Being new in the job I only what the job entails nowaday. But ive always tried to imagine what it was like 25 years ago before email when family letters were sent conventionally and there was never online shopping.
Things you could include:- were there more letter back then to nearly every house everyday of the week,ie more per household and were there quiet days like there are now or was everydays traffic the same?. I do know rounds were shorter(by how much I don't know) and of course there were second deliveries,plus a postie usually finished his day before 12. Also were there barely any packets/parcels at all and if so what parcels were you delivering. Catalogue stuff? Prepping times shorter?longer?
I just wanna imagine a day in the life of a postie pre internet/email/online shopping vs now.
postiewhite wrote:Being new in the job I only what the job entails nowaday. But ive always tried to imagine what it was like 25 years ago before email when family letters were sent conventionally and there was never online shopping.
Things you could include:- were there more letter back then to nearly every house everyday of the week,ie more per household and were there quiet days like there are now or was everydays traffic the same?. I do know rounds were shorter(by how much I don't know) and of course there were second deliveries,plus a postie usually finished his day before 12. Also were there barely any packets/parcels at all and if so what parcels were you delivering. Catalogue stuff? Prepping times shorter?longer?
I just wanna imagine a day in the life of a postie pre internet/email/online shopping vs now.
monday was easy tuesday was easy saturday was easy you had one bag for the entire walk with about 4 packets for the entire walk
postiewhite wrote:Being new in the job I only what the job entails nowaday. But ive always tried to imagine what it was like 25 years ago before email when family letters were sent conventionally and there was never online shopping.
Things you could include:- were there more letter back then to nearly every house everyday of the week,ie more per household and were there quiet days like there are now or was everydays traffic the same?. I do know rounds were shorter(by how much I don't know) and of course there were second deliveries,plus a postie usually finished his day before 12. Also were there barely any packets/parcels at all and if so what parcels were you delivering. Catalogue stuff? Prepping times shorter?longer?
I just wanna imagine a day in the life of a postie pre internet/email/online shopping vs now.
monday was easy tuesday was easy saturday was easy you had one bag for the entire walk with about 4 packets for the entire walk
the packets were from that britannia music club or a odd record lp prepping inward sorting 45 mins max now 2 hrs i have now on my duty the same has the hole office had in 1990
There was no meched mail but you only got about 1.5 trays from the ips and a armful of flats. The ave round took out 2 bags and took about 1hr 30 mins to complete. Of course you had the second delivery which took around 20-30 mins (if you bothered doing it).
It was easy and Mon, Tue you were on your way home by 10.30am. Sat was a 8am finish.
Mind you the money was pretty crap for (on paper) 43 hours a week.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
At least we had union who cared about its workers wellbeing , we all had breakfast together 9.30am, delivery spans1 1/2 hour, manager could not take liberty , if they did we'd all walk out , 16kg max bag weight, if over, take it or leave it.... happy days
I was on a rural 25 years ago, 5am start, cup of tea and a cheese or ham roll after prepping up ( we had night staff doing the walk sorting ) out the door at 6, call in at the newsagent's to pick up the papers - about 15 as I remember. First letter delivered around 6.25. So nice to knock people up at that time, but it was rare, as has been mentioned, there weren't the packets and very few recordeds. 20 minute tea stop at a very nice retired couple's house at 8. On with the delivery, last letter put in around 10. Stop on the way back to clear the sub post office. Back to the office around 10.45. Home and feet up for 11. Happy days indeed.
I used to deliver to a large shopping center, and used to look forward to saturdays.
I was out of the office by 7, and as all the shops were shut at that time, i got rid of the mail through the front doors, and so finished by 8.
God how i miss those days.
redandblue wrote:I used to deliver to a large shopping center, and used to look forward to saturdays.
I was out of the office by 7, and as all the shops were shut at that time, i got rid of the mail through the front doors, and so finished by 8.
God how i miss those days.
we have a shopping centre where you just take the mail round the back to the security and they deliver it
redandblue wrote:I used to deliver to a large shopping center, and used to look forward to saturdays.
I was out of the office by 7, and as all the shops were shut at that time, i got rid of the mail through the front doors, and so finished by 8.
God how i miss those days.
we have a shopping centre where you just take the mail round the back to the security and they deliver it
No comparison now to what the job was like 20 - 25 years ago. Job and finish was the order of the day. Too many job "murderers" now. People starting up to two hours, yes two hours before their start time and running around the walks with heavy bags on their backs. If everyone did the job properly then there may be a chance, just a chance, that the job could be great again but I don't hold out much hope.