ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

walk testing

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
osgoody1970
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 360
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 13:44
Gender: Male

walk testing

Post by osgoody1970 »

did you know, that walks are being tested by using the PDA'S?, they give you a bar-code to scan when you start your loop and also when you finish the loop, and then they collate the figures, several have been done in our office, the delivery spans are coming in at over 5 hours!!!! I await with bated breath, them saying," we will have to come out and test you, the figures don't add up" watch this space!!!
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: walk testing

Post by wabbithunta »

they can also track you as well...
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
whatamess!!
Posts: 279
Joined: 13 Jan 2011, 17:43
Gender: Female

Re: walk testing

Post by whatamess!! »

Are you one of the 20 trial office's using 'service centre'? If your not I suggest you raise this to your area rep.
spen
Posts: 531
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
Gender: Male

Re: walk testing

Post by spen »

Bet they do it on a Tuesday
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Re: walk testing

Post by Chelseablue »

Why is it like , them against us ? Never worked in a company like this in my life. What a modern wonderful company. [quote][/quote]
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: walk testing

Post by terry2972 »

I agree with you it does seem its the management against the workers I wonder why??
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: walk testing

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

This LTB http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 15&t=62492" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will be of interest to members facing this type of situation.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: walk testing

Post by Jpro747 »

Because they sit in the office all day and have no idea how long something takes! And that certain things can slow you down, maybe you have to write out a p739 three times on one street, then the next day you don't. This could be the difference of ~10 minutes, of course management don't realise this. The rounds are also worked out by a COMPUTER, which does not take into account things like waiting for cars before you cross the road, going up and down each pathway, and assumes everyone works at the same pace.
new2me
Posts: 104
Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 06:36
Gender: Male

Re: walk testing

Post by new2me »

Chelseablue wrote:Why is it like , them against us ? Never worked in a company like this in my life. What a modern wonderful company.
That's the way I see it too. I have a varied employment history of almost 30 years now and feel that i've stepped back that far!
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: walk testing

Post by dvbuk55 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:This LTB http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 15&t=62492" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will be of interest to members facing this type of situation.
To be honest we could do lapsing with so many finishing early whilst others face a real daily struggle.
However, the powers that be do not know we have the room or time to do it because our DOM doctors all the figures, ie the keys are signed back in by me at say 11.15am, however on the signing in/out sheet the duty holder is shown to finish at 2.15pm.
Tells them we are lapsing duties on his daily conference call, when we aren't etc etc.


Maybe that's the reason for the use of tracking on the PDAs - if you're working to capacity and beyond - no worries :cuppa
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: walk testing

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Interesting topic with plenty of food for thought. :hmmmm I wouldn't have any fear of this type of data collection. As DV says if you're working to your capacity, and beyond, it's not going to be a problem. I would actually like some hard evidence that the duties I cover are actually taking me that long to complete. I'm fed up of managers looking at you sideways when you book overtime and insinuating that you must have been dragging your heels or sunbathing in a layby! :mad

As soon as you pull out your note book with a record of how many Large Packets, Recorded Deliveries, Special Deliveries, 739s you filled out, Time take driving out, Time taken driving back etc etc They normally clam up and just fall back on quoting traffic figures, "The computer says........"! I (like many others I'm sure) am just getting so pissed off with the day to day struggle of just trying to get the job done, and getting paid for the time it take you! :arrrghhh

As mentioned on the letter in the link,I realise this data could be used incorrectly by Management (and I'm sure it probably will be) but I hope it's used constructively to help give an accurate picture of what's happening out there on the streets. It would be nice to have an alternative to just relying on Traffic Figures on a computer which bear no relation to the practical realities of a Posties Delivery! :shock: It might even help to solve the age old problem of making sure ALL the duties in the Office are EQUAL and achievable in the time given! Here's hoping :pray
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: walk testing

Post by dvbuk55 »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Interesting topic with plenty of food for thought. :hmmmm I wouldn't have any fear of this type of data collection.
If applied fairly and that is one HUGE if, then it can be used to highlight shortcomings from both points of view. However I believe any requirement to create new duties and tailor large duties will be ignored and only the data that supports RMs opinion that there is still slack in the system will be available - having said that if that is the case it is incumbent on both parties to rectify the problem. It will at least be hard current data instead of a less than educated guess.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: walk testing

Post by bustedflush »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Interesting topic with plenty of food for thought. :hmmmm I wouldn't have any fear of this type of data collection. As DV says if you're working to your capacity, and beyond, it's not going to be a problem. I would actually like some hard evidence that the duties I cover are actually taking me that long to complete. I'm fed up of managers looking at you sideways when you book overtime and insinuating that you must have been dragging your heels or sunbathing in a layby! :mad

As soon as you pull out your note book with a record of how many Large Packets, Recorded Deliveries, Special Deliveries, 739s you filled out, Time take driving out, Time taken driving back etc etc They normally clam up and just fall back on quoting traffic figures, "The computer says........"! I (like many others I'm sure) am just getting so pissed off with the day to day struggle of just trying to get the job done, and getting paid for the time it take you! :arrrghhh

As mentioned on the letter in the link,I realise this data could be used incorrectly by Management (and I'm sure it probably will be) but I hope it's used constructively to help give an accurate picture of what's happening out there on the streets. It would be nice to have an alternative to just relying on Traffic Figures on a computer which bear no relation to the practical realities of a Posties Delivery! :shock: It might even help to solve the age old problem of making sure ALL the duties in the Office are EQUAL and achievable in the time given! Here's hoping :pray

:Applause :Applause
RedBagMan
Posts: 1010
Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male
Location: Behind the lens

Re: walk testing

Post by RedBagMan »

+2
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...