There is a duty available at our office which is part time and fits my part time hours. Iam a reserve postie.There are two others who I know of and have spoken to who are going to apply,both have been at the Royal Mail for over 8 years and me being there only a year.
Will there be any point in applying for it knowing they are going to apply as ive heard it all boils down to seniority?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Applying for an advertised duty.
-
hewittinspain
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 266
- Joined: 20 May 2013, 21:24
- Gender: Male
-
Robtor
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 11 Nov 2010, 11:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Applying for an advertised duty.
Generally you should apply anyway. You won't get it but they might not bother applying in the end, or change their minds after, or just what ever. Happens more often than you may think.
It only takes 1minute to get a piece of paper and write "I want to apply for duty xyz" anyway.
It only takes 1minute to get a piece of paper and write "I want to apply for duty xyz" anyway.
-
Surreypostie
- Posts: 999
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Applying for an advertised duty.
I agree, if you want it apply for it, many people say many things. Worst that can happen is you stay as you are now.
-
hewittinspain
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 266
- Joined: 20 May 2013, 21:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Applying for an advertised duty.
Ok fair comment. Maybe if one of them gets it then ill perhaps move up the ladder from reserve to cover as im next in.line for a 3 day cover duty.
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Applying for an advertised duty.
I really like your comment. I actually wrote something like (an application) that a one of the card labels for a Yorkie. A fellow posties was going on and on about 'what's the point of applying for a post' when others are more senior.It only takes 1minute to get a piece of paper and write "I want to apply for duty xyz" anyway.
It is so boring and undeserving for anyone to think so lazily. We work in a situation where the letter of application does not even have to be formal - it takes no time to knock one out...
* I should also add that some of the managers are utterly unprofessional because they leak to the office gossips or their lapdogs who has applied for certain advertised posts. These things should be confidential. Mine even referred to one one of the statements I put in my application when talking to another postie - and quoted me.
-
Craig_Fairbrass
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 13 Feb 2014, 11:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Applying for an advertised duty.
As everyone has said, apply anyway. I put in for a duty one I thought I had no hope of getting as it was an easy round and had heard others say they were putting in for it.
One day after the closing date for told it was mine.
Royal Mail is full of bullshitters.
One day after the closing date for told it was mine.
Royal Mail is full of bullshitters.
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Re: Applying for an advertised duty.
Same happened to me I put in for a vacancy I had 18 years in at the time , heard a few the bull shitters were putting in for it applied then found out I got it happy days 
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"