
Yeah and stay part time forever in a day awesomeBahia Feliz wrote:Tell them you don't want it then,you were misled.
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: New level of bulls##t......
It does not make much sense... If a full time staff had applied for the PHG (?) job as advertised then there would have been a further FT vacancy down the line.
Unless, of course, they are planning on reducing the office hours by replacing a FT vacancy with a PT one. Something they have done with you in a backhanded and frankly shabby and fraudulent way.
You are not the first to state such an occurrence, there was another post here a few weeks or months back...
We have had the same in our office. The manager just changed a full time post to part time and then a 32 hour part to 27.5 hours to save hours and money. So the posties that wanted to go up to full time were denied... Yet, we have temporary FT staff and the CWU area rep knows about this and claims to be doing something about it. Furthermore, we have 2 or 3 vacancies as of today.
Why can't they just say straightforwardly that they will no longer be employing anybody on full time hours?
Unless, of course, they are planning on reducing the office hours by replacing a FT vacancy with a PT one. Something they have done with you in a backhanded and frankly shabby and fraudulent way.
You are not the first to state such an occurrence, there was another post here a few weeks or months back...
We have had the same in our office. The manager just changed a full time post to part time and then a 32 hour part to 27.5 hours to save hours and money. So the posties that wanted to go up to full time were denied... Yet, we have temporary FT staff and the CWU area rep knows about this and claims to be doing something about it. Furthermore, we have 2 or 3 vacancies as of today.
Why can't they just say straightforwardly that they will no longer be employing anybody on full time hours?
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: New level of bulls##t......
Your body won't wear out so quickly if you stay part time.RetroJunkie wrote:Yeah and stay part time forever in a day awesomeBahia Feliz wrote:Tell them you don't want it then,you were misled.
Every cloud ....
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: New level of bulls##t......
Well, that is what management is saying to you in a fashion. You should get the Union and if lucky, they might give you Ft hours. However, you might have to decide to either take the PHG role as a part timer or stay where you are as a part timer; if unsuccessful.RetroJunkie wrote:Yeah and stay part time forever in a day awesomeBahia Feliz wrote:Tell them you don't want it then,you were misled.
If I were you, I will take the office caller job as there will be plenty of OT hours anyway and they do get some other perks; but it is not the same as being a FT when it comes to bonuses and the rest.
-
RetroJunkie
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 16:06
- Gender: Female
Re: New level of bulls##t......
Phg being callers office or locker whatever you wanna call it either way the other full timer in the callers office will have to work 3 hours 30 mins each day intill I arrive on there own aswellchrisj wrote:It does not make much sense... If a full time staff had applied for the PHG (?) job as advertised then there would have been a further FT vacancy down the line.
Unless, of course, they are planning on reducing the office hours by replacing a FT vacancy with a PT one. Something they have done with you in a backhanded and frankly shabby and fraudulent way.
You are not the first to state such an occurrence, there was another post here a few weeks or months back...
We have had the same in our office. The manager just changed a full time post to part time and then a 32 hour part to 27.5 hours to save hours and money. So the posties that wanted to go up to full time were denied... Yet, we have temporary FT staff and the CWU area rep knows about this and claims to be doing something about it. Furthermore, we have 2 or 3 vacancies as of today.
Why can't they just say straightforwardly that they will no longer be employing anybody on full time hours?
I'd like that also as you just feel like your hanging on, in the mean time loosing out on a fair chunk of money each week being part time.
I do work SA in the callers office late night on a Wednesday for 4 hours to boost my income, but can never be off from it as I'll loose out on the overtime, just tryna get some security in my life and it seems it will. Never happen with this company.
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: New level of bulls##t......
RetroJunkie wrote:So it seems this company has taken yet another low, ok any suggestions on where I stand, currently on a 30 hr contract, to which 3 ppl have now retired, applied for a phg vacancy in which would be Monday-Saturday 8/4 or so I thought, I'm due to start said duty in a fortnight, only to now be told that there is no progression from part time to full time and i wouldn't even be paid 2 hours overtime each day, instead I will work 10-4 each day even though the job advertised fulltime, they expected a full time member of staff to apply for the role in which the whole office didn't only part time staff in which I have the most seniority and was deemed most suitable by the dom, any advice would be great, other than that I feel like this company has just kicked me in the guts
get your rep on to this, they advertised the post therefore it should be filled, if they are not happy because no ft applied thats their tough
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: New level of bulls##t......
