ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

RePick - Forced to sign for 1 walk or Cut my Hours

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

RePick - Forced to sign for 1 walk or Cut my Hours

Post by 19times »

Hi all.

I thought I'd try to gather some advice on here :crazy:

Office has gone through the 'change' with all walks now van shares etc, seniority list has gone up and I am number 1 on the AG list HOWEVER i'm not really I found out when all said and done. :confused

I am basically the only one in the office on 36hrs - I was on 33hrs when I first started but got asked to go to 36hrs around 10 years ago.

Union Rep who is sorting the repick said it's my turn today and he explains I have two options.

1. Sign for the float round that the 'duty builder' thingy threw up as 36hr or 2. Go back down to 33hrs voluntarily - no buy down.

I am a bif miffed to be honest with this and I let the Rep know this but he say's that's it, have a think and decide which option. :neutral:

I just wanted to get some peoples views on this that's all really.

Thanks for your time.
vanman90
Posts: 147
Joined: 01 Apr 2014, 21:12
Gender: Male

Re: RePick - Forced to sign for 1 walk or Cut my Hours

Post by vanman90 »

Id refuse to sign and go on reserve.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: RePick - Forced to sign for 1 walk or Cut my Hours

Post by clashcityrocker »

If you have a 36 hour contract then you shouldn't have to go down to 33 hours. (I assume you aren't on a 3 hour contract and claiming 3 hours o/t every week?)
Given that I don't understand how some offices do their repacks, in your office that might mean you only have the option of the 36 hour duty.

I don't understand how the float duty is 36 hours if the duties you are covering are not 36 hour duties.
But some weird s**t goes on in these offices.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Re: RePick - Forced to sign for 1 walk or Cut my Hours

Post by 19times »

clashcityrocker wrote:If you have a 36 hour contract then you shouldn't have to go down to 33 hours. (I assume you aren't on a 3 hour contract and claiming 3 hours o/t every week?)
Given that I don't understand how some offices do their repacks, in your office that might mean you only have the option of the 36 hour duty.

I don't understand how the float duty is 36 hours if the duties you are covering are not 36 hour duties.
But some weird s**t goes on in these offices.
No idea how it's worked out but the Rep basically said that or hours down.

I am not claiming 3 hours o/t, 36hrs is my normal hrs.

vanman90, thought about that but don't fancy the messing about daily really.
music4essex
Posts: 717
Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 16:18
Gender: Female

Re: RePick - Forced to sign for 1 walk or Cut my Hours

Post by music4essex »

I would take it up with the area rep dont sound right,

But if not pick the 36hr duty and there will be swapping of duties later on as it did in our office after a few months

Essex mum
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: RePick - Forced to sign for 1 walk or Cut my Hours

Post by coxie »

Doesn't sound right to me either, you can't be forced to pick a duty if you don't want it. You can stay as a reserve and it's managements problem to find you 36 hours worth of work. Or you should be able to pick another duty and make your hours up with some extra sorting or something. I think your rep is wrong here.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: RePick - Forced to sign for 1 walk or Cut my Hours

Post by daveyeff »

19times wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:If you have a 36 hour contract then you shouldn't have to go down to 33 hours. (I assume you aren't on a 3 hour contract and claiming 3 hours o/t every week?)
Given that I don't understand how some offices do their repacks, in your office that might mean you only have the option of the 36 hour duty.

I don't understand how the float duty is 36 hours if the duties you are covering are not 36 hour duties.
But some weird s**t goes on in these offices.
No idea how it's worked out but the Rep basically said that or hours down.

I am not claiming 3 hours o/t, 36hrs is my normal hrs.

vanman90, thought about that but don't fancy the messing about daily really.
3 hrs is 30 quid a week,,or 120 quid a month,,can you afford to knock it back ?
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Re: RePick - Forced to sign for 1 walk or Cut my Hours

Post by 19times »

Thanks lads and lassies for the comments.

I may contact the area Rep just to see if that's that for me. I could probably afford the drop but obviously that £120 a month would be nice to still have.
Sidley
Posts: 653
Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 22:01
Gender: Male

Re: RePick - Forced to sign for 1 walk or Cut my Hours

Post by Sidley »

The management bellends are trying to foist this sort of s**t on one of our lads. Our rep is fighting his corner. Your rep is either mistaken or chugging miles of management cock.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: RePick - Forced to sign for 1 walk or Cut my Hours

Post by Darren Bent »

Some union rep are a extension of management as they work together a lot, while an area rep is more likely to be unbiased and independent. So go to area rep.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: RePick - Forced to sign for 1 walk or Cut my Hours

Post by daveyeff »

Darren Bent wrote:Some union rep are a extension of management as they work together a lot, while an area rep is more likely to be unbiased and independent. So go to area rep.
our DSM is an ex union rep. it seems they befriend reps nowadays to get them onside...divide and conquer so to speak....its working!!
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Re: RePick - Forced to sign for 1 walk or Cut my Hours

Post by 19times »

Rep called us in this morning to ask what I've decided, I again told him I wasn't happy regards this but before this he told me he'd come up with an idea.

He has said I can sign for a AG walk although technically he said I have to sign for one matching my hours ie one walk matches my hours :roll: it's the new rules - he showed me the sheet saying that too that they basically just put together :crazy:

Bottom line is I signed for the walk I'm doing now but when this kicks in officially I'll have to prep the float walk starting and finishing to a set time each day then go do my walk.

Barmy! I would have took it higher but as it is I got to sign for a walk so I'll hold off for now.

Thanks again guys, nice to hear peoples thoughts.

Cheers.
Sidley
Posts: 653
Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 22:01
Gender: Male

Re: RePick - Forced to sign for 1 walk or Cut my Hours

Post by Sidley »

Sidley wrote:The management bellends are trying to foist this sort of s**t on one of our lads. Our rep is fighting his corner. Your rep is either mistaken or chugging miles of management cock.
Update. Our rep is not fighting his corner as he's proved himself a finger on the claw of Mordor and doesn't want to work more than half his hours or give up his every Saturday off. Guy went to area rep who passed it to someone else who hasn't been in touch since January.

Am I right that if a disagreement was lodged that the status quo should have been maintained until it was sorted?
Sidley
Posts: 653
Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 22:01
Gender: Male

Re: RePick - Forced to sign for 1 walk or Cut my Hours

Post by Sidley »

Update. Rep did a u-turn and says that RM CAN do what they're doing and that colleague had totally misinterpreted a plainly worded email from him saying RM were wrong.