ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Why the question of time taken to complete O/T??

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dalelad
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 62
Joined: 09 May 2013, 21:10
Gender: Male

Why the question of time taken to complete O/T??

Post by Dalelad »

As a part time postie needing to bump my wage up, I am am constantly doing overtime as much as possible. Management see me as one of the go to guys when they are struggling, even ringing me while im out on delivery asking me to do more on top of O/T I have already agreed to do that day. I happily do this as it helps them out and increases my income. But recenlty my line manager has been asking me how long it takes to do the O/T. I find myself having to argue with her that you get an hour and a quarter for a line and 3 hours for half a walk, regardless of how long it takes. It is agreed with the manager at the start of the day. Same thing happened today, so I turned round to her and said,"Its alright for you. You're sitting pretty in a full time job, not having to make your hours up. If you were in my shoes, you wouldn't want to be questioned all the time about how long it takes you would you?" She just shrugged her shoulders and walked off. She thinks we are paid too much to do O/T. AT the end of the day, the post needs delivering and we are not prepared to do it for next to nothing. If it takes an hour to do half a walk, what does it matter? Managers get bonuses, thats just a little perk for us mere mortals I say.
Anyone else having this problem with their line managers?
Last edited by Dalelad on 15 May 2014, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
arthur was right
Posts: 68
Joined: 24 Mar 2013, 19:01
Gender: Male

Re: Why the question of time taken do complete O/T??

Post by arthur was right »

Women as D.O. managers.........sorry but its just not right is it!!.....
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Why the question of time taken to complete O/T??

Post by NewPostieUK »

You've both been abusing the system, you've been lucky to get away with it so far. I'd quit while you're ahead if I was you.

You should only get paid for the hours you work. If it takes an hour to do half a walk or whatever, you should get paid an hour at the proper overtime rate (assuming you have exceeded your contracted hours for the day).
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Why the question of time taken do complete O/T??

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

arthur was right wrote:Women as D.O. managers.........sorry but its just not right is it!!.....
Best and worst managers I have worked under have all been female, the best outnumbering the worst.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Why the question of time taken to complete O/T??

Post by wannabeek »

Sorry mate, but this is the way of the future. Already been happening for at our DO since before I started. I'm one of the regular 'clearer-uppers', but only book the time it takes. Never occurred to me that I should do any different at the start, seeing as I've had decades of employment in other jobs before RM. This is just normal working practise in other companies.
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Why the question of time taken to complete O/T??

Post by Hitcher »

How can your OT be costing too much? It's paid at flat rate until you hit 39 hours!
Dalelad
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 62
Joined: 09 May 2013, 21:10
Gender: Male

Re: Why the question of time taken to complete O/T??

Post by Dalelad »

Hitcher wrote:How can your OT be costing too much? It's paid at flat rate until you hit 39 hours!
Exactly. Its just the going rate.
NewPostieUK wrote:You've both been abusing the system, you've been lucky to get away with it so far. I'd quit while you're ahead if I was you.

You should only get paid for the hours you work. If it takes an hour to do half a walk or whatever, you should get paid an hour at the proper overtime rate (assuming you have exceeded your contracted hours for the day).
I'd happily work all my hours if it meant I was coming in early prepping but its very rare they require me to do this. I am a fast walker and regularly am likened to a wippet! Long legs n all. What takes me an hour could easily take someone else 2. Also, to cut out the need for dragging a trolley around, I loop back to the van on regular occasions, thus speeding the process up. If I were just paid for hours I did, i'd have to start looking for a new job. Theres no way i'm gunna complete the O/T and just sit in the van for an hour or so.

Another problem I come across alot is the amount of time they hand out for O/T. I helped them out yday by delivering 2 loops that couldn't be completed. I just about managed to barter with them and get 1.5 hours for it. I know for a fact that another lad did the same 2 loops last week and got 2 hours for it, only taking him 3 quarters of an hour :arrrghhh

The way I see it is, RM wants all its employees to be part time(really is a dead end job now to be honest). The business requirements need to be met and they cant do this when they replace full timers with part timers. So in the end, paying out O/T is the only way they're gunna meet their service level agreements. I'd snap their hands off for a full time job, but only joining RM last year, can't see this ever happeneing. So its viva O/T for me!
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Why the question of time taken to complete O/T??

Post by coxie »

I make you right stand your ground, I'd not do any overtime if all I got paid was the hours it actually took me. Don't mind working my full contracted hours but I expect a decent deal with overtime. If you want to win this battle then you have to be prepared to tell them you're not doing overtime anymore if the rate drops, if you do tht then you'll get your normal rate back in a week or two but if you give in and do some on her reduced hours then you'll never get back what you're getting now. My office is still 4 hours for half a walk.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Why the question of time taken to complete O/T??

Post by datasaint »

wannabeek wrote:Sorry mate, but this is the way of the future. Already been happening for at our DO since before I started. I'm one of the regular 'clearer-uppers', but only book the time it takes. Never occurred to me that I should do any different at the start, seeing as I've had decades of employment in other jobs before RM. This is just normal working practise in other companies.
Normal practise in other companies would be to reward you with an increased rate of pay for doing OT. I think they way it works now where RM pay a fixed amount for OT works and the postie can do it at whatever speed they want.

