ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Star2 Scanners
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Star2 Scanners
Anybody got them yet?
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Star2 Scanners
no but they sound like star trek scanners which we had in 1984dvbuk55 wrote:Anybody got them yet?
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Star2 Scanners
bringon4dayweeks wrote:no but they sound like star trek scanners which we had in 1984dvbuk55 wrote:Anybody got them yet?![]()
![]()
![]()
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12178
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Star2 Scanners
They're way better the the old crappy ones. AFAIK all the lockers in the DOs locally have got them as well. It'll be interesting to see if every MC gets them.
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MC9090-G ... 147&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's what they look like
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MC9090-G ... 147&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's what they look like
-
mightymetro
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 13 Oct 2011, 08:02
- Gender: Male
Re: Star2 Scanners
Yes we just got one in our DO , it's just another big gun......will never understand why we could not use an office PDA to scan in and allocate specials like we do tracked and keep everything on the same system. Just ridiculous.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Star2 Scanners
theyve had something like that in the locker for yearsSpacePhoenix wrote:They're way better the the old crappy ones. AFAIK all the lockers in the DOs locally have got them as well. It'll be interesting to see if every MC gets them.
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MC9090-G ... 147&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's what they look like
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Star2 Scanners
Thanks for the info all very interesting. We've had the network cable installed and connected but no equipment as yet. I take the point about why the PDAs can't be used and if the price in dollars is anything to go by I'm surprised they didn't explore that avenue.
-
5plusbonusball
- Posts: 1136
- Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: up north of watford
Re: Star2 Scanners
looks big and cumbersome , hope the next type of pda looks like an iphone, why do we need a keypad and a digital keypad?
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
-
NorthernBoy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 386
- Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 21:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Star2 Scanners
All Dos and Mail Centres will have the new Star 2 scanner by the end of June. They will download data via either wi-fi or when they are in the charging cradle and connected to the internet via a lan cable.
They are much more reliable then the old scanners and really should have been introduced years ago.
They are much more reliable then the old scanners and really should have been introduced years ago.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Star2 Scanners
I used to curse the old guns they were always going wrong, I used to change one or the other every few days but touch wood they have been great for ages. I just hope the new scanners pick the barcodes up better than the guns, these foreign codes are a pain in the ass at times.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12178
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Star2 Scanners
They pick up the barcodes way better then the old ones.dvbuk55 wrote:I used to curse the old guns they were always going wrong, I used to change one or the other every few days but touch wood they have been great for ages. I just hope the new scanners pick the barcodes up better than the guns, these foreign codes are a pain in the ass at times.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Star2 Scanners
I was hoping for that SP, have wasted a fair bit of time manually inputting just lately.SpacePhoenix wrote:They pick up the barcodes way better then the old ones.dvbuk55 wrote:I used to curse the old guns they were always going wrong, I used to change one or the other every few days but touch wood they have been great for ages. I just hope the new scanners pick the barcodes up better than the guns, these foreign codes are a pain in the ass at times.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12178
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Star2 Scanners
You'll still get the odd few that don't scan 99.99% of the time they'll be ones sent by companies where the lines of the barcode have blured into each other a bit (probably the print head of their printer needs cleaning or something like that)dvbuk55 wrote:I was hoping for that SP, have wasted a fair bit of time manually inputting just lately.SpacePhoenix wrote:They pick up the barcodes way better then the old ones.dvbuk55 wrote:I used to curse the old guns they were always going wrong, I used to change one or the other every few days but touch wood they have been great for ages. I just hope the new scanners pick the barcodes up better than the guns, these foreign codes are a pain in the ass at times.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Star2 Scanners
Well that's better than the 10% or so currently, one of the problems is cellotape over the code causing the failure from reflection. Hopefully I'll get to use them before I goSpacePhoenix wrote:You'll still get the odd few that don't scan 99.99% of the time they'll be ones sent by companies where the lines of the barcode have blured into each other a bit (probably the print head of their printer needs cleaning or something like that)dvbuk55 wrote:I was hoping for that SP, have wasted a fair bit of time manually inputting just lately.SpacePhoenix wrote:They pick up the barcodes way better then the old ones.dvbuk55 wrote:I used to curse the old guns they were always going wrong, I used to change one or the other every few days but touch wood they have been great for ages. I just hope the new scanners pick the barcodes up better than the guns, these foreign codes are a pain in the ass at times.