ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Allocated Holidays
-
new2me
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 06:36
- Gender: Male
Allocated Holidays
Found out on saturday that i've been allocated 1 week's holiday from April 21 ... that's just over a week's notice. Is this acceptable?
-
coxie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1336
- Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
- Gender: Male
Re: Allocated Holidays
It's common practise at most offices but if you feel you need this holiday for later then speak to whoever is in charge and try to reschedule it, they wot let you have 2 or 3 weeks I booked anymore and face a late flurry of desperate postman later in te year trying to cram it all in.
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Allocated Holidays
Guidelines for giving notice for holidays on the gov website is twice the length you are booking off, so 2 weeks notice for 1 weeks holiday, but they are only guidelinesnew2me wrote:Found out on saturday that i've been allocated 1 week's holiday from April 21 ... that's just over a week's notice. Is this acceptable?
As to whether its acceptable that's down to if you feel its acceptable, question is why are you being allocated a weeks holiday at this time of year, the whole years holiday rota should have been sorted out in october last year
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Allocated Holidays
Common practice?coxie wrote:It's common practise at most offices but if you feel you need this holiday for later then speak to whoever is in charge and try to reschedule it, they wot let you have 2 or 3 weeks I booked anymore and face a late flurry of desperate postman later in te year trying to cram it all in.
Well 2 points
1 holidays should be sorted the preceding october
2 holidays shouldn't be allocated
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Allocated Holidays
the only decent thing you have saidzx135 wrote:Common practice?coxie wrote:It's common practise at most offices but if you feel you need this holiday for later then speak to whoever is in charge and try to reschedule it, they wot let you have 2 or 3 weeks I booked anymore and face a late flurry of desperate postman later in te year trying to cram it all in.
Well 2 points
1 holidays should be sorted the preceding october
2 holidays shouldn't be allocated
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: Allocated Holidays
you have 9 days holiday and it is easter week. Enjoy it. Have a look at http://www.lastminutes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for holiday break if you fancy going away.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Allocated Holidays
no such websiteDarren Bent wrote:you have 9 days holiday and it is easter week. Enjoy it. Have a look at http://www.lastminutes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for holiday break if you fancy going away.
-
new2me
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 06:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Allocated Holidays
I started in November last year, but request forms were only given out in January as far as I remember and that is to everyone, not just the new starts.zx135 wrote: question is why are you being allocated a weeks holiday at this time of year, the whole years holiday rota should have been sorted out in october last year
personally, I dont find it acceptable, but there are a couple of other major things I dont find acceptable too, so am going to give this some more thought. thanks
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Allocated Holidays
did you fill in your four weeks?new2me wrote:I started in November last year, but request forms were only given out in January as far as I remember and that is to everyone, not just the new starts.zx135 wrote: question is why are you being allocated a weeks holiday at this time of year, the whole years holiday rota should have been sorted out in october last year
personally, I dont find it acceptable, but there are a couple of other major things I dont find acceptable too, so am going to give this some more thought. thanks
-
new2me
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 06:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Allocated Holidays
bringon4dayweeks wrote: did you fill in your four weeks?
When dished out, I was told it was for 2 weeks and the other 2 weeks would be sorted later. As I had no plans, I left it and received a 2 week allocation several weeks ago. Then I received confirmation of those 2 weeks and a single date. Now i've received this week too. Yeah, I was later warned by a colleague that I should have put my 4 weeks down, regardless of whether I wanted them at specific times, but that's not my argument. 9 days notice to take a week off so early in the year is ridiculous, but having overheard so many more experienced posties' concerns, I'm not surprised.
Yep, my fault in part for not filling in the sheet, but it wasn't going to guarantee anything anyway.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Allocated Holidays
yes unacceptablenew2me wrote:bringon4dayweeks wrote: did you fill in your four weeks?No
![]()
When dished out, I was told it was for 2 weeks and the other 2 weeks would be sorted later. As I had no plans, I left it and received a 2 week allocation several weeks ago. Then I received confirmation of those 2 weeks and a single date. Now i've received this week too. Yeah, I was later warned by a colleague that I should have put my 4 weeks down, regardless of whether I wanted them at specific times, but that's not my argument. 9 days notice to take a week off so early in the year is ridiculous, but having overheard so many more experienced posties' concerns, I'm not surprised.
Yep, my fault in part for not filling in the sheet, but it wasn't going to guarantee anything anyway.
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Allocated Holidays
Grow up, why bother trying to antagonise people? I really don't care about your opinions you have already shown what sort of person you are, knowingly receiving stolen surcharges and not paying for them shows what sort of person you really arebringon4dayweeks wrote:the only decent thing you have saidzx135 wrote:Common practice?coxie wrote:It's common practise at most offices but if you feel you need this holiday for later then speak to whoever is in charge and try to reschedule it, they wot let you have 2 or 3 weeks I booked anymore and face a late flurry of desperate postman later in te year trying to cram it all in.
Well 2 points
1 holidays should be sorted the preceding october
2 holidays shouldn't be allocated
-
coxie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1336
- Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
- Gender: Male
Re: Allocated Holidays
I didn't say it was right just that it was common, our holidays are sorted in October and any left over is allocated but can't be altered.
-
mlw
- Posts: 182
- Joined: 12 Sep 2013, 21:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Allocated Holidays
CAN YOU BOOK holidays for next easter 2015 as i need to put deposit down this month but apparentley it is too early too book holiday at work so how can you put deposit down?coxie wrote:I didn't say it was right just that it was common, our holidays are sorted in October and any left over is allocated but can't be altered.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Allocated Holidays
no to earlymlw wrote:CAN YOU BOOK holidays for next easter 2015 as i need to put deposit down this month but apparentley it is too early too book holiday at work so how can you put deposit down?coxie wrote:I didn't say it was right just that it was common, our holidays are sorted in October and any left over is allocated but can't be altered.