ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Ill Health Retirement.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mudpie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 25
Joined: 06 Apr 2014, 10:37
Gender: Male

Ill Health Retirement.

Post by mudpie »

My previous posts touched on my options for leaving Royal Mail and now things have moved on a tad.

In short, I have just turned 60 and I have been struggling with my walk, being totally exhausted and having really painful knees + the dreaded Plantar Fasciitis.

Anyway following weeks of pain and frustration, I went to the doctors and it seems that my knees are worse than I thought and I have Arthriis and knackered cartilage.

Now, both me and my dom want me out and I have asked for ill health retirement. She has put this forward to higher beings for a decision.

She says they will make a decision and if they agree they will make me an offer. So the point of this post is -

Will the offer be paltry in the first instance?
Do I have the right to refuse it if I think it is unfair?
Or, is it based on a fixed formula and is set in stone.

Basically, will they try to screw me?

This is assuming they agree to it in the first place!
daveallum
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 175
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 17:42
Gender: Male

Re: Ill Health Retirement.

Post by daveallum »

Hi Mudpie,

Sorry to hear about your problems,I left just over 18 months ago due to Degenerative Arthritis in my left knee and I was nearly 60 when I left.The offer I got was about £20,000 which did include annual holidays and bank holiday lieu days which had built up,also the pension kicked in when I did reach 60 and I also took a lump sum against my pension which enabled me to pay off my mortage.

It would seem that RM are looking to get rid of full timers so I would be very surprised if they didn't agree to it.

Hope everything works out well for you.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Ill Health Retirement.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.glosamal.co.uk/Docs/Group_Il ... nt_200.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The payment is a fixed formula - read the document at the link for full info.

Last 2 pages deal with payment, but I suggest reading all of the document to avoid any surprises.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
mudpie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 25
Joined: 06 Apr 2014, 10:37
Gender: Male

Re: Ill Health Retirement.

Post by mudpie »

I can't work out what the document is saying re payment. Can anyone put it into layman's terms for me? Cheers.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Ill Health Retirement.

Post by k979aaa »

mudpie wrote:I can't work out what the document is saying re payment. Can anyone put it into layman's terms for me? Cheers.
If you get IHR and you cannot do another job you should get a retired with a pension. If you can do another job you will be paid off with 34 weeks pay plus pay in leave of notice 9 to 12 weeks! Or they can find other work for you and if you don't like it they will get rid of you on the 34 week terms!
postman nel
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 122
Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 15:31
Gender: Male

Re: Ill Health Retirement.

Post by postman nel »

mudpie wrote:I can't work out what the document is saying re payment. Can anyone put it into layman's terms for me? Cheers.
I took IHR last year after 13 years service..basically I got 34 weeks pay tax free plus 12 weeks pay plus outstanding holidays owning me...I finished on the Saturday and started my new job on the Monday. ..... :thumbup
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Ill Health Retirement.

Post by rehabron »

Ill Health retirement will give you 34 weeks @ basic pay + 9 weeks basic pay ( lieu of notice) + holidays entitlement not already taken.
Your pension if no payments have been taken you will receive a written option if you still wish to make payments into the plan giving you lump sum payments or monthly benefits at NRA 60 and NRA 65 level.
If you decide to remove from pension plan your reckonable service for monetary calculation will be enhanced by 3.75% ( this replaced the enhancement of 6 2/3 years ) In other words you should receive a pension payment basically until you have reached the age of almost to the age of 64 years had you not been forced to retire from the business due to ill-health. This will be inclusive of the employers contribution..
You will have a decision to make should you wish to convert to a smaller lump sum payment giving you increased monthly benefits.
You will have a good idea what your leaving package will be before you make the decision to accept and would suggest that you have union representation before accepting.
There would be no problem if you decided to seek alternative employment because RM is effectively retiring you on ill-health grounds on the basis that you are unable to perform the duties that RM require of you.
mudpie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 25
Joined: 06 Apr 2014, 10:37
Gender: Male

Re: Ill Health Retirement.

Post by mudpie »

Thanks, everyone. A request has gone in from me and my dom and her superior seems to be in favour. So we'll see what happens.
solcat
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 153
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 15:26

Re: Ill Health Retirement.

Post by solcat »

mudpie wrote:Thanks, everyone. A request has gone in from me and my dom and her superior seems to be in favour. So we'll see what happens.
Got mine 12 months ago,getting used to it now :Very Happy
mudpie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 25
Joined: 06 Apr 2014, 10:37
Gender: Male

Re: Ill Health Retirement.

Post by mudpie »

I hope to be joining you soon, my knees are buggered!
mudpie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 25
Joined: 06 Apr 2014, 10:37
Gender: Male

Re: Ill Health Retirement.

Post by mudpie »

I've had an interview with the regional manager and a phone assessment from an ATOS doctor and have been recommended for IHR. I have been pleasantly surprised by the assistance from the Royal Mail management since they realised that there was truely a problem with my knees that wasn't going to get fixed. I don't know how long it is going to take now, but it sounds like it won't be long.
mudpie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 25
Joined: 06 Apr 2014, 10:37
Gender: Male

Re: Ill Health Retirement.

Post by mudpie »

Ill Health Retirement Final questions.

Well, I have had my final Atos interview, and been approved for Ill Health Retirement, which is taking effect very shortly.

I am happy with the financial offer but am unsure of pension and shares implications.
Can anyone put me straight before I start making phone calls. I am just 60, taking my 60 pension now.

As a rare positive comment, I would like to say that management have been excellent in supporting me throughout the process. Atos phone assessments are weird, but with evidence backed up by my GP's findings and Hospital visits they had no problem approving my claim.
jw1234
Posts: 76
Joined: 08 Dec 2011, 20:07
Gender: Male

Re: Ill Health Retirement.

Post by jw1234 »

Once you find out how the whole shares thing works out would you mind relaying the info, thanks :dance
calpsy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 491
Joined: 18 Jan 2009, 18:29
Gender: Male

Re: Ill Health Retirement.

Post by calpsy »

A year ago I got my IHR and haven't looked back since .

Knees are great and im @ the gym mon - fri . Life outside RM is TERRIFIC ! !


:nana
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6694
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: Ill Health Retirement.

Post by RobertT »

Mudpie, you will get to keep your shares for 2 reasons:

1) You're taking IHR
2) You're 60 or above and leaving
Links to all RM pension related websites are here