ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Small minded!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ganda
Posts: 131
Joined: 16 Dec 2011, 22:24
Gender: Male

Small minded!

Post by ganda »

On delivery, woman comes out really aggressive, do I mind walking around that is not a path! So you want me to walk all the way down there and back up, yes. Small minded! Still that happened Friday, yesterday I delivered her a speeding fine........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Small minded!

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

People think I am mad, but I never walk in front of peoples windows unless they have given me permission, or there is physically no other way to do it. Had too many people complaining when I first started, its also something the managers cannot complain about when testing your walk.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
ganda
Posts: 131
Joined: 16 Dec 2011, 22:24
Gender: Male

Re: Small minded!

Post by ganda »

The woman came out of the far house, as you can see I have to walk in front of her window to get down her path. The path goes around in a half moon shape. I do agree about walk testing though.

It amazes me how if you do walk across the tradesmans path, how many times a planter will appear the next day, barring your way..
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Small minded!

Post by Dorset Plodder »

An Englishman's home is his castle! Even if he only defends it with pots of shrubs. :Very Happy

In the past I had someone have a go about walking along his garden path, and around the corner of his house to the next road (Corner plot). No problem says I, " It'll never happen again Sir"! I then used to save his mail until I'd delivered the rest of the village and then deliver his last as I was just driving back to the office. :Very Happy

When he asked me why he wasn't getting his mail early anymore, I told him as he wasn't willing to help me deliver his neighbours mail as early as possible (i.e use his footpath as a short cut..BIG Garden) I didn't feel obliged to make any effort to deliver HIS mail early! :cool Needless to say he gobbed off quite a bit but there wasn't anything he could do about it.... Icing on the cake a few days later he stopped me down the road on the way to work. "I'm expecting an important parcel and I've got to go out...can you see if it's in the van"? He didn't have any photo ID on him so he got the, "Sorry Sir we're not allowed to deliver mail in the street"! :dance

You'll ALWAYS get an opportunity to get one back at difficult customers and it NEVER pays to piss the Postie Off! :no no
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
tansorboy
Posts: 355
Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 12:41
Gender: Male

Re: Small minded!

Post by tansorboy »

Pee in her garden on Monday then take the long way round....
Sidley
Posts: 653
Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 22:01
Gender: Male

Re: Small minded!

Post by Sidley »

I'm with you regarding the planters. Seems a bit odd that most people don't just ask me not to walk passed their windows, I'm a friendly approachable bloke. I think people generally find it hard to complain and it comes out wrong when they do.
One lady at the very end of my duty complained to me about me displacing her decorative gravel. Whilst I don't think it's me kicking her stones about, I'm not going to take a great deal of umbrage about using the path instead as she wasn't pissy about it.
People who f**k me off WILL find themselves given short shrift when they want a favour though.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Small minded!

Post by krussel »

I think we all have had this over the years. Can be really annoying.

On a funnier note I was delivering some absorbtion a couple of years back to a really nice street of expensive houses with long driveways. Not a road that I had delivered before and I spotted a gap in the hedge to the next house. Sod it I thought I will cut through. As I approached the gap there was a white hand painted sign in the opening just saying "NO". It amused me but I walked on into the gap in the hedge anyway. Halfway through was another sign in the ground "CANT YOU READ, NO" :left:

It made me chuckle and I did double back :Very Happy
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
ganda
Posts: 131
Joined: 16 Dec 2011, 22:24
Gender: Male

Re: Small minded!

Post by ganda »

Best one I heard after a complaint was sent in: Postie looks in window, woman comes out to complain about it. His reply, why are you ashamed about what you have in there....
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Small minded!

Post by dvbuk55 »

ganda wrote:Best one I heard after a complaint was sent in: Postie looks in window, woman comes out to complain about it. His reply, why are you ashamed about what you have in there....
:hmmmm Whilst working on another job which required me to gain access to the property, the front door was on the side of the house, I walked round to the front to look through the window to see if there was anyone at home and there was a lady breast feeding a baby :oops: I went back later to apologise and she was OK about it but I didn't do it again, if they didn't come to the door there was nobody at home as far as I was concerned.
comeracing
Posts: 806
Joined: 28 Nov 2010, 20:58
Gender: Male

Re: Small minded!

Post by comeracing »

heres my tip I often walk past windows a few on my duty If you don't stare in and look the other way towards the garden customers don't seem to bother you,the only people I see stareing into windows are the local window cleaners :no no :no no :no no
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Small minded!

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Sometimes I think customers may have a point. I don't know if some of you are aware but if you walk on grass with a frost on it you can "Scorch" it and later on when the sun comes out you can actually see the Posties Brown Foot Prints leading across the lawn. One of our lads did it and we all had a quick spin round in the van to have a look/laugh :Very Happy

Whenever I see a nicely tended front garden I tend to avoid walking on the Bowling Green Standard front lawn. I don't worry too much when it's all overgrown and full of weeds. One guy came out and had a go and I said, "What are you worried about ...me treading on the Weeds or the Dog Shite"? He didn't see the funny side... but I did! :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Small minded!

Post by arnold cheshire »

i think they just have a bad day and target the postie ignore it :thumbup
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Small minded!

Post by Postie45 »

its completely thoughtless when people complain about this, ive been on the receiving end a couple of times for this myself. What possible disruption can it cause if the postman goes by the window which must take less than 2 seconds ? I know its their right to tell you where you can go on their property but it still doesnt stop them being scumbags.
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Re: Small minded!

Post by 2pints »

Granted i have only been a year on the job but i have never had anyone complain,if i do walk past a window i always look directly at the floor or at a letter in hand so they know for certain i have not looked in at them.I bet they dont have a go at the window cleaner when he appears at the window!
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Small minded!

Post by arnold cheshire »

2pints wrote:Granted i have only been a year on the job but i have never had anyone complain,if i do walk past a window i always look directly at the floor or at a letter in hand so they know for certain i have not looked in at them.I bet they dont have a go at the window cleaner when he appears at the window!
i heard a woman telling the window cleaner to knock before cleaning windows