ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Being asked to work in other offices?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Robbo318
Posts: 64
Joined: 20 Oct 2007, 16:37

Being asked to work in other offices?

Post by Robbo318 »

There is talk in my office of reserves having to work in other offices during the summer, up to 15 miles away. I live 3 miles from my normal office, but if asked to work that far away and I refuse to use my car, what can they do? Also I have a childcare issue where my child's carer starts her job at 3.30pm and I finish in my normal office at 3pm, so have time to get there currently. If I am 15 miles away working, there is no way I can make it back in time. What are my options please just incase?
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Re: Being asked to work in other offices?

Post by steve1873 »

You can't refuse, as it is a reasonable request. However, make sure to report to YOUR office for your start time and also back to your office for your finishing time to sign out. The time for travelling to and from wi be included in your contractual hours. If your finishing time is 3pm, then you need to ensure you leave the office you are assigned to work at in enoughtime to get to your own office by 3pm. If that means cutting off, so be it.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Being asked to work in other offices?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Robbo318 wrote:There is talk in my office of reserves having to work in other offices during the summer, up to 15 miles away. I live 3 miles from my normal office, but if asked to work that far away and I refuse to use my car, what can they do? Also I have a childcare issue where my child's carer starts her job at 3.30pm and I finish in my normal office at 3pm, so have time to get there currently. If I am 15 miles away working, there is no way I can make it back in time. What are my options please just incase?
Your car may not be covered for travel to another office as commuting is usually only to your normal workplace, and not for onward journets. More so if you have had a P&L revision when the bond has been removed.

If you are tasked to work in another office then the PM07 agreement specifically states

CWU AND ROYAL MAIL PAY AND MODERNISATION AGREEMENT - APRIL 2007/2009


Working in nearby offices – Areas will identify and agree with the CWU locally a approach (which could include the use of volunteers and reserves) to working in nearby offices within employees’ contracted hours which will include travel times and appropriate travel and subsistence arrangements.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
new2me
Posts: 104
Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 06:36
Gender: Male

Re: Being asked to work in other offices?

Post by new2me »

A colleagues was assigned to cover at another office which is equal distance from his home as our office (around 9 miles) and was told to go straight there. As it was equal distance, he couldn't claim fuel either. Is that right, or should he have reported to our DO each day first?
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Re: Being asked to work in other offices?

Post by steve1873 »

new2me wrote:A colleagues was assigned to cover at another office which is equal distance from his home as our office (around 9 miles) and was told to go straight there. As it was equal distance, he couldn't claim fuel either. Is that right, or should he have reported to our DO each day first?
His place of work is the delivery office he works in. He should report there and then be transported to and from the loaning office wothin his contracted hours of employment. Or if they wish him to use his own vehicle for the journey agree to pay a mileage allowance - but regardless, the travelling to and from the loaning office should be undertaken during the contracted hours.
new2me
Posts: 104
Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 06:36
Gender: Male

Re: Being asked to work in other offices?

Post by new2me »

steve1873 wrote: His place of work is the delivery office he works in. He should report there and then be transported to and from the loaning office wothin his contracted hours of employment. Or if they wish him to use his own vehicle for the journey agree to pay a mileage allowance - but regardless, the travelling to and from the loaning office should be undertaken during the contracted hours.
Okay, thanks. I think he was also told that the other office falls within our postal zone - should that make a difference, like it's a sub office?
gary1975
Posts: 482
Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
Gender: Male

Re: Being asked to work in other offices?

Post by gary1975 »

When I was a reserve I had to go to another office I started at my office,by the time I got there informed them that they will get me back to my office for my finish time, only did a row, taxi back to my office on Royal Mail , never sent to another office again simples :nana :nana
Delsin
Posts: 8
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 10:12
Gender: Male

Re: Being asked to work in other offices?

Post by Delsin »

I was told I would be working at another office some distance away compared to my contracted office where I normally walk to work, for a week on loan with no travel expenses paid.

I'm now well into my third week and am extremely unhappy with the situation. Is there anything I can do?
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Being asked to work in other offices?

Post by Hitcher »

How are you getting there?

If you don't want to travel there yourself just turn up at your office on your start time and ask to be taken there and make sure you're back at your office for your finish time.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Being asked to work in other offices?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Delsin wrote:I was told I would be working at another office some distance away compared to my contracted office where I normally walk to work, for a week on loan with no travel expenses paid.

I'm now well into my third week and am extremely unhappy with the situation. Is there anything I can do?

Yes - Join the Union (if not already in) and get their helping putting a claim in.


If you are tasked to work in another office then the PM07 agreement specifically states

CWU AND ROYAL MAIL PAY AND MODERNISATION AGREEMENT - APRIL 2007/2009


Working in nearby offices – Areas will identify and agree with the CWU locally a approach (which could include the use of volunteers and reserves) to working in nearby offices within employees’ contracted hours which will include travel times and appropriate travel and subsistence arrangements.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.