ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Transfer?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Posty1987
Posts: 3
Joined: 08 Nov 2012, 10:29
Gender: Male

Transfer?

Post by Posty1987 »

After some advice, I currently work in a office which is a 20 minute drive from my home town and a job has come up in my home town which is more hours so I'd be earning more and saving fuel costs as the office is in walking distance, I spoke to the manager of home town office and he said transfers are done between managers now and if your manager will release you then you can move, so I went to speak to my DOM he basically said no were short staffed he said if you were full time it would be a yes, is there anything I can do because as I said I'd be earning more saving fuel and with baby on the way it would be perfect for me
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Transfer?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Don't take them at their word contact the Union for advice they may be able to get it moving. The manager may be telling the truth, they may not, but certainly get the Union involved even if they can't do anything you won't be any worse off.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer?

Post by rehabron »

Posty1987 wrote:After some advice, I currently work in a office which is a 20 minute drive from my home town and a job has come up in my home town which is more hours so I'd be earning more and saving fuel costs as the office is in walking distance, I spoke to the manager of home town office and he said transfers are done between managers now and if your manager will release you then you can move, so I went to speak to my DOM he basically said no were short staffed he said if you were full time it would be a yes, is there anything I can do because as I said I'd be earning more saving fuel and with baby on the way it would be perfect for me
Trying to work out your present DOM's reasoning that his unit is short staffed and with you on less than full time hours would not agree to you being transferred but would have agreed to the transfer if you were on full time hours. If unit is short staffed then would have thought that dom would be more reluctant to lose a staff member on increased hours.
Bearing in mind that the job that has come up in your home town will have to be advertised and open to others and a transferee is not at the top of the list for obtaining this position.
As stated by TBT would recommend that you take the matter to your union rep and have this investigated with his/her counterpart at your home town and if necessary to area rep level.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

1) I'd go online check if the job's advertised on the Royal Mail site. Normally it's not...if it is apply for it, just to cover that end.
2) As mentioned contact the area Rep and tell him there's a job in your local office, you'd like a transfer and your Manager won't let you.
3) Talk to the Manager of your "New" Office he'll be keen to get you transferred in.
Your current Manager will fight hard to keep hold of you because he doesn't want to be left understaffed.
Bollocks to him you've got to consider what's best for YOU!
Once the wheels start to turn I believe your "Old" office can only delay your transfer for 28 days, or something like that.
Good Luck Postie...getting a Transfer nearer home, and an increase in hours is definitely a Win, Win situation. :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Postal Postie II
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 92
Joined: 19 Apr 2012, 16:19
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer?

Post by Postal Postie II »

Why bother?

I've been waiting over 18 months to move to my bigger home town office.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer?

Post by wacko74 »

We really are treated with utter contempt by Royal Mail and their managers... I would say we're just a number to them but I don't even think they regard us that highly!

As already stated, your current manager will do all he can to block the transfer simply because he can't be arsed with having to go to the trouble of replacing you, irrespective of how much the transfer could improve your work-life balance, finances etc.

Yet we're also told that a transferee won't be an automatic choice for any vacancies, how can a current employee be less suitable than someone off the street??

I'm not saying Royal Mail should just create positions out of thin air for employees wanting to transfer to another area but I'm sure they could make the whole process simpler, more efficient and more transparent, but that would require them to actually give a s**t about their employees... which they clearly don't.
cweg
Posts: 80
Joined: 17 Oct 2013, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer?

Post by cweg »

There's a guy in my office in the same position. Manager told him he can't leave because of staffing too. Another one of the guys here has been trying to get a transfer for about 5 years. :crazy:
Twiggy27_uk
Posts: 10
Joined: 02 Aug 2012, 22:50
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer?

Post by Twiggy27_uk »

Due to an old manager blocking my move to a new office because i relocated as it was easier than my now wife changing jobs it took just under 12 months. At one point If this had carried on I wouldn't have been able to afford to get to work and told my old manager this. He left it till the last moment to let me go. At that point I was paying out nearly £100 a week in petrol and my commute to work was a round trip of 160 miles a day. Once my new manager knew what was going on he did everything to help. That was in the days of transfer duty helping you though.
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Re: Transfer?

Post by Cedar_Room »

Postal Postie II wrote:Why bother?

I've been waiting over 18 months to move to my bigger home town office.
Try 8yrs.... (I think....lost count). :crazy:
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Transfer?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Brand new LTB today might help http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 15&t=62672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer?

Post by wacko74 »

^^ Very interesting, thanks for that TrueBlue... lets see if anything comes of it.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Glad to see there's some movement in the area of transfers. Same old RM situation. Basically they don't give a s**t about their workforce. It shouldn't be that difficult to get these internal transfers. The jobs there, you want to do the job,you are a trained Postie. What's the problem?
Might cost a bit of Budget for training at the new Office, but as far as I can see the only sticking point is the Bloody Mindedness of the Manager whose losing you. :arrrghhh A lot of the Bonuses of being a Posties have gradually been eroded over the years, we know the arguments of "Easy Job...Unskilled" etc but surely preventing someone from transferring is not helping their morale and just adds to their problems. :hmmmm
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
DavidFS
Posts: 26
Joined: 20 Mar 2014, 22:58
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer?

Post by DavidFS »

I pass 2/3 delivery offices ( maybe more )on my way to work. At my current office I'm a spare and keep getting shifted to other offices even farther away as there doesn't seem to be enough work in my own office. Know I wouldn't be able to apply for a transfer as I'm on a temporary three month contract. Just find the whole Royal Mail transfer system (or Lack Of) baffling to be honest.