ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

starting collections next week..

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

starting collections next week..

Post by Nondescript »

..and some really basic things remain as clear as mud, so I'd be grateful for any enlightenment:

1. If I pick up a single special delivery item from a firm/PO, what do I classify it on the PDA as? Meter, stamp or PPI? And do I take some paperwork with me?
2. Do PPI items always have accompanying paperwork, even if they are in a sealed bag? Should I refuse to pick it up if it has no paperwork?
3. Is anything that comes in a little red pouch assumed to be first class metered, and anything that comes in a green pouch assumed to be second class, and should I keep them in separate drop bags?
4. And now for the most asinine questions of the lot - what is the difference between meter and PPI? Is it simply that meter has a frank/postmark, and PPI is pre-printed? And what classification would an envelope be that had a printed label on with a large number '2'?

Thanks for any help, and I may post more thick questions later.
Stella102
Posts: 597
Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 19:32
Gender: Male

Re: starting collections next week..

Post by Stella102 »

Nondescript wrote:..and some really basic things remain as clear as mud, so I'd be grateful for any enlightenment:

1. If I pick up a single special delivery item from a firm/PO, what do I classify it on the PDA as? Meter, stamp or PPI? And do I take some paperwork with me?

from firm it will be meter or ppi (check the stamp) ppi is the sticker meter is normally printed red.
from po you dont need to put anything as when you scan no other options come up
from both you will need to sign for item and retain some paperwork or get them to sign the orange sheet that you can carry with you to cover your ass.

2. Do PPI items always have accompanying paperwork, even if they are in a sealed bag? Should I refuse to pick it up if it has no paperwork?

they should have paperwork and you scan barcode if you don't still collect it and say no barcode it will then get checked if you manage to put it to one side for the driver.

3. Is anything that comes in a little red pouch assumed to be first class metered, and anything that comes in a green pouch assumed to be second class, and should I keep them in separate drop bags?

correct no need to seperate.

4. And now for the most asinine questions of the lot - what is the difference between meter and PPI? Is it simply that meter has a frank/postmark, and PPI is pre-printed? And what classification would an envelope be that had a printed label on with a large number '2'?

see above and with a printed 2 means second class ppi

Thanks for any help, and I may post more thick questions later.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: starting collections next week..

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I wouldn't stress too much about it ND....Have you been round with an experienced Postie and been Trained? If not there's your 1st Get out Clause...You should be Trained Properly. Too many Managers cut corners to save Budget, believe it or not! :shock:

I only ever get stressed about Specials, and make sure I keep them separate. The person you collect from will also be stressing about them and make sure they get a signature from YOU. They should be in Green sacks with Blue Security seals or Blue Zip bags with Security seals. They're often not in the right bags..so don't make the mistake of lobbing it in with the other Grey sacks. :sad:

When you scan Business' Barcodes just follow the "Idiot's Guide" on the PDA. The only thing that may confuse you is..."Is this a Red Cross Collection" talk to the PHG about it...not a major problem if you cock up. Some business' will keep a sack open until you've scanned the Barcode, and their Paperwork Barcode, so you can seal it in their sack. I find this useful as it keeps it all together.

Some Offices are more Anal about these things than others. I wouldn't get too worried about it. In larger Offices they normally have a York for each type of mail and all you have to do is match the tags on the bag to the York. i.e 1st class mail in the appropriate York etc. Ask for an "Idiots Guide" to be printed and stuck on the wall above the Yorks if your getting problems. Smaller Offices don't normally use as many Yorks but if you do segregate all the mail 100% you normally find the Collection Driver comes along and consolidates all the mail into a couple of Yorks....he hasn't got the room to take them all from EVERY Office.

If you do make a mistake it's not the end of the world..those lovely lads/lasses at the Mail Centre will be only too willing to put the wrongly placed sack in the right place. Good Luck on your Collection. :wave
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: starting collections next week..

Post by Nondescript »

Thanks for the replies, guys. DP, I have been taken out and shown a couple of collections, but they are expecting me to learn six in the next couple of weeks, so as well as learning the routes (some of which are in areas I don't know), I'm also trying to get my head round this whole fiddly collections thingy. It'll be interesting :chuckle
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: starting collections next week..

Post by Nondescript »

Just thought of another question: If I pick up a recorded delivery item, what do I classify it on the PDA as? And if it's a letter, does it just go in a red sack with the post box collections?

Cheers guys
Stella102
Posts: 597
Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 19:32
Gender: Male

Re: starting collections next week..

