ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

looked down on for having a good work ethic

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
trevjim
Posts: 170
Joined: 05 Dec 2012, 20:04
Gender: Male

looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by trevjim »

Ive found that, myself and a few others are 'bitched' about because we are good at our job :d'oh!

I can get round the rounds quickly and efficiently, and this seems to annoy some.

I was always bought up to work hard and honest, and in doing so, gain the respect of those around you, however in royal mail, it seems if you work hard, you are the devil.

Ive had P/L partners telling me to slow down and if we have any left because of going slow, then that's the managements problem.

Don't get me wrong, I dont run, I dont lick ass, I just come in, get my head down, work hard for my shift, then go home, however it seems to piss a few off that im a good worker
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by eastie »

providing you don't come in early or skip you meal relief or cut corners I can't see a problem
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by krussel »

Some people are great at getting the job done without cutting corners or breaking rules. They just seem more efficient with their time than others.
As a reward RM offer more absorbtion. :arrrghhh

I am afraid that over the years I ve learned its best to work at a steady easy pace.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Keetz
Posts: 10
Joined: 18 Oct 2013, 08:54
Gender: Male

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by Keetz »

Fair play. Good organisation can sometimes work out a lot faster than sprinting around like a headless chicken.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by OnAFlyer »

It's because a lot of the long-timers have spent most of their lives not really having to work. They seem to think that if everyone dragged their feet we would never have had budget cuts, longer deliveries etc.
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by coxie »

I'm willing to put money on this guy not having a meal relief
Dumpys Rusty Nuts
Posts: 180
Joined: 15 May 2011, 21:50
Gender: Male

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by Dumpys Rusty Nuts »

trevjim wrote:Ive found that, myself and a few others are 'bitched' about because we are good at our job :d'oh!

I can get round the rounds quickly and efficiently, and this seems to annoy some.

I was always bought up to work hard and honest, and in doing so, gain the respect of those around you, however in royal mail, it seems if you work hard, you are the devil.

Ive had P/L partners telling me to slow down and if we have any left because of going slow, then that's the managements problem.

Don't get me wrong, I dont run, I dont lick ass, I just come in, get my head down, work hard for my shift, then go home, however it seems to piss a few off that im a good worker
Well done . Your the man.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by Judgee »

trevjim wrote:Ive found that, myself and a few others are 'bitched' about because we are good at our job :d'oh!

I can get round the rounds quickly and efficiently, and this seems to annoy some.

I was always bought up to work hard and honest, and in doing so, gain the respect of those around you, however in royal mail, it seems if you work hard, you are the devil.

Ive had P/L partners telling me to slow down and if we have any left because of going slow, then that's the managements problem.

Don't get me wrong, I dont run, I dont lick ass, I just come in, get my head down, work hard for my shift, then go home, however it seems to piss a few off that im a good worker

You're my heeeeero! :Applause

You and OnAFlyer should get married you'd make a lovely couple! :thumbup
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
venger
Posts: 206
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 13:38

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by venger »

The 'faster' you go around the more work you'll get added. Don't run around, take short-cuts, skip your meal relief, walk and sort. Do everything by the book. Then they can't complain.
It's not about having a good work ethic or that you're something special and everyone else is just a lazy bum, it's about protecting jobs.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by steve1873 »

Correct. And it is also unfair on your partner if you are working at a pace which is unsustainable to the average postman and he/ she feels under pressure to try and keep up with you. Work at a pace that is sustainable five days a week, 365 days a year (minus holidays) and be willing to help your partner if/ when they require it. How hard is it for some people? The amount of fall-outs and grief I see in my office because 1 or both people on a shared van duty are lazy and/ or selfish is incredible. We are all adults after all.

You can say what you want about management - and I often do - but I will tell you what, I wouldn't want to try and manage some of the tossers I work beside! :arrrghhh
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by steve1873 »

Also, there are no prizes for finishing early. Job & finish is long gone. You may still get the occasional little half-hour here and there, but don't be under any illusions, RM will know exactly when you are finishing, or are clearly able to find out using PDA GPS function, CCTV from office car-parks etc. So continue racing round. But don't come crying here when you are either asked to do more work or docked the wages for not working your contracted hours.
jack
Posts: 299
Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 14:32

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by jack »

steve1873 wrote: Job & finish is long gone.
Taint in our office, folk still regularly finish anytime between 12.00/12.30, DOM says nothing... apart to the few who wish to do the job correctly by trying to force them to do overtime :speak to the hand
But don't come crying here when you are either asked to do more work or docked the wages for not working your contracted hours.
Never gonna happen.... especially in our office, these type of folk are the more better thought of :thumbdown
'Royal Mail leaders could not lead a worm, they'll never take our pride cos that's what we earn'
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by datasaint »

steve1873 wrote:using PDA GPS function
If the PDA is trackable via GPS how's it possible to lose one?? :Very Happy
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by korky »

trevjim wrote:Ive found that, myself and a few others are 'bitched' about because we are good at our job :d'oh!

I can get round the rounds quickly and efficiently, and this seems to annoy some.

I was always bought up to work hard and honest, and in doing so, gain the respect of those around you, however in royal mail, it seems if you work hard, you are the devil.

Ive had P/L partners telling me to slow down and if we have any left because of going slow, then that's the managements problem.

Don't get me wrong, I dont run, I dont lick ass, I just come in, get my head down, work hard for my shift, then go home, however it seems to piss a few off that im a good worker
quite common,
RM encourage in-efficiency here (if that's a word?)
quite a few FT don't do any ips EVER, up to 2 hours extra prep and still cut off, which then makes us later out.
we are quite nippy when required, but penalized on lighter days,
that's our pace and sometimes it can be as hard to go slow!
manager knows the problem but lacks the bollox, nice bloke but never a manager,
hence we are dragged down to the "can't be arsed" level because anyone who tries to step up a gear to do their job is welcomed back to the office "oh, here's 10 minutes mail"
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by Judgee »

korky wrote:
trevjim wrote:Ive found that, myself and a few others are 'bitched' about because we are good at our job :d'oh!

I can get round the rounds quickly and efficiently, and this seems to annoy some.

I was always bought up to work hard and honest, and in doing so, gain the respect of those around you, however in royal mail, it seems if you work hard, you are the devil.

Ive had P/L partners telling me to slow down and if we have any left because of going slow, then that's the managements problem.

Don't get me wrong, I dont run, I dont lick ass, I just come in, get my head down, work hard for my shift, then go home, however it seems to piss a few off that im a good worker
quite common,
RM encourage in-efficiency here (if that's a word?)
quite a few FT don't do any ips EVER, up to 2 hours extra prep and still cut off, which then makes us later out.
we are quite nippy when required, but penalized on lighter days,
that's our pace and sometimes it can be as hard to go slow!
manager knows the problem but lacks the bollox, nice bloke but never a manager,
hence we are dragged down to the "can't be arsed" level because anyone who tries to step up a gear to do their job is welcomed back to the office "oh, here's 10 minutes mail"
Bet the managers love you Korky, are you one of their special workers :wink: ?!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?