ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Star2 Scanners

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Star2 Scanners

Post by dvbuk55 »

Anybody got them yet?
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Star2 Scanners

Post by arnold cheshire »

dvbuk55 wrote:Anybody got them yet?
no but they sound like star trek scanners which we had in 1984 :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Star2 Scanners

Post by dvbuk55 »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:Anybody got them yet?
no but they sound like star trek scanners which we had in 1984 :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup
:Very Happy Live long and prosper. I'm assuming that MCs already have them.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12178
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Star2 Scanners

Post by SpacePhoenix »

They're way better the the old crappy ones. AFAIK all the lockers in the DOs locally have got them as well. It'll be interesting to see if every MC gets them.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MC9090-G ... 147&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's what they look like
mightymetro
Posts: 18
Joined: 13 Oct 2011, 08:02
Gender: Male

Re: Star2 Scanners

Post by mightymetro »

Yes we just got one in our DO , it's just another big gun......will never understand why we could not use an office PDA to scan in and allocate specials like we do tracked and keep everything on the same system. Just ridiculous.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Star2 Scanners

Post by arnold cheshire »

SpacePhoenix wrote:They're way better the the old crappy ones. AFAIK all the lockers in the DOs locally have got them as well. It'll be interesting to see if every MC gets them.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MC9090-G ... 147&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's what they look like
theyve had something like that in the locker for years :thumbup
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Star2 Scanners

Post by dvbuk55 »

Thanks for the info all very interesting. We've had the network cable installed and connected but no equipment as yet. I take the point about why the PDAs can't be used and if the price in dollars is anything to go by I'm surprised they didn't explore that avenue.
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Re: Star2 Scanners

Post by 5plusbonusball »

looks big and cumbersome , hope the next type of pda looks like an iphone, why do we need a keypad and a digital keypad?
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Re: Star2 Scanners

Post by 97gaz »

[
Last edited by 97gaz on 16 Dec 2019, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.
NorthernBoy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 386
Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 21:08
Gender: Male

Re: Star2 Scanners

Post by NorthernBoy »

All Dos and Mail Centres will have the new Star 2 scanner by the end of June. They will download data via either wi-fi or when they are in the charging cradle and connected to the internet via a lan cable.

They are much more reliable then the old scanners and really should have been introduced years ago.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Star2 Scanners

Post by dvbuk55 »

I used to curse the old guns they were always going wrong, I used to change one or the other every few days but touch wood they have been great for ages. I just hope the new scanners pick the barcodes up better than the guns, these foreign codes are a pain in the ass at times.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12178
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Star2 Scanners

Post by SpacePhoenix »

dvbuk55 wrote:I used to curse the old guns they were always going wrong, I used to change one or the other every few days but touch wood they have been great for ages. I just hope the new scanners pick the barcodes up better than the guns, these foreign codes are a pain in the ass at times.
They pick up the barcodes way better then the old ones.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Star2 Scanners

Post by dvbuk55 »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:I used to curse the old guns they were always going wrong, I used to change one or the other every few days but touch wood they have been great for ages. I just hope the new scanners pick the barcodes up better than the guns, these foreign codes are a pain in the ass at times.
They pick up the barcodes way better then the old ones.
I was hoping for that SP, have wasted a fair bit of time manually inputting just lately.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12178
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Star2 Scanners

Post by SpacePhoenix »

dvbuk55 wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:I used to curse the old guns they were always going wrong, I used to change one or the other every few days but touch wood they have been great for ages. I just hope the new scanners pick the barcodes up better than the guns, these foreign codes are a pain in the ass at times.
They pick up the barcodes way better then the old ones.
I was hoping for that SP, have wasted a fair bit of time manually inputting just lately.
You'll still get the odd few that don't scan 99.99% of the time they'll be ones sent by companies where the lines of the barcode have blured into each other a bit (probably the print head of their printer needs cleaning or something like that)
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Star2 Scanners

Post by dvbuk55 »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:I used to curse the old guns they were always going wrong, I used to change one or the other every few days but touch wood they have been great for ages. I just hope the new scanners pick the barcodes up better than the guns, these foreign codes are a pain in the ass at times.
They pick up the barcodes way better then the old ones.
I was hoping for that SP, have wasted a fair bit of time manually inputting just lately.
You'll still get the odd few that don't scan 99.99% of the time they'll be ones sent by companies where the lines of the barcode have blured into each other a bit (probably the print head of their printer needs cleaning or something like that)
Well that's better than the 10% or so currently, one of the problems is cellotape over the code causing the failure from reflection. Hopefully I'll get to use them before I go :Very Happy