I'll tell you what's happened here - the DIM has reduced your offer/hours to a 'walk only' position, i.e. the job is thrown off and bagged up when you arrive for work. You just deliver it. So, as for 'wear and tear' on your body the previous poster mentioned, it'll still be the same as you'll still do the same walking/driving.
How do I know? Because they're trying it on in my office. I am 32.5 hours which is fine for me, and come in at 7.34 and finish at 13.54 or 8.04 until 14.44 W/Th/Fr. I have just gone 3 months without a contract, which I have just signed retrospectively for the last 3 months. I have just received another 3 days later for ONE month at 32.5
Several FTC's have arrived AFTER me and 2 have been given PERMANENT 24-hour contracts. I am still a temp. Seniority applies to temps too, for holidays, round applications; everything. A temp has to have the same rights/conditions as perms do. My rep told me "I can get you a perm 24-hour contract OR you can stay on 32.5 and hope that when we lose a few in September (according to the DIM) you aren't one."
I pointed out that IF I was binned in September it would be unfair as people with less service have been made permanent 24's. He winked at me and said "Yes, there you go - it wouldn't be workable or fair, and the DIM would've messed up, so keep quiet and keep going" to paraphrase him.
So, it's pretty obvious that after the privatization, here comes the 'efficiency drive' which would add a nice bonus to the DIMs and eke an extra percent or two on the already big profits, at our expense.
So, to the OP - you aren't the only one and it seems endemic at some offices. Sorry to hear you are getting twisted too...
How do I know? Because they're trying it on in my office. I am 32.5 hours which is fine for me, and come in at 7.34 and finish at 13.54 or 8.04 until 14.44 W/Th/Fr. I have just gone 3 months without a contract, which I have just signed retrospectively for the last 3 months. I have just received another 3 days later for ONE month at 32.5
Several FTC's have arrived AFTER me and 2 have been given PERMANENT 24-hour contracts. I am still a temp. Seniority applies to temps too, for holidays, round applications; everything. A temp has to have the same rights/conditions as perms do. My rep told me "I can get you a perm 24-hour contract OR you can stay on 32.5 and hope that when we lose a few in September (according to the DIM) you aren't one."
I pointed out that IF I was binned in September it would be unfair as people with less service have been made permanent 24's. He winked at me and said "Yes, there you go - it wouldn't be workable or fair, and the DIM would've messed up, so keep quiet and keep going" to paraphrase him.
So, it's pretty obvious that after the privatization, here comes the 'efficiency drive' which would add a nice bonus to the DIMs and eke an extra percent or two on the already big profits, at our expense.
So, to the OP - you aren't the only one and it seems endemic at some offices. Sorry to hear you are getting twisted too...
-
RetroJunkie
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 16:06
- Gender: Female
Re: New level of bulls##t......
Completely different can of worms, I've been with this company 5 years and permanent I went for the post which isn't delivery as that's what I already do, to better myself.bustedflush wrote:I'll tell you what's happened here - the DIM has reduced your offer/hours to a 'walk only' position, i.e. the job is thrown off and bagged up when you arrive for work. You just deliver it. So, as for 'wear and tear' on your body the previous poster mentioned, it'll still be the same as you'll still do the same walking/driving.
How do I know? Because they're trying it on in my office. I am 32.5 hours which is fine for me, and come in at 7.34 and finish at 13.54 or 8.04 until 14.44 W/Th/Fr. I have just gone 3 months without a contract, which I have just signed retrospectively for the last 3 months. I have just received another 3 days later for ONE month at 32.5
Several FTC's have arrived AFTER me and 2 have been given PERMANENT 24-hour contracts. I am still a temp. Seniority applies to temps too, for holidays, round applications; everything. A temp has to have the same rights/conditions as perms do. My rep told me "I can get you a perm 24-hour contract OR you can stay on 32.5 and hope that when we lose a few in September (according to the DIM) you aren't one."
I pointed out that IF I was binned in September it would be unfair as people with less service have been made permanent 24's. He winked at me and said "Yes, there you go - it wouldn't be workable or fair, and the DIM would've messed up, so keep quiet and keep going" to paraphrase him.
So, it's pretty obvious that after the privatization, here comes the 'efficiency drive' which would add a nice bonus to the DIMs and eke an extra percent or two on the already big profits, at our expense.
