ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Pay.....

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
RetroJunkie
Posts: 165
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 16:06
Gender: Female

Pay.....

Post by RetroJunkie »

How well does this job fair to others? Do you feel comfortable with what you earn? How different is full time to part time say no less than 30hrs do everyone you know working 30hrs work a second job or do overtime on a weekly basis? Just tryna get a feel of how people up and down the country feel about there living made at RM?
Pat Ostman
Posts: 2797
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 21:53
Gender: Male
Location: In the Line Managers office being screwed over.

Re: Pay.....

Post by Pat Ostman »

Royal Mail work is well paid (compared to other menial jobs). Think of it as a 'skin thicking payment' as while they pay around 9.40 an hour they have disgraceful staff and management relations and they are a joke if you genuinely need family friendly hours or you have a disability.

Doesn't stop them sticking 'positive about disability' and 'family friendly' s**t all over their paperwork though. Funny that. :hmmmm
Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun.
And when at last the work is done. Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

Re: Pay.....

Post by deltaforce »

Within the industry we are up the top end for pay and holidays and pensions. How long that can be afforded is debatable. The models that our competitors are coming up with is the self employed pay per item scenario or the zero hours minimum wage nonsense. Long term I think that is where we are heading ,once this new agreement has run its course.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Pay.....

Post by krussel »

Personally I think we are very well paid.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

Re: Pay.....

Post by crazyshrew »

For an unskilled job it's hard to argue that we aren't well paid.

As someone on a 23.5 hour contract I earn almost the same as someone working 40 hours on minimum wage (and actually slightly more when you factor in delivery supplement) although still not quite earning a living wage, I had it worked out recently and I'm £54 a week short of that.

But...
Like many others in the country, PT'ers and 0 hr contract holders - I'm not underpaid, just underemployed
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: Pay.....

Post by maisymoo04 »

It pays my mortgage, got two cars (not bangers) go on holiday , and go out at a weekend on the p@@ :whistle :Very Happy
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
the dragon
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 115
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 14:33

Re: Pay.....

Post by the dragon »

krussel wrote:Personally I think we are very well paid.
I have the very same "discussion" with fellow posties virtually every week, we are NOT very well paid!! We are better paid than other employees in our industry but it is these other workers that are POORLY paid!! We have married F/T posties with children in our office, who claim benefits i.e tax credits and housing benefits. How on earth are we "VERY WELL PAID" if some of our colleagues have to claim handouts from the govt, for them to make ends meet?? Now, if you were talking about the salaries of most of our management.......different story :dance
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Pay.....

Post by krussel »

the dragon wrote:
krussel wrote:Personally I think we are very well paid.
I have the very same "discussion" with fellow posties virtually every week, we are NOT very well paid!! We are better paid than other employees in our industry but it is these other workers that are POORLY paid!! We have married F/T posties with children in our office, who claim benefits i.e tax credits and housing benefits. How on earth are we "VERY WELL PAID" if some of our colleagues have to claim handouts from the govt, for them to make ends meet?? Now, if you were talking about the salaries of most of our management.......different story :dance

You have to look at other industry to compare and what they would expect you to achieve to be paid the same salary. To earn the same as a postman I would need to be at management level with added responsibility and targets etc.

No when you look around we really are well paid for what we do. Which of course is thanks to the CWU. :Very Happy
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: Pay.....

Post by maisymoo04 »

the dragon wrote:
krussel wrote:Personally I think we are very well paid.
I have the very same "discussion" with fellow posties virtually every week, we are NOT very well paid!! We are better paid than other employees in our industry but it is these other workers that are POORLY paid!! We have married F/T posties with children in our office, who claim benefits i.e tax credits and housing benefits. How on earth are we "VERY WELL PAID" if some of our colleagues have to claim handouts from the govt, for them to make ends meet?? Now, if you were talking about the salaries of most of our management.......different story :dance
Housing benefits ??? Having a laff arnt you :whistle
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
venger
Posts: 206
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 13:38

Re: Pay.....

Post by venger »

'Fair pay' is is subjective. Compare a full-time postman's wage to a DOM. It's less than the national wage average. It's not the worst pay, but it's not "OMG amazing" if it was so great and the job was so easy, we'd have far more applicants for jobs and when new people do come in, they'd not quit so quickly.
the dragon
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 115
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 14:33

Re: Pay.....

