Further to my previous post on stage warnings v illness.
I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I am not going to be able to do a walk for the 1 year they say I will be off driving (rural).
I am on light duties at the moment after the doctor gave me a letter telling RM that I wasn't to do a walk till my legs and feet had time to recover (I'm 60 in a few weeks).
It is not just my legs and feet though, I feel totally exhausted afer the walk and I am not prepared to jeopardise my health or cause permanent damage.
One colleague had a heart attack last week!
So I suppose my question is, what are my options - how do I get out with the least pain?
How can I leave Royal Mail and not lose my shares? (whatever they're worth)
Do I have to have a major happening before I can get Ill health retirement? Who instigates it? Is it Atos or Dom?
The doctor hasn't put me on sick leave, just light duties. Atos's five minute phone interview seems to have pronounced me fit to work!
I think I need to go, how do I do it?
Cheers
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Leaving Royal Mail.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Leaving Royal Mail.
Well personally if I made my mind up that I was going I would drag out the light duties as long as possible. Its one of those situations where its better if they make to offer.
I imagine it will go something like this.
Light indoor duties.
Back on the walk for 1/2 or 2/3 (you say you cannot cope)
Refer back to Atos
Light duties
The walk trial again (may need to go off sick at this point)
Back to Atos
Consideration of medical retirement
An offer to retire = lump sum
You will need a reps help in case they try to sack you instead.
Better than this you can ask about VR. I understand that some are going to be offered soon.
I imagine it will go something like this.
Light indoor duties.
Back on the walk for 1/2 or 2/3 (you say you cannot cope)
Refer back to Atos
Light duties
The walk trial again (may need to go off sick at this point)
Back to Atos
Consideration of medical retirement
An offer to retire = lump sum
You will need a reps help in case they try to sack you instead.
Better than this you can ask about VR. I understand that some are going to be offered soon.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
shepherdess
- Posts: 445
- Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 16:16
- Gender: Female
Re: Leaving Royal Mail.
Ask for vr its worth more than ihr
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Leaving Royal Mail.
mudpie wrote:Further to my previous post on stage warnings v illness.
I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I am not going to be able to do a walk for the 1 year they say I will be off driving (rural).
I am on light duties at the moment after the doctor gave me a letter telling RM that I wasn't to do a walk till my legs and feet had time to recover (I'm 60 in a few weeks).
It is not just my legs and feet though, I feel totally exhausted afer the walk and I am not prepared to jeopardise my health or cause permanent damage.
One colleague had a heart attack last week!
So I suppose my question is, what are my options - how do I get out with the least pain?
How can I leave Royal Mail and not lose my shares? (whatever they're worth)
Do I have to have a major happening before I can get Ill health retirement? Who instigates it? Is it Atos or Dom?
The doctor hasn't put me on sick leave, just light duties. Atos's five minute phone interview seems to have pronounced me fit to work!
Bit confused here you fail to mention the reason for being taken off rural driving for 1 year for according to your condition of legs and feet would have thought that the balance of driving and walking would have been better suited instead of a complete walk. RM normally take their occupational health provider ( OH Assist formally known as ATOS) recommendation above a GP recommendation so I would request a further referral to OH Assist and demand a face to face interview instead of the usual telephone assessment. If IHR is the option then this would have to come from OH Assist and not your DOM. While on light duties you would basically be under the control of OH Assist and therefore a further re-referral should be requested. In relation to your shares you will not lose these as you would not be leaving the business for any misconduct so shares are safe and if medically retired you will not have to wait the 3 year period before cashing in.
I think I need to go, how do I do it?
Cheers
-
mudpie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 06 Apr 2014, 10:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Leaving Royal Mail.
Hi rehabron,
Off driving due to 2 blame worthy bumps, which seem unavoidable on the rurals out here - loads of single track twisty lanes, pot holed, farm yards full of machinery and stuff, tracks across fields etc etc etc. Rounds 50 - 70 miles long. Bumps were very minor. Some of the posties seem to get away with murder!
Anyway they won't let me back.
Off driving due to 2 blame worthy bumps, which seem unavoidable on the rurals out here - loads of single track twisty lanes, pot holed, farm yards full of machinery and stuff, tracks across fields etc etc etc. Rounds 50 - 70 miles long. Bumps were very minor. Some of the posties seem to get away with murder!
Anyway they won't let me back.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: Leaving Royal Mail.
IHR Is your best bet if you cannot get EVR you will keep your shares and could sell them soon before they devalue it is a shame these bastards treat you this way by the way it is the same in our office best of luck mate.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Leaving Royal Mail.
Hi mudpie they cannot take you off driving for an indefinite period but they can have you reassessed for driving which is the normal procedure but as you have stated that the 2 blameworthy are minor bumps and would have thought that a reassessment would not be necessary. In recent WTL&L you have the opportunity to record any hazards that you encounter on your delivery route eg. rutted roads potholes, confined access etc. and this should be made known to your DOM in relation to your minor bumps. You need to make this known to your rep that you are being discriminated against by not being allowed to continue driving for 2 minor bumps and not being giving the chance to be reassessed for driving which is company procedure. From a business point of view the company due to your medical condition now has to place you on light duties where you could in effect be able to continue on rural driving on your normal duty if it was not for their attitude on 2 minor bumps. Just about sums them up as an unreasonable employer.