ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
My bike was stolen...
-
Law7
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 09 Nov 2013, 17:12
- Gender: Female
My bike was stolen...
The Facts:
I left my bike at the end of the road like I usually do, when I got back the bike was gone.
There were 2 streets worth of mail and 4 packets on the bike
I had locked the bike but didn't take the key with me (I was never told I had to do this... but I should have used common sense!)
I called my manager as soon as I realised what had happened
He Called the police
20 minutes later the bike was handed in to another postie, all mail and packets accounted for
I was the left to finish my round, despite having no idea where I was and had to cycle and look at google maps on my phone :/
Gave a statement to the police, received a telling off from manager
Told to expect an official meeting some time next week
I'm not in the union
So my question is - what are the likely consequences? Is there anything I could say to make it better? Is there anything I shouldn't say to make it worse?
Also, it all seems a bit obsolete now anyway as were in vans from Monday - just my luck that it gets stolen on the last day!
I left my bike at the end of the road like I usually do, when I got back the bike was gone.
There were 2 streets worth of mail and 4 packets on the bike
I had locked the bike but didn't take the key with me (I was never told I had to do this... but I should have used common sense!)
I called my manager as soon as I realised what had happened
He Called the police
20 minutes later the bike was handed in to another postie, all mail and packets accounted for
I was the left to finish my round, despite having no idea where I was and had to cycle and look at google maps on my phone :/
Gave a statement to the police, received a telling off from manager
Told to expect an official meeting some time next week
I'm not in the union
So my question is - what are the likely consequences? Is there anything I could say to make it better? Is there anything I shouldn't say to make it worse?
Also, it all seems a bit obsolete now anyway as were in vans from Monday - just my luck that it gets stolen on the last day!
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16692
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: My bike was stolen...
There might be some issues regarding your stupidity.
There might be issues regarding security risk assessments and the length of time the mail was left unattended.
The bottom line (for you) is they let you complete the duty, meaning they didn't regard you as a threat to the security of the mail.
Had you been precautionary suspended at the time, you might be in serious trouble.
Realistically now, I don't think they can do anything more than slap your wrist.
There might be issues regarding security risk assessments and the length of time the mail was left unattended.
The bottom line (for you) is they let you complete the duty, meaning they didn't regard you as a threat to the security of the mail.
Had you been precautionary suspended at the time, you might be in serious trouble.
Realistically now, I don't think they can do anything more than slap your wrist.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
PHARRY
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 327
- Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
- Gender: Male
Re: My bike was stolen...
Law7 wrote:The Facts:
I left my bike at the end of the road like I usually do, when I got back the bike was gone.
There were 2 streets worth of mail and 4 packets on the bike
I had locked the bike but didn't take the key with me (I was never told I had to do this... but I should have used common sense!)
I called my manager as soon as I realised what had happened
He Called the police
20 minutes later the bike was handed in to another postie, all mail and packets accounted for
I was the left to finish my round, despite having no idea where I was and had to cycle and look at google maps on my phone :/
Gave a statement to the police, received a telling off from manager
Told to expect an official meeting some time next week
I'm not in the union
So my question is - what are the likely consequences? Is there anything I could say to make it better? Is there anything I shouldn't say to make it worse?
Also, it all seems a bit obsolete now anyway as were in vans from Monday - just my luck that it gets stolen on the last day!
By the way when you get the van DONT LEAVE THE KEYS IN THE IGNITION.
-
5plusbonusball
- Posts: 1136
- Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: up north of watford
Re: My bike was stolen...
"I locked my bike but didn't take the key"
where was the key then , dangling on a bit of string?
I once left my key sticking out of my (empty) bag drop box so i'm just as silly!
I once left my key sticking out of my (empty) bag drop box so i'm just as silly!
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: My bike was stolen...
Someone is pissing you about because of the stupidity of leaving mail on the bike. I think they did it ti teach you a lesson. If not, why would the bike suddenly reappear with all mail in tact. Might have been a manager on the prowl.
-
human1
- Posts: 223
- Joined: 04 Aug 2010, 19:31
- Gender: Male
Re: My bike was stolen...
What bike ? there are no more bikes in delivery offices.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: My bike was stolen...
Personally I would join the CWU on line tonight.
As no mail was lost you should be ok but lesson learned etc.
As no mail was lost you should be ok but lesson learned etc.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: My bike was stolen...
I am thinking that not having a lock on the bike because you think there is a low security risk is far better than locking the bike and not taking the key away...
