ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

May have missed a tracked....

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

May have missed a tracked....

Post by greengiant »

I think I may have missed scanning a tracked item as delivered..... :d'oh!
I had 2 packets to deliver to an address today on the last loop of my round. I *think* when I was bundling them up one of them was a tracked, as I thought I saw part of a pink "tracked" sticker between the folds of the grey plastic on the packet (it was an odd shaped packet), but to be honest I can be sure... Anyway I eventually arrive at the customers address I check the two packets, a white one one top, and a grey one below (can't remember seeing a pink tracked sticker? then again perhaps the sticker was hidden due to the way the packets were bundled together?)

I ring the doorbell, and the customer replies asking if RM had stopped doing morning deliveries as he had been waiting in all day for his mail. I apologised and explained about work load slowing delivery down. Anyway, I handed his items over. It was only on driving home after the shift I thought, "hang on, if the customer had been waiting in all day for his packets, was one of them tracked?"

:oops:

Only 5 weeks in the job, so should I expect my P45 asap? :sad: :Boo hoo!
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: May have missed a tracked....

Post by maisymoo04 »

No don't be silly just mention it to the dim in morning be OK am always doin it . satin that am up the dims are :whistle
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
lala
Posts: 189
Joined: 19 Oct 2012, 19:57
Gender: Male

Re: May have missed a tracked....

Post by lala »

Everyone makes mistakes, if indeed you made one.
Its only a problem you become a repeat offender. Even then, one of our guys refuses to use a pda and is still in a job! I like to keep my tracked, recorded and specials out of the bundle so the chances of accidentally delivering one without scanning is reduced.
Robtor
Posts: 104
Joined: 11 Nov 2010, 11:25
Gender: Male

Re: May have missed a tracked....

Post by Robtor »

greengiant wrote:Only 5 weeks in the job, so should I expect my P45 asap? :sad: :Boo hoo!
No, don't worry about it at all. If it was a tracked, you might be asked if you remember if you delivered it etc, maybe be asked if you know the correct procedure for scanning. It might also never even be mentioned or noticed, it's not a big deal as the customer won't complain anyway.

Or it might have just not been a tracked, the amount of times I second guess myself due to over thinking and it turns out not to be the case... :crazy:
framusjsx
Posts: 88
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 16:53
Gender: Male

Re: May have missed a tracked....

Post by framusjsx »

if you cannot be 100% sure, i wouldn't worry about it until your pulled up on it - if you are it was a genuine mistake so you can just say that, easily done.

i keep getting tracks coming through that clearly say no signature so you scan them and whack them through then look at the PDA and the next thing you know its asking for a signature despite the label clearly stating not. :nana
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: May have missed a tracked....

Post by greengiant »

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I would have noticed a barcode when I checked the address on the packets before I delivered them - so perhaps I'm confusing myself?
Will try not to worry, and see what happens when I'm in on Sat.

Got a "Business Transitional LS" on my payslip today for £141, so not too bad a day! (except that, combined with overtime, delivery supplement and weekly wage has triggered a student loan deduction of £9 :mad )
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: May have missed a tracked....

Post by Lounge Lizard »

lala wrote:Everyone makes mistakes, if indeed you made one.
Its only a problem you become a repeat offender. Even then, one of our guys refuses to use a pda and is still in a job! I like to keep my tracked, recorded and specials out of the bundle so the chances of accidentally delivering one without scanning is reduced.
Yes, I do similar.
Just before bundling up I have all my Specials, Recorded and Tracked on one side and in order and start bundles with them so that out on delivery they're at the front and can't be missed. :nana
paul1231
Posts: 112
Joined: 10 Mar 2014, 22:20
Gender: Male

Re: May have missed a tracked....

Post by paul1231 »

When I sort my packets out I turn the letter at the addresses I have packets for so it stands out, guess your doing something similar? I also put *TP* and circle it on the back for if it needs scanning in any way signature or not just to get my attention and leave the ordinary packet ones blank although I always double check. if say you had a letter for house 18 then nothing till 28 but a parcel for 22 then write on the back of 28s mail. Some people also put the p739 slips in where there is packets although I prefer the first option. Just an idea if your not already doing it.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: May have missed a tracked....

