ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Basic Salary Central London Postman

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
indio
Posts: 87
Joined: 17 Feb 2013, 22:57
Gender: Male

Basic Salary Central London Postman

Post by indio »

I have done a search but can't find anything concrete.

Does anyone have a figure for the basic salary i.e for mortgage purposes of a postman in central London?

Been wondering if its worth putting myself through the mill trying to get a transfer to London.
Thanks
blakeyboy
Posts: 104
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 22:05
Gender: Male

Re: Basic Salary Central London Postman

Post by blakeyboy »

£12 an hour I think.Not really worth it for the
Extra cost of living and houses really
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Re: Basic Salary Central London Postman

Post by mickeymacca »

I think I worked it out to be around £27 k a year on a full time contract
'Libraries gave us power'
britwrit
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 966
Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 15:12

Re: Basic Salary Central London Postman

Post by britwrit »

blakeyboy wrote:£12 an hour I think.Not really worth it for the
Extra cost of living and houses really

Yeah, it's around £12.20 an hour...Ish.

On the plus side, if you're a young guy, who isn't too picky about where he lives or has roommates, you can make it on a part-time contract. (That is, of course, if you budget wisely and don't throw your money around.)
indio
Posts: 87
Joined: 17 Feb 2013, 22:57
Gender: Male

Re: Basic Salary Central London Postman

Post by indio »

blakeyboy wrote:£12 an hour I think.Not really worth it for the
Extra cost of living and houses really
In a way your right but I have to be a realist and face the fact that being a postie who's face doesn't always fit coupled with a body thats no longer as young as it once was that Royal Mail almost certainly isn't a long term proposition job wise anymore. All the new people coming in are under 30 and almost sprint round their walks yet in the last 2 years we've lost maybe 4/5 people over 40 to medical retirement mostly knee's and backs.
London would offer the best in terms of training opportunities and jobs. Can always move away once trained.

Yes I'm disillusioned and completely fed up. Management seem to be deliberately making the job as miserable as they can. Out with the in-flexible and expensive old guard in with the cheap I'm just glad of have a job newbe.
indio
Posts: 87
Joined: 17 Feb 2013, 22:57
Gender: Male

Re: Basic Salary Central London Postman

Post by indio »

britwrit wrote:
blakeyboy wrote:£12 an hour I think.Not really worth it for the
Extra cost of living and houses really
Yeah, it's around £12.20 an hour...Ish.

On the plus side, if you're a young guy...
No not young at all but London offers everything I'd need to re-train in something else like college courses, jobs etc
indio
Posts: 87
Joined: 17 Feb 2013, 22:57
Gender: Male

Re: Basic Salary Central London Postman

Post by indio »

mickeymacca wrote:I think I worked it out to be around £27 k a year on a full time contract
Yes, worked it out as just over £26,400 on what a postie told me his pay was on a trip there at Easter. Seemed quite high so wanted some ballpark confirmation.
Cheers
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Basic Salary Central London Postman

Post by DB1100 »

Your welcome to it,I value fresh air,5 mins walk and I am in open countryside,I can see the stars at night,I regularly see grass snakes,hares and kestrels even seen an albino rabbit,I feel sorry for you people in London it would drive me crazy down there,still each to their own.
For we were soldiers once,and young
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1621
Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
Gender: Male

Re: Basic Salary Central London Postman

Post by Straight4ward »

Basic salary after 6 months is £394.76 per week plus whatever the London weighting allowance is.
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."