ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by datasaint »

Do all the pending scanned items get lost?
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by feduppostie »

no it just needs a hard reboot

everything is still there
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by Postie45 »

feduppostie wrote:no it just needs a hard reboot

everything is still there
probably true in most cases, but there is potential for data loss whenever a computer crashes.
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by feduppostie »

Postie45 wrote:
feduppostie wrote:no it just needs a hard reboot

everything is still there
probably true in most cases, but there is potential for data loss whenever a computer crashes.
true but I have never had a PDA that didn't recover its data - even after being dropped in a milkshake ( don't ask)
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

feduppostie wrote:
Postie45 wrote:
feduppostie wrote:no it just needs a hard reboot

everything is still there
probably true in most cases, but there is potential for data loss whenever a computer crashes.
true but I have never had a PDA that didn't recover its data - even after being dropped in a milkshake ( don't ask)

I dropped mine on Wednesday with battery at 70% and comms suspended, had about 8 scans in waiting for comms. Battery fell out, replaced it and everything was okay. In fact comms came back and they all downloaded fine.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
postypie
Posts: 435
Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by postypie »

Mine has crashed time and time again....usually when I am stood outside a customers house asking them to sign for an item...how blooming embarrassing ......''er..can you just hang on a minute....I have to reboot my PDA''....which seems to take around 4 to 5 mins with mine....have the planners/RM allowed enough time on deliveries for these PDA units that crash every day without fail?
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by krussel »

postypie wrote:Mine has crashed time and time again....usually when I am stood outside a customers house asking them to sign for an item...how blooming embarrassing ......''er..can you just hang on a minute....I have to reboot my PDA''....which seems to take around 4 to 5 mins with mine....have the planners/RM allowed enough time on deliveries for these PDA units that crash every day without fail?
Totally agree. I dread the black screen of embarrassment on the doorstep. If I have a sign for coming up I check the thing a good few houses before to allow a full re boot. Outdated, heavy, over complicated, crap windows, 2007 pieces of rubbish. :evil/mad
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by DB1100 »

postypie wrote:Mine has crashed time and time again....usually when I am stood outside a customers house asking them to sign for an item...how blooming embarrassing ......''er..can you just hang on a minute....I have to reboot my PDA''....which seems to take around 4 to 5 mins with mine....have the planners/RM allowed enough time on deliveries for these PDA units that crash every day without fail?
I don't bother with the PDA if it crashes,I always carry a couple of the old signature sheets and use those,if the kit is unreliable and they won't do anything about it why should I bother.Same when you come to get your PDA in the morning and somebody else has took your good one and left you one with a U/S battery that lasts about an hour,just use the old style sheets and I report the faulty PDA when I get back.
For we were soldiers once,and young
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by bustedflush »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
feduppostie wrote:
Postie45 wrote:
feduppostie wrote:no it just needs a hard reboot

everything is still there
probably true in most cases, but there is potential for data loss whenever a computer crashes.
true but I have never had a PDA that didn't recover its data - even after being dropped in a milkshake ( don't ask)

I dropped mine on Wednesday with battery at 70% and comms suspended, had about 8 scans in waiting for comms. Battery fell out, replaced it and everything was okay. In fact comms came back and they all downloaded fine.
That's the problem though - if you follow procedure, exit-comms-reconnect it does naff-all. Remove the battery, press the soft reset button and wait 2 1/2 hours for it all to reboot, then it's fine and clears down. Half of them have crap batteries which last barely an hour, the other half don't have a working backlight so me and the customer can barely read them or not at all in sunshine.... :cry
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by dvbuk55 »

DB1100 wrote:
postypie wrote:Mine has crashed time and time again....usually when I am stood outside a customers house asking them to sign for an item...how blooming embarrassing ......''er..can you just hang on a minute....I have to reboot my PDA''....which seems to take around 4 to 5 mins with mine....have the planners/RM allowed enough time on deliveries for these PDA units that crash every day without fail?
I don't bother with the PDA if it crashes,I always carry a couple of the old signature sheets and use those,if the kit is unreliable and they won't do anything about it why should I bother.Same when you come to get your PDA in the morning and somebody else has took your good one and left you one with a U/S battery that lasts about an hour,just use the old style sheets and I report the faulty PDA when I get back.
Our PDAs are signed out as per allocation it's not possible for someone to take another as they are handed out with the vehicle/HCT.
Tuffers-1875
Posts: 25
Joined: 11 May 2011, 21:28
Gender: Male

Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by Tuffers-1875 »

I couldn't give a shiny if it says comms suspended or whatever. If it don't work, it ain't my fault, simples. I ain't paid to be a computer geek as well. And if it still says comms suspended when I get back, so what, I just sling it in the cage and go home.
Glenno
Posts: 1491
Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 13:12

Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by Glenno »

Tuffers-1875 wrote:I couldn't give a shiny if it says comms suspended or whatever. If it don't work, it ain't my fault, simples. I ain't paid to be a computer geek as well. And if it still says comms suspended when I get back, so what, I just sling it in the cage and go home.
Well said Tuffers old chap :wave :wave
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by bustedflush »

Tuffers-1875 wrote:I couldn't give a shiny if it says comms suspended or whatever. If it don't work, it ain't my fault, simples. I ain't paid to be a computer geek as well. And if it still says comms suspended when I get back, so what, I just sling it in the cage and go home.
I got a boll*cking for that the other day. I forgot to check it, and left 11 items on it. Next morning, I was called into the office over the tannoy to the usual accompaniment of jeers, wisecracks and catcalls from the frames and found the lino with about 8 sheets of paper he'd spent 20 minutes printing off before he cottoned on they were all 'failures' on one round which was mine..... :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy

He was half relieved that they weren't failures after all and half peed off with wasting time printing them all off. We are told to clear them before putting them through the hatch or back in the charging cabinet.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by OnAFlyer »

bustedflush wrote:
Tuffers-1875 wrote:I couldn't give a shiny if it says comms suspended or whatever. If it don't work, it ain't my fault, simples. I ain't paid to be a computer geek as well. And if it still says comms suspended when I get back, so what, I just sling it in the cage and go home.
I got a boll*cking for that the other day. I forgot to check it, and left 11 items on it. Next morning, I was called into the office over the tannoy to the usual accompaniment of jeers, wisecracks and catcalls from the frames and found the lino with about 8 sheets of paper he'd spent 20 minutes printing off before he cottoned on they were all 'failures' on one round which was mine..... :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy

He was half relieved that they weren't failures after all and half peed off with wasting time printing them all off. We are told to clear them before putting them through the hatch or back in the charging cabinet.
If they haven't been cleared then they are classed as failures anyway.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by DB1100 »

Tuffers-1875 wrote:I couldn't give a shiny if it says comms suspended or whatever. If it don't work, it ain't my fault, simples. I ain't paid to be a computer geek as well. And if it still says comms suspended when I get back, so what, I just sling it in the cage and go home.
I could work with you,I think exactly the same.
For we were soldiers once,and young