ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Any restriction on meal time......

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
masterblaster
Posts: 285
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:12
Gender: Male

Any restriction on meal time......

Post by masterblaster »

How long after my shift begins can I be forced to take 20 mins of my break? So if I start at 6.30, can I be forced to take 20mins anytime after that, like at 7.30am? And if so am I allowed any extra time for breaks, over and above the remaining 20mins, should I go over my 7hrs 48m?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Any restriction on meal time......

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/taking-breaks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Employers can say when employees take rest breaks during work time as long as:

the break is taken in one go somewhere in the middle of the day (not at the beginning or end)
workers are allowed to spend it away from their desk or workstation (ie away from where they actually work)

It doesn’t count as a rest break if an employer says an employee should go back to work before their break is finished.

Unless a worker’s employment contract says so, they don’t have the right to:

take smoking breaks
get paid for rest breaks
Extra Breaks - not unless you are going to be working for more than 8 hours and 59 minutes.
Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
hans solo
Posts: 3280
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

Re: Any restriction on meal time......

Post by hans solo »

there would not be a problem with breaks if cwu insisted they were taken properly
if we were not paid for them we would take a whole break middle of our working day and rm deffo dont want that
if cwu stood its ground and told every member to take breaks or lose payment :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Any restriction on meal time......

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

masterblaster wrote:How long after my shift begins can I be forced to take 20 mins of my break? So if I start at 6.30, can I be forced to take 20mins anytime after that, like at 7.30am? And if so am I allowed any extra time for breaks, over and above the remaining 20mins, should I go over my 7hrs 48m?
If a manager suggests you take a break an hour after starting, I would expect it is to save them time, i.e. that there is no available work at that point, and so they are using this to cut hours overall.

If you are told to finish on a 20 minute break, then I would expect to take the first 20 minutes closer to 3+ hours after starting.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Any restriction on meal time......

Post by Hitcher »

hans solo wrote:there would not be a problem with breaks if cwu insisted they were taken properly
if we were not paid for them we would take a whole break middle of our working day and rm deffo dont want that
if cwu stood its ground and told every member to take breaks or lose payment :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause
The union has been telling it's members to do the job properly for years; it's the members who are at fault.
new2me
Posts: 104
Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 06:36
Gender: Male

Re: Any restriction on meal time......

Post by new2me »

Does a six hour day only have 30 mins meal break then? I was told by a lino months ago it was 40 mins
smileski
Posts: 185
Joined: 16 Aug 2007, 17:38

Re: Any restriction on meal time......

Post by smileski »

you're lino is wrong, but that is no surprise!

5hrs to 7hrs= 30 minutes break
new2me
Posts: 104
Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 06:36
Gender: Male

Re: Any restriction on meal time......

Post by new2me »

Cheers
There's no consistency in anything we get told :crazy:
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Any restriction on meal time......

Post by greengiant »

Are breaks supposed to be taken before heading out for delivery? I'm supposed to start at 9am, and be out on delivery by 9:13, then finish by 3 (I'm on a 27.5 hpw contract). Most days it's nearer 10am due to me having to do some sorting.
I tend to just head out the door as soon as I've got my HCT loaded, and then just spread the 30 minute break throughout the walk- rather than sitting at the side of the kerb for 30 minutes!