ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
In agony possible trapped nerve
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
In agony possible trapped nerve
I've had a bit of pain in my hip/lower back area for around 5 days but no so bad where I couldn't do anything. Yesterday however, it got worse and worse and now I'm in absolute agony and am unable to put any pressure on my left leg at all. It takes me about 5 minutes to sit down and get back up again and turning over in bed last night and getting dressed was a nightmare. I've had a couple of nurofen which has taken the edge off the pain but I'm worried now about how I'm going to manage at work tomorrow. I had a weeks leave last week so have been resting and I haven't a clue how it happened. I did land awkwardly the week before after stepping off a step that I didn't notice and felt a shooting pain go up my back so whether that's got anything to do with it I don't know. Just wondering if anyone's had anything similar and how long does it last? I don't want to have any time off really as I had a week off with flu back in January. I've got quite a high pain threshold and usually soldier through anything but this pain is unbearable and at the moment cannot move. Should I ring NHS direct and try and get some stronger painkillers? Would be grateful for any advice, thanks.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: In agony possible trapped nerve
Yes.Barbel wrote:Should I ring NHS direct and try and get some stronger painkillers.
They are medically trained we aren't. If you have to go sick, you have to go sick, its better than causing lasting damage.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: In agony possible trapped nerve
Yes you're right, I will do that. Thank you!TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Yes.Barbel wrote:Should I ring NHS direct and try and get some stronger painkillers.
They are medically trained we aren't. If you have to go sick, you have to go sick, its better than causing lasting damage.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: In agony possible trapped nerve
I do know if you get loss of sensation/movement and/or pins and needles tingling feeling you should go A&E as it can cause serious damage to the nerve otherwise. Often they will operate to free it. That's a worst case scenario however.
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: In agony possible trapped nerve
Yes I've got pins and needles in my foot as well. I've just phoned the NHS line and now I've got to go to the hospital to see the out of hours doctor. Typical it had to be today when I'm back in work tomorrow and not last weekend.norm wrote:I do know if you get loss of sensation/movement and/or pins and needles tingling feeling you should go A&E as it can cause serious damage to the nerve otherwise. Often they will operate to free it. That's a worst case scenario however.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: In agony possible trapped nerve
HNS direct haven't got much idea
but from your description it's probably a pelvic fracture or bursitis. 
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: In agony possible trapped nerve
It could be sciatica, take a look at this website - I've had it and it's painful but in my case it disappeared as quickly as it appeared about 3 days.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciatica" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciatica" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
philsdeals19
- Posts: 62
- Joined: 29 Jul 2010, 17:44
- Gender: Male
Re: In agony possible trapped nerve
Had exactly the same symtems as you. It happened on Xmas day and was a slipped disc. 8 weeks off back to work on light duties for 4 weeks and still in a bit of pain now but nowhere near as bad. I was told it can be up to a year to be pain free.
Get round my delivery by taking the strongest pain killers.
Get round my delivery by taking the strongest pain killers.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: In agony possible trapped nerve
I don't think you are going to make it into work tomorrow. These sort of pains take a few days to a few weeks to clear depending on what you pulled / trapped etc. There's no way you will be able to manage a delivery. If you push it then you could do even more damage to the soft tissues etc.
Phone in sick in the morning and get a appointment with your GP for stronger pain killers. Hope fully after a few days you will be ok. If your worried about your sick you can always go back to light duties.
