ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Reduced hours

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Reduced hours

Post by Barbel »

So I get home today to find a letter telling me with effect from the 14/04/2014 my hours have been reduced from 30 down to 24. No one in the office informed me of this, I just arrived home to find the letter. As the 14th was last Monday and I knew nothing about it I've worked 30 hours this week,so does this mean I'm not going to get paid for extra 6 hours I did? Also does anyone know on a 24 hour contract what hours I will be working, will I still be doing 8-2 but only working a 4 day week as opposed to 5? It doesn't say in the letter. Also does anyone know what this means: Substantive Grade OPG? To say I'm peed off is an understatement. :arrrghhh
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Re: Reduced hours

Post by doorstepped »

I started with RM 6 years ago and 2 weeks before my first year was up I was put down to 25 hours from 40 and I could'nt do anything about it, it took me until October last year ( revision ) to get back to 39 hours a week.

sod all you can do about it, it P1ssed me off big time when it happened to me, all you can do is hope to pick up the overtime to be able to get back to 30 hours a week
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Reduced hours

Post by chrisj »

Also does anyone know what this means: Substantive Grade OPG?
Substantive Grade OPG means you now have a permanent contract but sadly you are on a 24-hour permanent contract.

I think it is mostly good news. You now firmly have your foot in the door and most likely will continue to do more hours that 24 hours as it seems your office needs you; perhaps to continue to do the 30 hours or even more.

Either way, that cannot easily get short of you and the only way is now Up - as long as you do not get in trouble.

congratulations! (small C) :thumbup
Last edited by chrisj on 19 Apr 2014, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Reduced hours

Post by Barbel »

doorstepped wrote:I started with RM 6 years ago and 2 weeks before my first year was up I was put down to 25 hours from 40 and I could'nt do anything about it, it took me until October last year ( revision ) to get back to 39 hours a week.

sod all you can do about it, it P1ssed me off big time when it happened to me, all you can do is hope to pick up the overtime to be able to get back to 30 hours a week
Blimey that is a big drop! Like you say there's nothing you can do about it and at least I've still got a job, it's just the fact nobody told me and I've worked 30 hours this week when I should have done 24! I really hope I can claim back for those 6 hours. I wonder what hours I'll be working now though, 4 days a week or coming in at 9 instead of 8, will I have to do any prepping or what?
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Reduced hours

Post by Barbel »

chrisj wrote:
Also does anyone know what this means: Substantive Grade OPG?
Substantive Grade OPG means you now have a permanent contract but sadly you are on a 24-hour permanent contract.

I think it is mostly good news. You now firmly have your foot in the door and most likely will continue to do more hours that 24 hours as it seems your office needs you perhaps to continue to do the 30 hours or even more.

Either way, that cannot easily get short of you and the only way is now Up - as long as you do not get in trouble.

congratulations! (small C) :thumbup

Yay thanks, that is good news! Not as bad as I thought and I know I can do overtime. :nana
gary1975
Posts: 482
Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
Gender: Male

Re: Reduced hours

Post by gary1975 »

Wow full time after only six years :Applause
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Reduced hours

Post by Barbel »

gary1975 wrote:Wow full time after only six years :Applause

I've only got another 4.5 years to go then!
Dalelad
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 62
Joined: 09 May 2013, 21:10
Gender: Male

Re: Reduced hours

Post by Dalelad »

Barbel wrote:
gary1975 wrote:Wow full time after only six years :Applause

I've only got another 4.5 years to go then!
10 years and counting since anyone made upto F/T in my DO. I've resigned myself to the fact that i'm gunna be a P/T worker for rest of my working life.