Post by the dragon »

krussel wrote:
the dragon wrote:
krussel wrote:Personally I think we are very well paid.
I have the very same "discussion" with fellow posties virtually every week, we are NOT very well paid!! We are better paid than other employees in our industry but it is these other workers that are POORLY paid!! We have married F/T posties with children in our office, who claim benefits i.e tax credits and housing benefits. How on earth are we "VERY WELL PAID" if some of our colleagues have to claim handouts from the govt, for them to make ends meet?? Now, if you were talking about the salaries of most of our management.......different story :dance

You have to look at other industry to compare and what they would expect you to achieve to be paid the same salary. To earn the same as a postman I would need to be at management level with added responsibility and targets etc.

No when you look around we really are well paid for what we do. Which of course is thanks to the CWU. :Very Happy

I dont agree, what Im saying is just because we are better paid than other comparable jobs, that doesnt mean we are very well paid :crazy:
To me, it shows how very poorly paid these "other" jobs are . Im hopeful(not very :sad: ) that this country will have a "living" wage for all workers in the future and even then plenty will still have to claim "top up " benefits :mad
the dragon
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 115
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 14:33

Re: Pay.....

Post by the dragon »

maisymoo04 wrote:
the dragon wrote:
krussel wrote:Personally I think we are very well paid.
I have the very same "discussion" with fellow posties virtually every week, we are NOT very well paid!! We are better paid than other employees in our industry but it is these other workers that are POORLY paid!! We have married F/T posties with children in our office, who claim benefits i.e tax credits and housing benefits. How on earth are we "VERY WELL PAID" if some of our colleagues have to claim handouts from the govt, for them to make ends meet?? Now, if you were talking about the salaries of most of our management.......different story :dance
Housing benefits ??? Having a laff arnt you :whistle
when a colleague told me that he claims "housing benefit" I was also sceptical but after a quick chat with him, Ive no reason not to disbelieve him. The fact that the has 8 kids , all under 16 and lives in a 5 bedroom "private" house property swayed me :Very Happy
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Pay.....

Post by krussel »

the dragon wrote:
krussel wrote:
the dragon wrote:
krussel wrote:Personally I think we are very well paid.
I have the very same "discussion" with fellow posties virtually every week, we are NOT very well paid!! We are better paid than other employees in our industry but it is these other workers that are POORLY paid!! We have married F/T posties with children in our office, who claim benefits i.e tax credits and housing benefits. How on earth are we "VERY WELL PAID" if some of our colleagues have to claim handouts from the govt, for them to make ends meet?? Now, if you were talking about the salaries of most of our management.......different story :dance

You have to look at other industry to compare and what they would expect you to achieve to be paid the same salary. To earn the same as a postman I would need to be at management level with added responsibility and targets etc.

No when you look around we really are well paid for what we do. Which of course is thanks to the CWU. :Very Happy

I dont agree, what Im saying is just because we are better paid than other comparable jobs, that doesnt mean we are very well paid :crazy:
To me, it shows how very poorly paid these "other" jobs are . Im hopeful(not very :sad: ) that this country will have a "living" wage for all workers in the future and even then plenty will still have to claim "top up " benefits :mad

I see where you are coming from but that’s a far greater question and debate. That would be more like “is the standard of living higher in the UK than the rest of Europe” The answer is probably not but we are talking about postman’s pay here.

I guess you have to be realistic as we are still within a recession and it will be a while before any benefits of recovery will be felt at our skill level, if ever really at all.

The issue of part time 25hr contracts just not being enough hours is very real and I agree that its not really liveable by modern standards, at least I could not achieve it with my out goings.

I think for “full time” employment “at our skill level” and taking into account holidays, sick pay, overtime and paid meal breaks the money we are paid is actually pretty good.

My final thoughts are that personally I would not like to leave tomorrow and go out and try to find equivalent employment within the current climate.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
the dragon
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 115
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 14:33

Re: Pay.....

Post by the dragon »

I am a realist aswell, so your last sentence holds water for me. I also agree with what you say on 25 hour contracts and the dreaded 0 hour contracts etc, that a lot of people suffer with and Im obviously(in general) satisfied with my wage and benefits.What I dont get is the throw away statement that some posties use i.e " We are very well paid " . To me, "very well paid" would put us above the average wage, where in fact we are over 30% below that figure.Its all just comparable I suppose :confused