ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
painful wrist
-
kirstyx
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 147
- Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
- Gender: Female
painful wrist
Hi all, since being a postie about one every 6 weeks or so my left wrist is very painful to bend and constantly aches ive previously been to the dr and was told to strap it up for 2 weeks and to go back if still hurting but it only really hursts for a few days so usually treat at home by strapping it and taking painkillers. Only reason ive posted this is because its happened last week and again sore today and after talking to a nurse friend she has said that it may be wrist tendonitis and I was just wondering if anyone on here has been diagnosed with that and what they do to ease the symptoms?
-
Ricardo44
- Posts: 164
- Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Re: painful wrist
You need to see a physio and get some proper treatment. Sounds like a repetetive strain injury. If you leave it then it will only get worse.I've had similar problems with my achilles and also tennis elbow,both of which are now fully healed but it took time and money. You might be able to get your doctor to refer you for NHS physio. There's no quick easy fix I'm afraid.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Re: painful wrist
Good luck! Probably a good idea trying to see a physio. Also, use smaller bundles?
I got my wrist slapped for carrying too big a bundle - 4kg when my colleague put it on the scales!
I got my wrist slapped for carrying too big a bundle - 4kg when my colleague put it on the scales!
-
N1-22postman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 68
- Joined: 13 Oct 2010, 08:31
- Gender: Male
Re: painful wrist
I had postman`s elbow (same as tennis elbow) brought about by carrying too big a bundle.This is a repetitive strain injury.Stop carrying 4Kg bundles.Do much smaller bundles.On P&L I now bundle up what I deliver because before my partner would do massive bundles.You have lwt so you do not have to have big bundles.Carrying big bundles while using the pda is a pain.Eventually with rest your rsi will improve.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Re: painful wrist
I made loads of wee mini bundles today, seemed a heck of a lot easier, and seemed to make the delivery go quicker!N1-22postman wrote:I had postman`s elbow (same as tennis elbow) brought about by carrying too big a bundle.This is a repetitive strain injury.Stop carrying 4Kg bundles.Do much smaller bundles.On P&L I now bundle up what I deliver because before my partner would do massive bundles.You have lwt so you do not have to have big bundles.Carrying big bundles while using the pda is a pain.Eventually with rest your rsi will improve.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: painful wrist
Get a wrist support with a plastic splint built in and this will help take the weight of the bundle. As others have said use smaller bundles.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: painful wrist
Postman's elbow (or golfer's elbow) is different to tennis elbow as with the former the pain is on the inside of the elbow whereas tennis elbow is on the outside.N1-22postman wrote:I had postman`s elbow (same as tennis elbow) .
Golfer's elbow is treatable by simply twisting the arm and turning the palm out. This stretches the relevant tendon in the opposite direction and is very effective.
Is it a wrist injury or the base of the thumb?
The latter could be carpal tunnel syndrome.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Ricardo44
- Posts: 164
- Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Re: painful wrist
My tennis elbow was on my right arm which I deliver with as I'm right handed and carry the bundle with my left so smaller bundles would not have really helped me that much.it was the constant use during delivering mail and to a lesser degree prepping walks that caused it over the years.
Surely this would be the case for most people suffering from this type of injury as I wouldn't have thought you would get it in the arm you hold the bundle with as its not as active..
Surely this would be the case for most people suffering from this type of injury as I wouldn't have thought you would get it in the arm you hold the bundle with as its not as active..
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Re: painful wrist
Agreed as that is exactly what my Doctor said a couple of months ago and I still have mild symptoms.clashcityrocker wrote:Postman's elbow (or golfer's elbow) is different to tennis elbow as with the former the pain is on the inside of the elbow whereas tennis elbow is on the outside.N1-22postman wrote:I had postman`s elbow (same as tennis elbow) .
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
korky
- Posts: 797
- Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28
Re: painful wrist
i had "whatever" elbow last year, was agony bundling top row of frame.
put more pressure on other during the shifts and that got bad too.
i grinned and took it and went away eventually.
to be honest if i'd gone sick with it meant i'd been watching too much porn!
.
.
.
1 hour per day isn't too much eh?
put more pressure on other during the shifts and that got bad too.
i grinned and took it and went away eventually.
to be honest if i'd gone sick with it meant i'd been watching too much porn!
.
.
.
1 hour per day isn't too much eh?
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: painful wrist
Whats Carpel Tunnel? I have been in agony with base of thumb on left hand which I carry my bundles.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: painful wrist
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Carpal-tun ... tisit.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;Lincox wrote:Whats Carpel Tunnel? I have been in agony with base of thumb on left hand which I carry my bundles.
Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is a relatively common condition that causes pain, numbness and a tingling sensation in the hand and fingers.
Usually, these sensations develop gradually and start off being worse during the night. They tend to affect the thumb, index finger, middle finger and half of the ring finger.
Other symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome include:
pins and needles (paraesthesia)
thumb weakness
a dull ache in the hand or arm
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: painful wrist
Yeahkorky wrote:i had "whatever" elbow last year, was agony bundling top row of frame.
put more pressure on other during the shifts and that got bad too.
i grinned and took it and went away eventually.
to be honest if i'd gone sick with it meant i'd been watching too much porn!
.
.
.
1 hour per day isn't too much eh?
But not when you're working lol
I won
-
kirstyx
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 147
- Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
- Gender: Female
Re: painful wrist
well it was so sore on friday night i ended up in a&e with it where they strapped it up and put my arm in a sling ive gotta see my gp again about it on tuesday but when i went into work on saturday i had to prep a round and was then chucked into the locker i had never been in there before and both myself and the guy in there said it was stupd me being there as i would just question everything and he would end up doing most of it anyway, but obviously the managers know best or at least the one who was in charge on saturday who thinks hes gods gift to women does. i but i digress i was under the impression that the DOM has to authorise people to have a shift in the locker due to security as it was i refused to be given the code to get through the door
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: painful wrist
I was wondering if anyone gets back pains from carrying pouches? It's worse in the morning for me when I wake up and have to have a good stretch then it's not as bad throughout the day.