ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

tested

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

tested

Post by terry2972 »

bearing in mind I have been in this job for 10 weeks today I was putting flats into my frame when a manager came up to me and told me he was testing me for a minute which he did afterwards I asked him what standard should I be out and what did I achieve he made no reply and went onto to test somebody else do I need to worry as obviously i aren't as quick as somebody with more time in than me
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: tested

Post by wannabeek »

I really wouldn't worry about it if I were you. I was tested in a similar way after a couple of months in the job. It was the workplace coach who supervised it and I asked him what standard I was supposed to be doing. He said, 'just do what you can'.

I don't think I did brilliantly, just adequate and afterwards I asked him if it was actually possible to fail the test and he said it would just mean extra coaching.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: tested

Post by chrisj »

At least he went ahead to test others. I would not worry too much about a 1 minute test... Apparently, if you are not up to scratch, they will have to train you better as a first measure and then they take it from there. I doubt anyone has ever been sacked for failing ???

I should like to stress that 10 weeks into the job is not an excuse for not been as good as others. It will only matter if you are moved from walk to walk and you are not yet familiar with most walks because you have not been in the job long (you can still be unfamiliar with some frames even if you had been at the job for 15 years - some just do the same walk(s) all the time)
Tuffers1875
Posts: 146
Joined: 14 Nov 2012, 15:27
Gender: Male

Re: tested

Post by Tuffers1875 »

How the frig is he going to get trained to do the job better if he's been in the job only 10 weeks? This job is all about experience and memorising and you ain't got it after 10 weeks!

Stupid job anyways :thumbdown
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: tested

Post by coxie »

There are proceedures he should follow, to prep test someone should be at the start when you have no mail in your frame. There should also be no double slots in your frame, the union have not agreed to any other prep tests. Tell him that and see what he says. He's probably just trying a tactic to get you to speed up, it's what they do.
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: tested

Post by coxie »

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... ce#p407447" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
venger
Posts: 206
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 13:38

Re: tested

Post by venger »

Don't worry at all. Those 'tests' are shite. You know the IPS tests doesn't test for accuracy, just a standard letter per minute. One bloke in our office had a bundle of mail and put it all in 1 box. 50+ letters in a second. It's crap mate.
If you 'fail' they'll just give you training.
Last edited by venger on 16 May 2014, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: tested

Post by chrisj »

It should not take 10 weeks to memorise one single frame.

The online test is worse... You have just a few seconds to learn and note things. The new calibre of posties should be able to be up and running and up to the required standard in 10 weeks, as long as the person has had basic training and is not a Reserve that is messed about from walk to walk, frame to frame.
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: tested

Post by terry2972 »

I am a reserve and do move about my frame was pretty full and had double slots the manager only Works at the DO now and then and he didn't check where I was putting the mail so if it happensagain I will be quicker lol there might be some mispreps though
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: tested

Post by DB1100 »

chrisj wrote:It should not take 10 weeks to memorise one single frame.

The online test is worse... You have just a few seconds to learn and note things. The new calibre of posties should be able to be up and running and up to the required standard in 10 weeks, as long as the person has had basic training and is not a Reserve that is messed about from walk to walk, frame to frame.
I would say it also depends on the flats you are prepping,do you get those windowed virgin media ones? imagine being tested on a stack of those when all the stuff inside has moved out of the window they are a f""king nightmare to prep.
For we were soldiers once,and young