ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Becoming Work Place Coach

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Becoming Work Place Coach

Post by Darren Bent »

Can anyone tell me what do this involves and what benefits will I get for doing this.

How much communication in the job I can do face to face but don't fancy big meeting (Deaf)

I want to know if it worth applying or not.
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Re: Becoming Work Place Coach

Post by BeamishStout »

Darren Bent wrote:Can anyone tell me what do this involves and what benefits will I get for doing this.

How much communication in the job I can do face to face but don't fancy big meeting (Deaf)

I want to know if it worth applying or not.
In our office the coaches are now going around with 'The Way To Teach People' forms asking them to 'discuss' certain infractions on a 'peer-to-peer' basis. In my case I have 2 such meetings - the first to discuss a fatuous complaint about a letter not being pushed all the way through (supposedly) and another for forgetting to sign for my van. In both instances I felt humiliated and the WPC felt embarrassed at having to do this. I have had the odd WTL session delivered by the coach who just read the RM leaflet for the topic - in this respect he was no better (or worse) than the line manager who used to do them and invariably just read the 'pillars of wisdom' handed down from goodness knows where. :cuppa

If you really need the extra money, then sure go through the motions as they appear to do in my LDO... :thumbup

I'm sure that some offices must use WPC in the way that they were intended/should be used. In my office they are not it seems :roll:
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Becoming Work Place Coach

Post by coxie »

First step to management in our office
ebbzie
Posts: 660
Joined: 14 Jun 2011, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Becoming Work Place Coach

Post by ebbzie »

Our WPC does absolutely nothing for his extra £30+ a week
billy44
Posts: 29
Joined: 01 Nov 2013, 09:12
Gender: Male

Re: Becoming Work Place Coach

Post by billy44 »

Same in ours,in fact he refused to work with a new lad as he said he was too slow.
aposter
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 205
Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 16:21
Gender: Male

Re: Becoming Work Place Coach

Post by aposter »

Depends on the Lino/DoM you could end up with £35 a week extra and bugger all to do, or you could end up doing everything that involves communication between management and front line in the first instance.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2055
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: Becoming Work Place Coach

Post by scoobydo79 »

You will get to break in the new boys :nervous
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Becoming Work Place Coach

Post by Darren Bent »

Well I applied for it, and will talk to the DOM about it when I see him.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Becoming Work Place Coach

Post by clashcityrocker »

aposter wrote:Depends on the Lino/DoM you could end up with £35 a week extra and bugger all to do.
I think that is unlikely now.
You will be involved in WCM in the DO. This will mean coming up with savings plans that come from the floor and so are our fault and not managements.
You will possibly be a chargehand when the line managers eventually go.
You might (though it is very unlikely) be involved in training - though this will probably involve trying to retrain the poor sods who can't make the grade in our Brave New World.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Becoming Work Place Coach

Post by clashcityrocker »

Almost certainly everyone will hate you because you are neither fish nor fowl.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.