ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
What year ...what wage??
-
royalmailslave
- Posts: 126
- Joined: 20 Sep 2010, 17:09
- Gender: Male
What year ...what wage??
Just curious to know what year people started working for RM and what was your first wage,curious as to how it's evolved.
I started in April 1998...to cover the Autumn Pressure.....my first wage was a mere £92
16 years later..........
I started in April 1998...to cover the Autumn Pressure.....my first wage was a mere £92
16 years later..........
-
venger
- Posts: 206
- Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 13:38
Re: What year ...what wage??
I started in '96 part time.. Bloody hell.. Ummm I guess it was about £90 or something (take home) I can't remember and I've no idea where my first docket is.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Re: What year ...what wage??
cant remember me first RM wage as i started on an 18 hour contract,,,,,but me first take home pay from me first job when i was 16 was £13.25....to make matters worse,,,me mother demanded £7.00 board,,,and i was left with the princely sum of £6.25 for a weeks pocket money.....40 hrs a week an all.venger wrote:I started in '96 part time.. Bloody hell.. Ummm I guess it was about £90 or something (take home) I can't remember and I've no idea where my first docket is.
-
ratchet
- Posts: 210
- Joined: 03 Dec 2012, 13:12
- Gender: Male
- Location: Buggered off to France
Re: What year ...what wage??
Kinneldaveyeff wrote:cant remember me first RM wage as i started on an 18 hour contract,,,,,but me first take home pay from me first job when i was 16 was £13.25....to make matters worse,,,me mother demanded £7.00 board,,,and i was left with the princely sum of £6.25 for a weeks pocket money.....40 hrs a week an all.venger wrote:I started in '96 part time.. Bloody hell.. Ummm I guess it was about £90 or something (take home) I can't remember and I've no idea where my first docket is.
You must be about 110 years old
I am no longer a number :-)
-
deltaforce
- Posts: 778
- Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
- Gender: Male
Re: What year ...what wage??
In 1982 my basic wage was £86 for a 43 hour week but over time was a good payer then. Double time after the first 12 hours.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Re: What year ...what wage??
55,,,but in 1975 i was a 16 yr old apprentice. after serving the first yr and attending college it went up to £27.00. me mother relented at this point and i gave her a tenner board. 17 pund for mesel and it was only 31p a pint...hoo hoo. i was worth a fortuneratchet wrote:Kinneldaveyeff wrote:cant remember me first RM wage as i started on an 18 hour contract,,,,,but me first take home pay from me first job when i was 16 was £13.25....to make matters worse,,,me mother demanded £7.00 board,,,and i was left with the princely sum of £6.25 for a weeks pocket money.....40 hrs a week an all.venger wrote:I started in '96 part time.. Bloody hell.. Ummm I guess it was about £90 or something (take home) I can't remember and I've no idea where my first docket is.
You must be about 110 years old
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: What year ...what wage??
Started first job in 1966 on £4.10shillings per week. Parents had £1.10 shilings so was left with £3. Kept me in beer all week and able to go and watch Oxford Utd at the week end. Promised 10 shillings pay rise after six months which never came, so left and got a job with a building company for £8 a week. Thought I was in seventh heaven.
-
saddlerposty
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 248
- Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
- Gender: Male
Re: What year ...what wage??
started in the leather trade as an saddlemaker back in 1977 on a massive £20 a week. having gone from £1.50 week as a paper boy i thought I was the dogs b......s, until ma said I had to pay board and lodgings, bus fare to and from work, buy my own lunch, tools needed for the job etc. still was better off than a few mates who where on the dole at £8 a week.
ooh happy days.
ooh happy days.
-
VforVendetta
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 05 Oct 2013, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: What year ...what wage??
Started as a postal cadet in 1989. Think my wage was about £68 a week for full time with lots of training courses and a weeks trip to Surrey to stay in a hut! That was a good wage for 16 then. It went up by quite a lot by 17 but I can't exactly remember. Maybe £170 but that seems a lot for then...
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: What year ...what wage??
Hourly rates would be easier to compare!
I started in 1997, it was £4.54 per hour then. But you had Saturday premium, time and a half OT and shift allowance for early starts plus any night OT.
Working a Friday night at the MC paid time and a half, plus Saturday premium after 12, plus shift allowance which was somewhere around £1.40p/h.
What that means is if you worked a Friday night in 1997 you got paid more for it than you do now! So while basic wage has grown a lot (and that's the most important thing to be fair), the potential for extra earnings has diminished massively. I would be very interested to see RM's overall wage bills each year for the last 20 years.
I started in 1997, it was £4.54 per hour then. But you had Saturday premium, time and a half OT and shift allowance for early starts plus any night OT.
Working a Friday night at the MC paid time and a half, plus Saturday premium after 12, plus shift allowance which was somewhere around £1.40p/h.
What that means is if you worked a Friday night in 1997 you got paid more for it than you do now! So while basic wage has grown a lot (and that's the most important thing to be fair), the potential for extra earnings has diminished massively. I would be very interested to see RM's overall wage bills each year for the last 20 years.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: What year ...what wage??
Started in 88.
Take home pay was £96 for the first year probation, yes a whole year
After that it went up to £108 take home.
Take home pay was £96 for the first year probation, yes a whole year
After that it went up to £108 take home.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: What year ...what wage??
Bring back after 12pm saturday premium, I feel like a right mug knowing this used to be a thing when I regularly work to 18:30 on a Sat clearing whatevers left in the office. 
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: What year ...what wage??
Yeah and early morning allowance and nightnorm wrote:Bring back after 12pm saturday premium, I feel like a right mug knowing this used to be a thing when I regularly work to 18:30 on a Sat clearing whatevers left in the office.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........