ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Contracted hours?!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Happybunny87
Posts: 8
Joined: 14 Nov 2013, 09:45
Gender: Female

Contracted hours?!

Post by Happybunny87 »

Hello everyone,

Have a question which has been bugging me for a long time and starting to annoy me if anything else.

We've had our new duties in place for nearly two years now - because of my seniority the only duty that was left for me to pick was a 32 hour duty (Shared Van) - I am contracted for 34 (didn't want to take a buy down in hours either - it wasn't offered anyway)

For the past two years I've been doing 2 hours extra a week IPS, here is the thing another person in my office is also in the same situation as me but never has to come in early? Or is never there when I am. My manager seems to just bully me into coming in. Possible grievance case? I don't even see how I should be made to make these hours up when Royal Mail couldn't supply them in the first place? Tried talking to union rep but he seems to think that because I am contracted I have to do them? Where if a full timer gets back it's job and finish?

Just finding it all a little unfair and not understanding it??? :d'oh!
pinstripe
Posts: 2474
Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
Gender: Male
Location: 2 left turns from reality

Re: Contracted hours?!

Post by pinstripe »

I'd ask your manager for a written copy of your hours of attendance. And just work those hours.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Contracted hours?!

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Basically your manager s only asking you to work your contracted hours, which is fair enough, you could put in a grievance but the only out come will be the other guy getting told to come in to do the ips, you won't get an outcome that will let you not do those two hours
Happybunny87
Posts: 8
Joined: 14 Nov 2013, 09:45
Gender: Female

Re: Contracted hours?!

Post by Happybunny87 »

Thought that might be the case, have asked a number of times for what hours I should be doing never seen one appear. I just get snotty texts from manager saying "early tomo and sat" Not even asking if this is ok? or could you please come in early on those days. Why should I be the only one making my hours up? When the other person is getting away with it and when I see full timers going home at 12 some days?
gary1975
Posts: 482
Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
Gender: Male

Re: Contracted hours?!

Post by gary1975 »

Happybunny87 wrote:Thought that might be the case, have asked a number of times for what hours I should be doing never seen one appear. I just get snotty texts from manager saying "early tomo and sat" Not even asking if this is ok? or could you please come in early on those days. Why should I be the only one making my hours up? When the other person is getting away with it and when I see full timers going home at 12 some days?
The better contract you have with Royal Mail the less hours you do ,we have full timers doing less than 30 hrs a week