ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Stage warnings help please. Newbie!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mudpie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 25
Joined: 06 Apr 2014, 10:37
Gender: Male

Stage warnings help please. Newbie!

Post by mudpie »

Hi, I am new to the forum and to post office staged warnings and their consequences.

I have been a postie for more than 9 years and was happy in a rural office where everyone looked after each other and life was good.
Since the revision ( my round was collapsed) I have been working in a town sorting office and from bicycle to a van on huge rural rounds (one 70miles long) on roads sometimes no more than farm tracks. The result was I dinged the van in minor reversing mishaps and was taken off driving. My fault, I know but they were barely scratches.
Anyway I was given a town walk, that is the least wanted in the office, ie the most physically demanding. I am 60 this month and it is killing me. I have Plantar Fasciitis and my knees are giving up the ghost. I have a letter from the doctor saying that I need to be taken off the walk fo 3 months. I had an ATOS phone call and they say I should be ok to continue! It is so painfull that I can barely walk by the end of the round and the Dom has said my only recourse is to go sick which will trigger a stage 2. ( I was off for 14 days with vertigo last year, never had it before or since and my only sick leave in 9 years) I am told if I take sick leave and then go sick again I will be fired! The Post Office is crippling me and now say they'll sack me. Surely there has to be some consideration for age. I try my best and always complete my work, but now I am exhausted and in real pain and worried I will do some permanent damage. Apparently they have no facility for me to do something less physical while I recover.

What do I do? your help please.
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Stage warnings help please. Newbie!

Post by spiderj »

1.see your rep
2.see your gp
3.decide if the inevitable stress of fighting is worth it and decide a course of action

4.I know moneys always an issue but remember its only a job/weigh the pros and cons
And if you're going to fight.fight all the way.

Good luck in whatever you choose matey
Remember citizens advice is helpful too.
:thumbup
I won
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Stage warnings help please. Newbie!

Post by krussel »

Welcome to the forum, sorry you arrive in such a situation. :wave


I cannot add much more.

This is one is for your rep to help fight.

Go back to the doctor and pay for a letter stating that you should not be subjected to delivery work whilst you recover. Use this with your rep when contacted by Atos.

Yes you can be sacked but if you go though the process with your rep and follow the correct procedure "now" and you can win an appeal.

If the job is causing you pain and restricting your life out of work then at 60 you need to consider if its worth it. Its not going to get any easier. Could you afford to take medical retirement. :hmmmm
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
mudpie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 25
Joined: 06 Apr 2014, 10:37
Gender: Male

Re: Stage warnings help please. Newbie!

Post by mudpie »

Medical retirement, can you explain what it is please? Is it of some benefit to me? If so, is it something I can ask for or do I have to be offered it.
I am sorry, but I am totally clueless at all this stuff, as I have been fit a a flea all my life and have never taken sick leave. Then when I need it I am threatened with the sack. I just can't believe it is legal, it certainly is not moral!
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Stage warnings help please. Newbie!

Post by spiderj »

Use the search facility on here to look for ihr
:thumbup
I won
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Stage warnings help please. Newbie!

Post by rehabron »

The situation you are in is ATOS v GP and who is best to prescribe to your condition and as far as I am concerned it is your GP who sees you more regularly than ATOS whose procedures are limited to a referral that consists of a 20 minute telephone interview. I suggest that you get a letter from your GP ( will probably cost you £ 20 ) but well worth it and give this to your DOM and at the same time demand a face to face interview with ATOS which cannot be denied. In the interim request that your duties be adjusted until you can be seen by ATOS and speak with your local Health & Safety union rep. For management to state that you go off sick is them taking the easy option and they should be able to put in place arrangements that will not increase the severity of your condition. Furthermore you may also get your union rep to contact your local Employee Relations Manager in your area for them to be involved to increase pressure on DOM for adjusted or lighter duties.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Stage warnings help please. Newbie!

Post by arnold cheshire »

mudpie wrote:Hi, I am new to the forum and to post office staged warnings and their consequences.

I have been a postie for more than 9 years and was happy in a rural office where everyone looked after each other and life was good.
Since the revision ( my round was collapsed) I have been working in a town sorting office and from bicycle to a van on huge rural rounds (one 70miles long) on roads sometimes no more than farm tracks. The result was I dinged the van in minor reversing mishaps and was taken off driving. My fault, I know but they were barely scratches.
Anyway I was given a town walk, that is the least wanted in the office, ie the most physically demanding. I am 60 this month and it is killing me. I have Plantar Fasciitis and my knees are giving up the ghost. I have a letter from the doctor saying that I need to be taken off the walk fo 3 months. I had an ATOS phone call and they say I should be ok to continue! It is so painfull that I can barely walk by the end of the round and the Dom has said my only recourse is to go sick which will trigger a stage 2. ( I was off for 14 days with vertigo last year, never had it before or since and my only sick leave in 9 years) I am told if I take sick leave and then go sick again I will be fired! The Post Office is crippling me and now say they'll sack me. Surely there has to be some consideration for age. I try my best and always complete my work, but now I am exhausted and in real pain and worried I will do some permanent damage. Apparently they have no facility for me to do something less physical while I recover.