So, to the OP - you aren't the only one and it seems endemic at some offices. Sorry to hear you are getting twisted too...
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: New level of bulls##t......
The vacancy was advertised in your office and as a p/t contract holder you have the same right as a f/t contract holder to apply for this position or you would in effect be discriminated against. As no f/t applied then you as the most senior person on the p/t list should have received the vacancy. If the DOM's change of mind is due to the fact that his budget is now to be increased by 9 hours then he has breached the current AFG&S concerning the treatment of p/t contract holders.
You need to take this matter up with your union rep and also the next level of management to investigate the reason for your application not being honoured.
You need to take this matter up with your union rep and also the next level of management to investigate the reason for your application not being honoured.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: New level of bulls##t......
Should have mentioned in my posting that there is no longer PHG duties as this is now classed as an OPG ( Ordinary Postman/postwoman grade)
" Retro Junkie" is this vacancy classed as a specialist post? it will make a difference.
" Retro Junkie" is this vacancy classed as a specialist post? it will make a difference.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: New level of bulls##t......
Agree with several posts..GET YOUR REP on IT! The system does suck and is very open to abuse by Unprofessional Managers.
I know where you're coming from and know PT Posties are looking for the Long Term security of a Full Time position. I'd fight your corner and go for the discrimination angle as outlined by Rehabron. Managers love the easy life and if it becomes easier to give you the job ,than not, he'll probably just sign it off!
On a similiar thread, If you don't get the extra hours have you considered another PT job? Sometimes it can fit in with your RM hours. As a lot of Delivery offices are on Industrial Sites there's often other opportunities near by. Used to have a guy who did cleaning 0530-0830 in nearby offices and then turned up for his Delivery only Duty. It worked for him. Good Luck.
I know where you're coming from and know PT Posties are looking for the Long Term security of a Full Time position. I'd fight your corner and go for the discrimination angle as outlined by Rehabron. Managers love the easy life and if it becomes easier to give you the job ,than not, he'll probably just sign it off!
On a similiar thread, If you don't get the extra hours have you considered another PT job? Sometimes it can fit in with your RM hours. As a lot of Delivery offices are on Industrial Sites there's often other opportunities near by. Used to have a guy who did cleaning 0530-0830 in nearby offices and then turned up for his Delivery only Duty. It worked for him. Good Luck.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
dazzlin72
- Posts: 321
- Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 13:56
- Gender: Male
Re: New level of bulls##t......
OPG doesn't stand for "Ordinary", it stands for " Operational"!
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: New level of bulls##t......
Sorry, that wasn't apparent in the first post. I assumed you were talking like a temp...RetroJunkie wrote:Completely different can of worms, I've been with this company 5 years and permanent I went for the post which isn't delivery as that's what I already do, to better myself.bustedflush wrote:I'll tell you what's happened here - the DIM has reduced your offer/hours to a 'walk only' position, i.e. the job is thrown off and bagged up when you arrive for work. You just deliver it. So, as for 'wear and tear' on your body the previous poster mentioned, it'll still be the same as you'll still do the same walking/driving.
How do I know? Because they're trying it on in my office. I am 32.5 hours which is fine for me, and come in at 7.34 and finish at 13.54 or 8.04 until 14.44 W/Th/Fr. I have just gone 3 months without a contract, which I have just signed retrospectively for the last 3 months. I have just received another 3 days later for ONE month at 32.5
Several FTC's have arrived AFTER me and 2 have been given PERMANENT 24-hour contracts. I am still a temp. Seniority applies to temps too, for holidays, round applications; everything. A temp has to have the same rights/conditions as perms do. My rep told me "I can get you a perm 24-hour contract OR you can stay on 32.5 and hope that when we lose a few in September (according to the DIM) you aren't one."
I pointed out that IF I was binned in September it would be unfair as people with less service have been made permanent 24's. He winked at me and said "Yes, there you go - it wouldn't be workable or fair, and the DIM would've messed up, so keep quiet and keep going" to paraphrase him.
So, it's pretty obvious that after the privatization, here comes the 'efficiency drive' which would add a nice bonus to the DIMs and eke an extra percent or two on the already big profits, at our expense.
So, to the OP - you aren't the only one and it seems endemic at some offices. Sorry to hear you are getting twisted too...