ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Allocated Holidays

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
new2me
Posts: 104
Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 06:36
Gender: Male

Allocated Holidays

Post by new2me »

Found out on saturday that i've been allocated 1 week's holiday from April 21 ... that's just over a week's notice. Is this acceptable?
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Allocated Holidays

Post by coxie »

It's common practise at most offices but if you feel you need this holiday for later then speak to whoever is in charge and try to reschedule it, they wot let you have 2 or 3 weeks I booked anymore and face a late flurry of desperate postman later in te year trying to cram it all in.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Allocated Holidays

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

new2me wrote:Found out on saturday that i've been allocated 1 week's holiday from April 21 ... that's just over a week's notice. Is this acceptable?
Guidelines for giving notice for holidays on the gov website is twice the length you are booking off, so 2 weeks notice for 1 weeks holiday, but they are only guidelines

As to whether its acceptable that's down to if you feel its acceptable, question is why are you being allocated a weeks holiday at this time of year, the whole years holiday rota should have been sorted out in october last year
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Allocated Holidays

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

coxie wrote:It's common practise at most offices but if you feel you need this holiday for later then speak to whoever is in charge and try to reschedule it, they wot let you have 2 or 3 weeks I booked anymore and face a late flurry of desperate postman later in te year trying to cram it all in.
Common practice?

Well 2 points

1 holidays should be sorted the preceding october

2 holidays shouldn't be allocated
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Allocated Holidays

Post by arnold cheshire »

zx135 wrote:
coxie wrote:It's common practise at most offices but if you feel you need this holiday for later then speak to whoever is in charge and try to reschedule it, they wot let you have 2 or 3 weeks I booked anymore and face a late flurry of desperate postman later in te year trying to cram it all in.
Common practice?

Well 2 points

1 holidays should be sorted the preceding october

2 holidays shouldn't be allocated
the only decent thing you have said
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Allocated Holidays

Post by Darren Bent »

you have 9 days holiday and it is easter week. Enjoy it. Have a look at http://www.lastminutes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for holiday break if you fancy going away.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Allocated Holidays

Post by arnold cheshire »

Darren Bent wrote:you have 9 days holiday and it is easter week. Enjoy it. Have a look at http://www.lastminutes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for holiday break if you fancy going away.
no such website
new2me
Posts: 104
Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 06:36
Gender: Male

Re: Allocated Holidays

Post by new2me »

zx135 wrote: question is why are you being allocated a weeks holiday at this time of year, the whole years holiday rota should have been sorted out in october last year
I started in November last year, but request forms were only given out in January as far as I remember and that is to everyone, not just the new starts.

personally, I dont find it acceptable, but there are a couple of other major things I dont find acceptable too, so am going to give this some more thought. thanks :thumbup
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Allocated Holidays

Post by arnold cheshire »

new2me wrote:
zx135 wrote: question is why are you being allocated a weeks holiday at this time of year, the whole years holiday rota should have been sorted out in october last year
I started in November last year, but request forms were only given out in January as far as I remember and that is to everyone, not just the new starts.

personally, I dont find it acceptable, but there are a couple of other major things I dont find acceptable too, so am going to give this some more thought. thanks :thumbup
did you fill in your four weeks? :thumbup
new2me
Posts: 104
Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 06:36
Gender: Male

Re: Allocated Holidays

Post by new2me »

bringon4dayweeks wrote: did you fill in your four weeks? :thumbup
:crazy: No :left:

When dished out, I was told it was for 2 weeks and the other 2 weeks would be sorted later. As I had no plans, I left it and received a 2 week allocation several weeks ago. Then I received confirmation of those 2 weeks and a single date. Now i've received this week too. Yeah, I was later warned by a colleague that I should have put my 4 weeks down, regardless of whether I wanted them at specific times, but that's not my argument. 9 days notice to take a week off so early in the year is ridiculous, but having overheard so many more experienced posties' concerns, I'm not surprised.
Yep, my fault in part for not filling in the sheet, but it wasn't going to guarantee anything anyway.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Allocated Holidays

Post by arnold cheshire »

new2me wrote:
bringon4dayweeks wrote: did you fill in your four weeks? :thumbup
:crazy: No :left:

When dished out, I was told it was for 2 weeks and the other 2 weeks would be sorted later. As I had no plans, I left it and received a 2 week allocation several weeks ago. Then I received confirmation of those 2 weeks and a single date. Now i've received this week too. Yeah, I was later warned by a colleague that I should have put my 4 weeks down, regardless of whether I wanted them at specific times, but that's not my argument. 9 days notice to take a week off so early in the year is ridiculous, but having overheard so many more experienced posties' concerns, I'm not surprised.
Yep, my fault in part for not filling in the sheet, but it wasn't going to guarantee anything anyway.
yes unacceptable :thumbup
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Allocated Holidays

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:
zx135 wrote:
coxie wrote:It's common practise at most offices but if you feel you need this holiday for later then speak to whoever is in charge and try to reschedule it, they wot let you have 2 or 3 weeks I booked anymore and face a late flurry of desperate postman later in te year trying to cram it all in.
Common practice?

Well 2 points

1 holidays should be sorted the preceding october

2 holidays shouldn't be allocated
the only decent thing you have said
Grow up, why bother trying to antagonise people? I really don't care about your opinions you have already shown what sort of person you are, knowingly receiving stolen surcharges and not paying for them shows what sort of person you really are
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Allocated Holidays

Post by coxie »

I didn't say it was right just that it was common, our holidays are sorted in October and any left over is allocated but can't be altered.
mlw
Posts: 182
Joined: 12 Sep 2013, 21:32
Gender: Male

Re: Allocated Holidays

Post by mlw »

coxie wrote:I didn't say it was right just that it was common, our holidays are sorted in October and any left over is allocated but can't be altered.
CAN YOU BOOK holidays for next easter 2015 as i need to put deposit down this month but apparentley it is too early too book holiday at work so how can you put deposit down?
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Allocated Holidays

Post by arnold cheshire »

mlw wrote:
coxie wrote:I didn't say it was right just that it was common, our holidays are sorted in October and any left over is allocated but can't be altered.
CAN YOU BOOK holidays for next easter 2015 as i need to put deposit down this month but apparentley it is too early too book holiday at work so how can you put deposit down?
no to early :thumbup