Post by Stella102 »

Nondescript wrote:Just thought of another question: If I pick up a recorded delivery item, what do I classify it on the PDA as? And if it's a letter, does it just go in a red sack with the post box collections?

Cheers guys
recordeds from firms are either ppi or meter you need to check whats on the front. I normally put them in a seperate bag and but them in the meter york or the ppi york (1st or 2nd). However it doesn't really matter if it gets mixed up in the post box mail. It will all get sorted at the mail center.
dave7634
Posts: 289
Joined: 08 Jun 2007, 08:54

Re: starting collections next week..

Post by dave7634 »

Nondescript wrote:..and some really basic things remain as clear as mud, so I'd be grateful for any enlightenment:

1. If I pick up a single special delivery item from a firm/PO, what do I classify it on the PDA as? Meter, stamp or PPI? And do I take some paperwork with me?
2. Do PPI items always have accompanying paperwork, even if they are in a sealed bag? Should I refuse to pick it up if it has no paperwork?
3. Is anything that comes in a little red pouch assumed to be first class metered, and anything that comes in a green pouch assumed to be second class, and should I keep them in separate drop bags?
4. And now for the most asinine questions of the lot - what is the difference between meter and PPI? Is it simply that meter has a frank/postmark, and PPI is pre-printed? And what classification would an envelope be that had a printed label on with a large number '2'?

Thanks for any help, and I may post more thick questions later.
1. There is no entry on the PDA for collected SD's. Just make sure you hand in at the locker when you've returned to your unit. On your collection sheet on the reverse, you're supposed to fill out any collected SD's on there
2. PPI's should have paperwork with it otherwise we have no proof they've paid for the items to be delivered. Firms have owed RM squillions through this over the years and RM have tightened their belts. PO's are supposed not to accept any PPI's which are handed in WITHOUT paperwork. Also, if you stumble upon PPI in the postbox, you're supposed to hand in to your Collections Manager for checking as firms are even trying this now in order to get away with paying.
3. Yes and yes.
4. Yes and 2nd class.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: starting collections next week..

Post by Dorset Plodder »

FFS ND Learning six collections in quick succession is quite an ask :crazy: Try not to get too stressed about the big picture. Like I say just be careful with the Specials. Like Dave says there won't be any prompts on your PDA for Specials...if they're big collections use the control sheet to keep track of them, keep them separate ( I normally put them just inside the rear door) and double check them into your lock-up. I tend to take them in first and get them sorted before sorting the rest out.

If you're on the collections regularly it may pay to make out "Idiot Guides" for each collection. You're on here so you must be at least Computer Literate. I'd suggest a sheet with each pick up point on it, in order, with the timings on (your Office may already have one). You can add key numbers (for any boxes) and colour code them with different coloured insulation tape. This'll help you speed up as you'll not be fumbling with a big bunch of keys trying to find the right one.

Your Office must really be Micro-Managing the collections if they get upset by some of your worries. At the end of the day do your best, you're going to make mistakes....just make sure they're not really BIG ONES (THAT MEANS SPECIALS)! :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: starting collections next week..

Post by Nondescript »

Did my first collection today, it went relatively hitch free, although it was the simplest one of the lot (hardly any firms, mainly boxes), but I was about half an hour slower than the regular guy and that's despite the fact that it was a collection in an area I know really well :nervous I always had collections down as an easy number, but I've never done so much clock watching as I did today, constantly playing catch up. Hopefully I'll get a bit faster and develop some technique and routine, all fingers and thumbs at the minute. :crazy:
Craig_Fairbrass
Posts: 36
Joined: 13 Feb 2014, 11:26
Gender: Male

Re: starting collections next week..

Post by Craig_Fairbrass »

Nondescript wrote:Did my first collection today, it went relatively hitch free, although it was the simplest one of the lot (hardly any firms, mainly boxes), but I was about half an hour slower than the regular guy and that's despite the fact that it was a collection in an area I know really well :nervous I always had collections down as an easy number, but I've never done so much clock watching as I did today, constantly playing catch up. Hopefully I'll get a bit faster and develop some technique and routine, all fingers and thumbs at the minute. :crazy:
First day is always the worst, after a bit though you'll learn the route, sometimes the running order in the folder isn't always the quickest and you'll identify ways of saving time.
polar bear
Posts: 33
Joined: 31 May 2012, 13:06
Gender: Male

starting collections next week..

Post by polar bear »

Hi
I'm after some advice please. I'm picking up from PPI
Customer. He gives me 3 bags sealed. And one bag still opened. Should I have refused the bag that WASNT sealed. Also should any bags that are sealed, should they be stamped with what customer they are from. Any help would be helpful. I'm stressing.