ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Data Protection Act, DOM passing on phone number.
-
Marston
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 30 Jun 2010, 19:08
- Gender: Male
Data Protection Act, DOM passing on phone number.
Ok, My DOM said he was going to refer me to ATOS. I said "Carry on".
Within ten minutes I get a text from ATOS. I never gave the DOM my permission to pass on my mobile number, I've been told this is a stonewall breach of the Data Protection Act.
Can I nail him to the wall with this?
Within ten minutes I get a text from ATOS. I never gave the DOM my permission to pass on my mobile number, I've been told this is a stonewall breach of the Data Protection Act.
Can I nail him to the wall with this?
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Data Protection Act, DOM passing on phone number.
You gave him your permission when you said "carry on" I'm afraid.
-
Marston
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 30 Jun 2010, 19:08
- Gender: Male
-
Himaggen
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40
Re: Data Protection Act, DOM passing on phone number.
Your DOM has not followed procedure, they must ask for your permission not inform you that they are doing it. I also do not believe that "carry on" means or implies your agreement.
As far as you are concerned, you are still in control of the situation, you did not give your permission for contact nor to pass on your contact details!
When ATOS contact you tell them politely that you did not give your permission for contact and request that they remove your number from their system. Ask them to please contact your Manager when they have done so in order that you have verification of their compliance.
As far as you are concerned, you are still in control of the situation, you did not give your permission for contact nor to pass on your contact details!
When ATOS contact you tell them politely that you did not give your permission for contact and request that they remove your number from their system. Ask them to please contact your Manager when they have done so in order that you have verification of their compliance.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Data Protection Act, DOM passing on phone number.
lol is this a wind-up? No wonder B&H hotline don't take things seriously if this what they are dealing with.
-
westy23
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 66
- Joined: 24 Aug 2010, 10:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Data Protection Act, DOM passing on phone number.
Totally agree. Get a life.norm wrote:lol is this a wind-up? No wonder B&H hotline don't take things seriously if this what they are dealing with.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Data Protection Act, DOM passing on phone number.
westy23 wrote:Totally agree. Get a life.norm wrote:lol is this a wind-up? No wonder B&H hotline don't take things seriously if this what they are dealing with.
Great advice lads - I am the only one that can see the irony in these posts. WHich is sadder someone honestly asking for advice, or people who think its a waste of time asking the question, but still feel the need to make pointless and unhelpful posts.
If you think the question is not worth answering then don't post anything, inappropriate sarcastic comments only stop people posting they don't help anyone.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
pod25
- Posts: 240
- Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 21:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Data Protection Act, DOM passing on phone number.
I totally agree.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Great advice lads - I am the only one that can see the irony in these posts. WHich is sadder someone honestly asking for advice, or people who think its a waste of time asking the question, but still feel the need to make pointless and unhelpful posts.westy23 wrote:Totally agree. Get a life.norm wrote:lol is this a wind-up? No wonder B&H hotline don't take things seriously if this what they are dealing with.
If you think the question is not worth answering then don't post anything, inappropriate sarcastic comments only stop people posting they don't help anyone.
What appears as insignificant to those two who replied with unhelpful answers, is significant to the person who asked the question.
Always remember, no question is a stupid question if you don't know the answer.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Data Protection Act, DOM passing on phone number.
-
pod25
- Posts: 240
- Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 21:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Data Protection Act, DOM passing on phone number.
How much do you need ?dvbuk55 wrote:How long is that piece of string
-
Tman
- Posts: 4144
- Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57
Re: Data Protection Act, DOM passing on phone number.
ATOS contacting sick employees has been part of the job for a long time now. Clearly RM has your phone number and presumably ATOS used it in connection with your absence.
Even if your DOM hadn't asked your "permission" (which he apparently did, and you agreed) it's a bit much trying to accuse him of breaching the Data Protection Act when acting in this way.
Anyway, ATOS won't "go away" if you can't be contacted by phone. Better to deal with the problem (and them) than try and put up smoke-screens just to make the situation more difficult.
Even if your DOM hadn't asked your "permission" (which he apparently did, and you agreed) it's a bit much trying to accuse him of breaching the Data Protection Act when acting in this way.
Anyway, ATOS won't "go away" if you can't be contacted by phone. Better to deal with the problem (and them) than try and put up smoke-screens just to make the situation more difficult.
-
Brainache
- Posts: 394
- Joined: 30 Jul 2010, 21:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Data Protection Act, DOM passing on phone number.
The last two times I had sick leave (pneumonia one and appendix the other) I was asked if ATOS could be involved. `No thanks, when I am well enough to return to work I will tell you` was my reply. For normal periods of sick leave ATOS is no use to us, only management benefit by their involvement (hasselling you to return to work).
-
Glenno
- Posts: 1491
- Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 13:12
Re: Data Protection Act, DOM passing on phone number.
How Hi is a chinaman......dvbuk55 wrote:How long is that piece of string
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Data Protection Act, DOM passing on phone number.
and How Lo is his brother..........boom-boom!Glenno wrote:How Hi is a chinaman......dvbuk55 wrote:How long is that piece of string
![]()
Seriously, check your terms. You obviously grant RM permission to have your contact details, but you'll probably find a caveat somewhere whereby you grant RM permission in certain circumstances to pass these details on to 'an associated third party should a work situation require us to authorize such' sort-of-thing.
This could obviously mean the Police in investigations, but may include contracted services like ATOS. I don't think the DOM meant any harm, but was simply binning the matter off.
Although I'll put it less bluntly than some have, I can't see the point in getting in a tizzy over it. You're looking for an issue where none really exists. ATOS had my number passed to them from my ERICA form, and used it twice. I didn't subsequently get deluged with 'PPI Claim' or 'Blame and Claim' nuisance calls or texts.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Data Protection Act, DOM passing on phone number.
Guess!pod25 wrote:How much do you need ?dvbuk55 wrote:How long is that piece of string