Post by greengiant »

Cheers peeps.
I tend to stick a p739 card in if an address has no mail but packets. I think I'll ensure I tick the signed for / write tracked on the p739 to ensure I don't miss any in future! Also, if I have several packets for an address, I'll make sure any signed for / tracked is at the front of the bundle of packets - that way I shouldn't miss them!

Anyway, day off today :dance , so I'll forget about it till tomorrow!
on_the_way_OUT
Posts: 56
Joined: 16 May 2014, 15:52
Gender: Male

Re: May have missed a tracked....

Post by on_the_way_OUT »

maisymoo04 wrote:No don't be silly just mention it to the dim in morning be OK am always doin it
People here are being conduct coded for missing scans.

Miss deliver an item of mail, miss a scan, a customer having a bad day complains about you, incorrectly fill out a 739 next thing you know your out the door. Every single thing you do wrong or any mistakes you make in my DO and your in the office.

A few years ago you'd be right but now? Royal Mail is a public company just like Tesco's and over the next few years there going to start acting like just like Tesco's.

Unhappy Postie
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: May have missed a tracked....

Post by datasaint »

maisymoo04 wrote: Miss deliver an item of mail, miss a scan, a customer having a bad day complains about you, incorrectly fill out a 739 next thing you know your out the door. Every single thing you do wrong or any mistakes you make in my DO and your in the office.
I think it has to be a proportionate response, nobody is 100% perfect. If you forget to scan every 1 in 500 tracks that's 99.8% perfect.
bluealbert
Posts: 176
Joined: 09 Mar 2011, 16:13
Gender: Male

Re: May have missed a tracked....

Post by bluealbert »

on_the_way_OUT wrote:
maisymoo04 wrote:No don't be silly just mention it to the dim in morning be OK am always doin it
People here are being conduct coded for missing scans.

Miss deliver an item of mail, miss a scan, a customer having a bad day complains about you, incorrectly fill out a 739 next thing you know your out the door. Every single thing you do wrong or any mistakes you make in my DO and your in the office.

A few years ago you'd be right but now? Royal Mail is a public company just like Tesco's and over the next few years there going to start acting like just like Tesco's.

Unhappy Postie
Get a transfer mate,no problem like that in our office, everybody makes mistakes :nana
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: May have missed a tracked....

Post by greengiant »

Well, nowt was said today, so perhaps I was havering when I thought I had missed a track? :hmmmm
Got given a mars bar from a customer today, to keep me going on my round! :dance
Twiggy27_uk
Posts: 10
Joined: 02 Aug 2012, 22:50
Gender: Male

Re: May have missed a tracked....

Post by Twiggy27_uk »

We are only human mate. The item would have been scanned on arrival at your office then if you handed the parcel over and possibly forgot to scan it at the doorstep if the customer has the parcel it will only come up as not scanned if the sender checks to see if it's been delivered. Then it gets highlighted on the system. For example we get between 300-700 tracked items a day through our office and probery with all drives and walks combined 20 non scanned at doorstep complaints shown per week which we are trying to get down. Some of this is due to the purple sticker not being done at source thus the barcode is missed at delivery point. Also the barcode Labels are so similar to a standard amazon label they get missed too. Don't know why they can't put a purple sticker area on the labels for tracked within the barcode section like for recorded deliveries with orange barcode surrounds.
You won't get your p45 but just try and keep an eye on the parcels as they will conduct you if it keeps happening.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12178
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: May have missed a tracked....

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Twiggy27_uk wrote:We are only human mate. The item would have been scanned on arrival at your office then if you handed the parcel over and possibly forgot to scan it at the doorstep if the customer has the parcel it will only come up as not scanned if the sender checks to see if it's been delivered. Then it gets highlighted on the system. For example we get between 300-700 tracked items a day through our office and probery with all drives and walks combined 20 non scanned at doorstep complaints shown per week which we are trying to get down. Some of this is due to the purple sticker not being done at source thus the barcode is missed at delivery point. Also the barcode Labels are so similar to a standard amazon label they get missed too. Don't know why they can't put a purple sticker area on the labels for tracked within the barcode section like for recorded deliveries with orange barcode surrounds.
You won't get your p45 but just try and keep an eye on the parcels as they will conduct you if it keeps happening.
The purple stickers will never be on every single last tracked item, some of them will have entered the RM network from the nearest RDC to the sending company. The only way you can be sure (in either a MC or DO) is to check the postage mark on the item