ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Contract through post..

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Contract through post..

Post by 2pints »

Been a postie for a year,got a 6 month 30 hour contract.Got renewed for another 6 months but i have just got a new contract through post that says 3 months this time? Just wondered if i should be worried? Seems a bit odd.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Contract through post..

Post by Barbel »

2pints wrote:Been a postie for a year,got a 6 month 30 hour contract.Got renewed for another 6 months but i have just got a new contract through post that says 3 months this time? Just wondered if i should be worried? Seems a bit odd.
I shouldn't worry, my first contract was 6 months, then I had a 3 months then a 5 months and now I'm permanent.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Re: Contract through post..

Post by CPTNemoUK »

Yeah don't worry about it, I had a 4 month to start off with then I got a 1 month contract. My last one ran out 11th of April and still not received a new one.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Contract through post..

Post by rehabron »

2pints wrote:Been a postie for a year,got a 6 month 30 hour contract.Got renewed for another 6 months but i have just got a new contract through post that says 3 months this time? Just wondered if i should be worried? Seems a bit odd.
Extract from the AFG&S agreement under legal undertakings between RM and CWU.

2.7.2 FULL TIME EMPLOYEES WILL REMMAIN FULL TIME UNLESS THEY VOLUNTER TO MOVE TO PART TIME HOURS. PART TIME EMPLOYEES WILL BE ENTITLED TO RETAIN THEIR EXISTING CONTRACTUAL HOURS IF THEY WISH.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Contract through post..

Post by Lincox »

I would not think that applies to Fixed Term Contract people. Once their contract is up, Royal Mail can renew on previous contract terms, make permanent, or simply offer an amended fixed term contract with fewer or more hours, and for a shorter or longer term, or tell the person they are no longer needed.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Contract through post..

Post by rehabron »

Lincox wrote:I would not think that applies to Fixed Term Contract people. Once their contract is up, Royal Mail can renew on previous contract terms, make permanent, or simply offer an amended fixed term contract with fewer or more hours, and for a shorter or longer term, or tell the person they are no longer needed.
again open to interpretation but would have thought ENTITLED RETAIN AND EXISTING would cover any ambiguity whether fixed term or temporary contracts.
hewittinspain
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 266
Joined: 20 May 2013, 21:24
Gender: Male

Re: Contract through post..

Post by hewittinspain »

Dont be surprised if ur made permanent soon. I was on four month contracts and my last went down to 3months. A week later zi was made permanent.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Contract through post..

Post by clashcityrocker »

rehabron wrote:
again open to interpretation but would have thought ENTITLED RETAIN AND EXISTING would cover any ambiguity whether fixed term or temporary contracts.
A FTC can be ended.
Unfortunately they aren't entitled to retain anything.
If work drops off and hours need to come out of a unit, then the most expedient way is to terminate a FTC.
Not that I agree but that is the reality.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
crammypostie1
Posts: 187
Joined: 31 Mar 2013, 21:45
Gender: Male
Location: Cumbria

Re: Contract through post..

Post by crammypostie1 »

Shud b worried heard they want reduncies now and those not permant arent safe in a job
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Contract through post..

Post by rehabron »

clashcityrocker wrote:
rehabron wrote:
again open to interpretation but would have thought ENTITLED RETAIN AND EXISTING would cover any ambiguity whether fixed term or temporary contracts.
A FTC can be ended.
Unfortunately they aren't entitled to retain anything.
If work drops off and hours need to come out of a unit, then the most expedient way is to terminate a FTC.
Not that I agree but that is the reality.
As much as I agree with your comments that a downturn in workload that management would take the easy option of terminating a fixed term contract but I would hope that there is no excessive overtime being issued in the unit to the detriment of a fixed term contract holder.
hewittinspain
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 266
Joined: 20 May 2013, 21:24
Gender: Male

Re: Contract through post..

Post by hewittinspain »

crammypostie1 wrote:Shud b worried heard they want reduncies now and those not permant arent safe in a job

Scaremonger.
Thats not the reason at all.
maximus12
Posts: 76
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 08:59
Gender: Male

Re: Contract through post..

Post by maximus12 »

I agree not to worry, i had 6 months, then 3 months, then 4 months or something like that, i'm permanent now. I don't think they even work it out just randomly pick how many months!!!
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Contract through post..

Post by datasaint »

Just to add to the confusion, I started on 12 month contract and was made permanent within 5.