ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...
Do all the pending scanned items get lost?
-
feduppostie
- Posts: 947
- Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46
Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...
no it just needs a hard reboot
everything is still there
everything is still there
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...
probably true in most cases, but there is potential for data loss whenever a computer crashes.feduppostie wrote:no it just needs a hard reboot
everything is still there
-
feduppostie
- Posts: 947
- Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46
Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...
true but I have never had a PDA that didn't recover its data - even after being dropped in a milkshake ( don't ask)Postie45 wrote:probably true in most cases, but there is potential for data loss whenever a computer crashes.feduppostie wrote:no it just needs a hard reboot
everything is still there
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...
feduppostie wrote:true but I have never had a PDA that didn't recover its data - even after being dropped in a milkshake ( don't ask)Postie45 wrote:probably true in most cases, but there is potential for data loss whenever a computer crashes.feduppostie wrote:no it just needs a hard reboot
everything is still there
I dropped mine on Wednesday with battery at 70% and comms suspended, had about 8 scans in waiting for comms. Battery fell out, replaced it and everything was okay. In fact comms came back and they all downloaded fine.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
postypie
- Posts: 435
- Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...
Mine has crashed time and time again....usually when I am stood outside a customers house asking them to sign for an item...how blooming embarrassing ......''er..can you just hang on a minute....I have to reboot my PDA''....which seems to take around 4 to 5 mins with mine....have the planners/RM allowed enough time on deliveries for these PDA units that crash every day without fail?
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...
Totally agree. I dread the black screen of embarrassment on the doorstep. If I have a sign for coming up I check the thing a good few houses before to allow a full re boot. Outdated, heavy, over complicated, crap windows, 2007 pieces of rubbish.postypie wrote:Mine has crashed time and time again....usually when I am stood outside a customers house asking them to sign for an item...how blooming embarrassing ......''er..can you just hang on a minute....I have to reboot my PDA''....which seems to take around 4 to 5 mins with mine....have the planners/RM allowed enough time on deliveries for these PDA units that crash every day without fail?
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...
I don't bother with the PDA if it crashes,I always carry a couple of the old signature sheets and use those,if the kit is unreliable and they won't do anything about it why should I bother.Same when you come to get your PDA in the morning and somebody else has took your good one and left you one with a U/S battery that lasts about an hour,just use the old style sheets and I report the faulty PDA when I get back.postypie wrote:Mine has crashed time and time again....usually when I am stood outside a customers house asking them to sign for an item...how blooming embarrassing ......''er..can you just hang on a minute....I have to reboot my PDA''....which seems to take around 4 to 5 mins with mine....have the planners/RM allowed enough time on deliveries for these PDA units that crash every day without fail?
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...
That's the problem though - if you follow procedure, exit-comms-reconnect it does naff-all. Remove the battery, press the soft reset button and wait 2 1/2 hours for it all to reboot, then it's fine and clears down. Half of them have crap batteries which last barely an hour, the other half don't have a working backlight so me and the customer can barely read them or not at all in sunshine....TrueBlueTerrier wrote:feduppostie wrote:true but I have never had a PDA that didn't recover its data - even after being dropped in a milkshake ( don't ask)Postie45 wrote:probably true in most cases, but there is potential for data loss whenever a computer crashes.feduppostie wrote:no it just needs a hard reboot
everything is still there
I dropped mine on Wednesday with battery at 70% and comms suspended, had about 8 scans in waiting for comms. Battery fell out, replaced it and everything was okay. In fact comms came back and they all downloaded fine.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...
Our PDAs are signed out as per allocation it's not possible for someone to take another as they are handed out with the vehicle/HCT.DB1100 wrote:I don't bother with the PDA if it crashes,I always carry a couple of the old signature sheets and use those,if the kit is unreliable and they won't do anything about it why should I bother.Same when you come to get your PDA in the morning and somebody else has took your good one and left you one with a U/S battery that lasts about an hour,just use the old style sheets and I report the faulty PDA when I get back.postypie wrote:Mine has crashed time and time again....usually when I am stood outside a customers house asking them to sign for an item...how blooming embarrassing ......''er..can you just hang on a minute....I have to reboot my PDA''....which seems to take around 4 to 5 mins with mine....have the planners/RM allowed enough time on deliveries for these PDA units that crash every day without fail?
-
Tuffers-1875
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 11 May 2011, 21:28
- Gender: Male
Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...
I couldn't give a shiny if it says comms suspended or whatever. If it don't work, it ain't my fault, simples. I ain't paid to be a computer geek as well. And if it still says comms suspended when I get back, so what, I just sling it in the cage and go home.
-
Glenno
- Posts: 1491
- Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 13:12
Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...
Well said Tuffers old chapTuffers-1875 wrote:I couldn't give a shiny if it says comms suspended or whatever. If it don't work, it ain't my fault, simples. I ain't paid to be a computer geek as well. And if it still says comms suspended when I get back, so what, I just sling it in the cage and go home.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...
I got a boll*cking for that the other day. I forgot to check it, and left 11 items on it. Next morning, I was called into the office over the tannoy to the usual accompaniment of jeers, wisecracks and catcalls from the frames and found the lino with about 8 sheets of paper he'd spent 20 minutes printing off before he cottoned on they were all 'failures' on one round which was mine.....Tuffers-1875 wrote:I couldn't give a shiny if it says comms suspended or whatever. If it don't work, it ain't my fault, simples. I ain't paid to be a computer geek as well. And if it still says comms suspended when I get back, so what, I just sling it in the cage and go home.
He was half relieved that they weren't failures after all and half peed off with wasting time printing them all off. We are told to clear them before putting them through the hatch or back in the charging cabinet.
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...
If they haven't been cleared then they are classed as failures anyway.bustedflush wrote:I got a boll*cking for that the other day. I forgot to check it, and left 11 items on it. Next morning, I was called into the office over the tannoy to the usual accompaniment of jeers, wisecracks and catcalls from the frames and found the lino with about 8 sheets of paper he'd spent 20 minutes printing off before he cottoned on they were all 'failures' on one round which was mine.....Tuffers-1875 wrote:I couldn't give a shiny if it says comms suspended or whatever. If it don't work, it ain't my fault, simples. I ain't paid to be a computer geek as well. And if it still says comms suspended when I get back, so what, I just sling it in the cage and go home.![]()
![]()
![]()
He was half relieved that they weren't failures after all and half peed off with wasting time printing them all off. We are told to clear them before putting them through the hatch or back in the charging cabinet.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...
I could work with you,I think exactly the same.Tuffers-1875 wrote:I couldn't give a shiny if it says comms suspended or whatever. If it don't work, it ain't my fault, simples. I ain't paid to be a computer geek as well. And if it still says comms suspended when I get back, so what, I just sling it in the cage and go home.
For we were soldiers once,and young