Phone in sick in the morning and get a appointment with your GP for stronger pain killers. Hope fully after a few days you will be ok. If your worried about your sick you can always go back to light duties.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: In agony possible trapped nerve
Thanks for your replies everyone. The doctor thinks it's a trapped nerve but after reading that link DVB posted about sciatica it sounds just like that. He's given me a prescription for Co-codamol, diazepam and ibuprofen as well. He sent a fax to my GP and told me to ring him tomorrow for a sick note as he didn't have any in that surgery. Feel bad now about having more time off but as I can barely get out of the chair without a struggle I doubt I'll be able to walk miles with pouches of mail.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: In agony possible trapped nerve
"ring him tomorrow for a sick note as he didn't have any in that surgery" isn't what they had in mind when the NHS was founded.Barbel wrote:Thanks for your replies everyone. The doctor thinks it's a trapped nerve but after reading that link DVB posted about sciatica it sounds just like that. He's given me a prescription for Co-codamol, diazepam and ibuprofen as well. He sent a fax to my GP and told me to ring him tomorrow for a sick note as he didn't have any in that surgery. Feel bad now about having more time off but as I can barely get out of the chair without a struggle I doubt I'll be able to walk miles with pouches of mail.
Don't worry though, it's not life threatening.
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: In agony possible trapped nerve
Ha ha I know, not one sick note between them in the whole of the hospital!Lounge Lizard wrote:"ring him tomorrow for a sick note as he didn't have any in that surgery" isn't what they had in mind when the NHS was founded.Barbel wrote:Thanks for your replies everyone. The doctor thinks it's a trapped nerve but after reading that link DVB posted about sciatica it sounds just like that. He's given me a prescription for Co-codamol, diazepam and ibuprofen as well. He sent a fax to my GP and told me to ring him tomorrow for a sick note as he didn't have any in that surgery. Feel bad now about having more time off but as I can barely get out of the chair without a struggle I doubt I'll be able to walk miles with pouches of mail.![]()
Don't worry though, it's not life threatening..
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: In agony possible trapped nerve
Barbel wrote:Ha ha I know, not one sick note between them in the whole of the hospital!Lounge Lizard wrote:"ring him tomorrow for a sick note as he didn't have any in that surgery" isn't what they had in mind when the NHS was founded.Barbel wrote:Thanks for your replies everyone. The doctor thinks it's a trapped nerve but after reading that link DVB posted about sciatica it sounds just like that. He's given me a prescription for Co-codamol, diazepam and ibuprofen as well. He sent a fax to my GP and told me to ring him tomorrow for a sick note as he didn't have any in that surgery. Feel bad now about having more time off but as I can barely get out of the chair without a struggle I doubt I'll be able to walk miles with pouches of mail.![]()
Don't worry though, it's not life threatening..
Yeah, the Scousers have had 'em all.....
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: In agony possible trapped nerve
Barbel wrote:Thanks for your replies everyone. The doctor thinks it's a trapped nerve but after reading that link DVB posted about sciatica it sounds just like that. He's given me a prescription for Co-codamol, diazepam and ibuprofen as well. He sent a fax to my GP and told me to ring him tomorrow for a sick note as he didn't have any in that surgery. Feel bad now about having more time off but as I can barely get out of the chair without a struggle I doubt I'll be able to walk miles with pouches of mail.
Your covered for 7 days on a self sick note, only need one after that. if your GP is willing to write one then all the better. Co-codamol are really good but don't take them on a empty stomach. Oh avoid alcohol as well.
Nothing you can do now but to rest up / move about / rest up again.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: In agony possible trapped nerve
A good dose of morphine's a lot better than Co-codamolkrussel wrote:Barbel wrote:Thanks for your replies everyone. The doctor thinks it's a trapped nerve but after reading that link DVB posted about sciatica it sounds just like that. He's given me a prescription for Co-codamol, diazepam and ibuprofen as well. He sent a fax to my GP and told me to ring him tomorrow for a sick note as he didn't have any in that surgery. Feel bad now about having more time off but as I can barely get out of the chair without a struggle I doubt I'll be able to walk miles with pouches of mail.
Your covered for 7 days on a self sick note, only need one after that. if your GP is willing to write one then all the better. Co-codamol are really good but don't take them on a empty stomach. Oh avoid alcohol as well.
Nothing you can do now but to rest up / move about / rest up again.