We all do stupid things but locking a bike and then leaving the key?
Someone had properly thought that the bike should not have been left there with all the mail inside the baskets.
I have never liked using a bike principally because of that sort of risk - I try not not leave any piece of mail out of my line of sight. Why should the customer be happy with you leaving their mail to be stolen or tampered with? Even for a minute - it is not good enough.
And did you have specials or tracked items in the pouches left? You better not tell them that...
We all do stupid things but locking a bike and then leaving the key?
Someone had properly thought that the bike should not have been left there with all the mail inside the baskets.
I have never liked using a bike principally because of that sort of risk - I try not not leave any piece of mail out of my line of sight. Why should the customer be happy with you leaving their mail to be stolen or tampered with? Even for a minute - it is not good enough.
And did you have specials or tracked items in the pouches left? You better not tell them that...
-
Law7
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 09 Nov 2013, 17:12
- Gender: Female
Re: My bike was stolen...
The reason I locked my bike and didn't take the key is because the bike has no stand, therefore I need to lock it to prevent rolling down hill... stupidly forgetting security.
The police were involved and statements were given so I don't think It was management.
Management were calm about it, said it happened to one of them. Investigative meeting sometime next week, possible disciplinary.
The police were involved and statements were given so I don't think It was management.
Management were calm about it, said it happened to one of them. Investigative meeting sometime next week, possible disciplinary.
-
coxie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1336
- Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
- Gender: Male
Re: My bike was stolen...
I don't want to alarm you but you'd best be prepared that leaving mail unattended like that is a sackable offence
-
paulf0203
- Posts: 121
- Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 09:58
- Gender: Male
Re: My bike was stolen...
Most importantly "WHY ARE YOU NOT IN THE UNION"Law7 wrote:The reason I locked my bike and didn't take the key is because the bike has no stand, therefore I need to lock it to prevent rolling down hill... stupidly forgetting security.
The police were involved and statements were given so I don't think It was management.
Management were calm about it, said it happened to one of them. Investigative meeting sometime next week, possible disciplinary.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: My bike was stolen...
This is true but normally only used if mail was stolen. Before revision we used to leave mail in the panniers of bikes all the time.coxie wrote:I don't want to alarm you but you'd best be prepared that leaving mail unattended like that is a sackable offence
The key part is just a error, just say it was a one off. I left my key in the bike lock plenty of times.
Expect a slap on the wrist and at worse a warning. Safer to go in with a rep though. Join the CWU on line.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
lollollol
- Posts: 155
- Joined: 27 Sep 2011, 19:24
- Gender: Male
Re: My bike was stolen...
As the alleged offence happened prior to the individual joining the CWU the union might not offer support in this matter... probably down to the local rep...
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: My bike was stolen...
Sorry but you are misinformed - there certainly are not many left but if a duty has been risk assessed and a cycle is deemed as the most appropriate delivery method then they can still be used.human1 wrote:What bike ? there are no more bikes in delivery offices.
IIRC we have at least one postie on here that still does a cycle delivery, unfortunately I can't recall who it is.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: My bike was stolen...
Some of the duties I occasionally cover as a reserve out here in rural Norfolk are still cycling duties, the deadline for getting rid of them was over a year ago but they'll probably go sometime this year. The duty holders leave their bikes unlocked for ages, I break the duties into tiny loops around the bike so I'm always within hollering distance of it.
I surprised two girls recently when they were giggling together letting their little mutt take a pee against it! Nice area but any kid could be tempted by an amazon packet sitting there unattended. Maybe my "Oi! Gerrof!" which sent them racing off down the street has stopped them from getting drawn into a life of crime?
I sometimes see the bikes unattended so long I'm tempted to move them a bit, just a street away! I don't think it's fair to leave that sort of temptation in front of some kids.
I did hear recently that there are still 4,500 bikes still in service around the country, and that they're all supposed to go soon.
I surprised two girls recently when they were giggling together letting their little mutt take a pee against it! Nice area but any kid could be tempted by an amazon packet sitting there unattended. Maybe my "Oi! Gerrof!" which sent them racing off down the street has stopped them from getting drawn into a life of crime?
I sometimes see the bikes unattended so long I'm tempted to move them a bit, just a street away! I don't think it's fair to leave that sort of temptation in front of some kids.
I did hear recently that there are still 4,500 bikes still in service around the country, and that they're all supposed to go soon.