On a side-note, I think any OT hounds are the least likely to get bumped up to FT hours because the managers know if that happened they'd be less inclined to do more hours.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Why the question of time taken to complete O/T??

Post by dvbuk55 »

So stop rushing numpty and take the 2 hours it would take any other mere mortal. You should only be paid the hours you work and your manageress should be sacked for going against current practice.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Why the question of time taken to complete O/T??

Post by clashcityrocker »

coxie wrote: I'd not do any overtime if all I got paid was the hours it actually took me.
And then they would have to properly resource the office and create jobs.
Creating jobs and taking people off the dole, they are trade union values I can respect.
Expecting to be paid 3 hours overtime for 45 minutes work isn't.

Incidentally when people are asked to come in early to prep, do they ask for 2 hours if they are asked to start 1 hour early?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Why the question of time taken to complete O/T??

Post by coxie »

clashcityrocker wrote:
coxie wrote: I'd not do any overtime if all I got paid was the hours it actually took me.
And then they would have to properly resource the office and create jobs.
Creating jobs and taking people off the dole, they are trade union values I can respect.
Expecting to be paid 3 hours overtime for 45 minutes work isn't.

Incidentally when people are asked to come in early to prep, do they ask for 2 hours if they are asked to start 1 hour early?
Maybe the union should get is a etyer eye for overtime pay then like most other jobs get. Plus I care about my colleges but people on the dole are not my concern, my family are. The duties are so long now and at the end I'm tired so if I'm going to do overtime then I'm only doing it if it's worth my while, I'm not going to mess about for £7 after tax. People on the dole are better off there than being treated like crap by Royal Mail with their pathetic contracts that they give out now, if the union were so bothered they'd never have agreed to part time temp workers and insisted on permanent.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Why the question of time taken to complete O/T??

Post by bustedflush »

coxie wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
coxie wrote: I'd not do any overtime if all I got paid was the hours it actually took me.
And then they would have to properly resource the office and create jobs.
Creating jobs and taking people off the dole, they are trade union values I can respect.
Expecting to be paid 3 hours overtime for 45 minutes work isn't.

Incidentally when people are asked to come in early to prep, do they ask for 2 hours if they are asked to start 1 hour early?
Maybe the union should get is a etyer eye for overtime pay then like most other jobs get. Plus I care about my colleges but people on the dole are not my concern, my family are. The duties are so long now and at the end I'm tired so if I'm going to do overtime then I'm only doing it if it's worth my while, I'm not going to mess about for £7 after tax. People on the dole are better off there than being treated like crap by Royal Mail with their pathetic contracts that they give out now, if the union were so bothered they'd never have agreed to part time temp workers and insisted on permanent.
I know where you're coming from - I've even taken a loop (paid fixed at an hour) and completed it 45 minutes BEFORE the time of my normal round ended. I took the p!ss basically by going fast on a light day. I didn't use the trolley, and I cut corners. Since then I've learned to do it in the allotted time paid, and keep things looking respectable. You see, once you have been observed repeatedly doing this, the going time will be cut as the DIMs will believe hence that they've been overpaying the o/t. Then somebody else doing it properly when you're off say, will encounter arguments as to why they took so long (doing it correctly.) I know it's natural to try and get as much pay for as few hours as possible, but this behaviour is creating the p/t jobs like yours that you bemoan.....I know because I was exactly like you.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Re: Why the question of time taken to complete O/T??

Post by redneck »

When you think of all the money they wasted on GeoRoute a few years back which was supposed to iron out these round times once and for all, what a farce. In our office it seems to come down to a bargaining procedure which always usually ends in management being fleeced as the ones who are available most are the ones who will only do it for the right price, a very dark art is overtime. Again, management from the desk only allows this.
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Why the question of time taken to complete O/T??

Post by coxie »

norm wrote:
wannabeek wrote:Sorry mate, but this is the way of the future. Already been happening for at our DO since before I started. I'm one of the regular 'clearer-uppers', but only book the time it takes. Never occurred to me that I should do any different at the start, seeing as I've had decades of employment in other jobs before RM. This is just normal working practise in other companies.
Normal practise in other companies would be to reward you with an increased rate of pay for doing OT. I think they way it works now where RM pay a fixed amount for OT works and the postie can do it at whatever speed they want.

On a side-note, I think any OT hounds are the least likely to get bumped up to FT hours because the managers know if that happened they'd be less inclined to do more hours.

I don't cut corners either, all I'm saying is when it comes to overtime I wouldn't do half a walk that takes me 2 hours for 2 hours pay, I'd expect 3 or 4 hours or they can find someone else to do it. Never do overtime in my duty time, in fact I hardly ever do overtime. I cut off 90% of the time so I'd do overtime legit but the rate is crap so in my office the agreed rate is 4 hours for half a walk. They tried to cut it to 3 but everyone refused to do any overtime and after just 2 hours the managers put it back up to 4.