ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Advice please..sick

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
the old reaper
Posts: 3
Joined: 23 Jun 2013, 15:58
Gender: Female

Advice please..sick

Post by the old reaper »

Hi all looking for some clarification.
I was off sick for a week (stress) my doctor was willing to sign me off for a couple of weeks but knowing I was on holiday the week after (this week) I turned it down as I thought I would be ok after a week away with the family.
Now here's the problem, I'm not feeling any better and have made an appointment back at my doctors, if he signs me off, does this act as two separate sickness knocks, or will it be judged as one since I've not been at work and not had a "return to work" interview ?
Reason I ask is I know the one week I had off will triggered a stage 1, if I am signed off again does/will that count as absence on a stage 2

Cheers All.
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Advice please..sick

Post by coxie »

Could go either way, depends if you declared yourself fit to return to work before your holiday. It doesn't really matter anyway stress doesn't clear up in a week so if it's genuine you'll have enough time off to trigger a review whether you do it as one absence or two. Argue with your managers if thy say it's two, tell them you beer declared yourself fit but they may ask for a doctors note for that second week then.
the old reaper
Posts: 3
Joined: 23 Jun 2013, 15:58
Gender: Female

Re: Advice please..sick

Post by the old reaper »

I did warn them that I was't sure if I would be fit to return after my weeks leave, said that the doctor wanted to see me again. Wasn't a lie to my DOM it's what he said.
All sounds a bit of a vague area.
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: Advice please..sick

Post by terry2972 »

follow your doctors advice on this one stress is not a good thing i have been there myself a couple of times and both times had nearly 6 months off so make sure you are in the right frame of mind before coming back to work
hope things resolve themselves for you soon
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Advice please..sick

Post by rehabron »

One of the conditions while off sick at RM is that you maintain contact with your office and give them an update on how your condition is progressing. Your GP has issued a medical certificate for 1 week stating that you are unfit for work and then you were continuing on to your holiday week. If you have proof that on contacting your office you mentioned the fact you were continuing on to your holiday week hoping this to assist in your recovery but failing that you were arranging for a further appointment with GP if you felt that you were still not fit to return to work. Would doubt if your GP would back date your medical certificate and as far as RM is concerned by not lodging a further medical certificate you have taken your holiday leave and expected back to work when finished.
Unless you have a very understanding DOM would expect further absences to be separate from the first absence and depending on your absence history you will trigger a first stage absence review. However this is immaterial as by RM standards first stage is 4 absences or 14 days. This would have a greater effect if you are currently on a stage warning for your absenteeism. Not receiving your BTW interview has no bearing on the matter.
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Advice please..sick

Post by coxie »

As I said earlier it doesn't really matter as you're going to be off for enough time to trigger a review, whether it goes down as one or two absences isn't going to make any difference to you
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Re: Advice please..sick

Post by Chelseablue »

Have other offices got a few ppl off with stress/depression? We've a good number of people. Everyone's got a breaking point .