What do I do? your help please.
when were you off sick last year ? i used to get platar fasciitis but it passed
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Stage warnings help please. Newbie!

Post by Lincox »

I would also remind your Line Mnager and DOM of their responsibilities in respect of your health and well being during your duty hours, and that you hold them responsible for any deterioration in your condition that can be attributed to their actions.
mudpie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 25
Joined: 06 Apr 2014, 10:37
Gender: Male

Re: Stage warnings help please. Newbie!

Post by mudpie »

To be honest, I don't think I am capable of carrying out a walk round on this terrain now. I know that my Plantar Fasciitis will get better with time and rest, or so I am told, but my knees are shot and my back can't take the punishment anymore and I am totally exhausted when I finish.
Does anyone else suffer really painful back muscle pain from constantly carrying bundles of mail even if they use a trolley? (which is frowned upon by the younger posties who don't like being held up!)

If I was offered ill health retirement with a lump sum to help me while I found other employment, I think I would take it. I have reached the stage where I just dread going into work, but have never been one to complain and have just carried on, but I am feeling so stressed about it now that I need to resolve the situation somehow. Basically I am scared of getting the sack and leaving with nothing, including my shares or staying and permanently damaging my body and having a misserable retirement, which is only 5 years away.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Stage warnings help please. Newbie!

Post by arnold cheshire »

mudpie wrote:To be honest, I don't think I am capable of carrying out a walk round on this terrain now. I know that my Plantar Fasciitis will get better with time and rest, or so I am told, but my knees are shot and my back can't take the punishment anymore and I am totally exhausted when I finish.
Does anyone else suffer really painful back muscle pain from constantly carrying bundles of mail even if they use a trolley? (which is frowned upon by the younger posties who don't like being held up!)

If I was offered ill health retirement with a lump sum to help me while I found other employment, I think I would take it. I have reached the stage where I just dread going into work, but have never been one to complain and have just carried on, but I am feeling so stressed about it now that I need to resolve the situation somehow. Basically I am scared of getting the sack and leaving with nothing, including my shares or staying and permanently damaging my body and having a misserable retirement, which is only 5 years away.
maybe go for a stroll on a day off of say a mile to let your body keep in shape im always worse of after annual leave do you have a lot of low level letterboxes ?
mudpie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 25
Joined: 06 Apr 2014, 10:37
Gender: Male

Re: Stage warnings help please. Newbie!

Post by mudpie »

Having two dogs makes that a daily routine, although of late it is not quite as energetic and not such a marathon. :)
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Stage warnings help please. Newbie!

Post by krussel »

mudpie wrote:To be honest, I don't think I am capable of carrying out a walk round on this terrain now. I know that my Plantar Fasciitis will get better with time and rest, or so I am told, but my knees are shot and my back can't take the punishment anymore and I am totally exhausted when I finish.
Does anyone else suffer really painful back muscle pain from constantly carrying bundles of mail even if they use a trolley? (which is frowned upon by the younger posties who don't like being held up!)

If I was offered ill health retirement with a lump sum to help me while I found other employment, I think I would take it. I have reached the stage where I just dread going into work, but have never been one to complain and have just carried on, but I am feeling so stressed about it now that I need to resolve the situation somehow. Basically I am scared of getting the sack and leaving with nothing, including my shares or staying and permanently damaging my body and having a misserable retirement, which is only 5 years away.
A lot depends on what sort of employment you would want after Royal mail. If for example you took a job at Tesco to work a till I doubt the fact that you medically retired from RM would matter. If it was a job which required a more active role it may not help.

Medical retirement would have to be recommended by Atos and the amount negotiated, prob best via your CWU rep. There is a reduction in pension by taking it at 60 dependent on what plan you are in, PoPs etc. However you would leave with something in the bank and could look forward to a pain free life. Its just a change in lifestyle.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Glenno
Posts: 1491
Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 13:12

Re: Stage warnings help please. Newbie!

Post by Glenno »

mudpie wrote:Medical retirement, can you explain what it is please? Is it of some benefit to me? If so, is it something I can ask for or do I have to be offered it.
I am sorry, but I am totally clueless at all this stuff, as I have been fit a a flea all my life and have never taken sick leave. Then when I need it I am threatened with the sack. I just can't believe it is legal, it certainly is not moral!
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=36293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :wave :wave
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Re: Stage warnings help please. Newbie!

Post by General Mannerheim »

Employee Relations Manager
:shock: :shock:

Not being funny but WHAT THE f**k IS ONE OF THOSE? :hmmmm
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Stage warnings help please. Newbie!

Post by OnAFlyer »

Go off sick, stay off as long as you need and your doc will sign you off for. Yes you'll get a stage 2 if 10 days or longer but that isn't a dismissal.

Whilst you are off sick rest as much as you can, and explore your options as to ill health retirement and what you could do next. And bear in mind even if you are off sick for 6 months you'll still only get a stage 2 and still have a job if you decide to go back.

Don't dread going to work and don't permanently injure yourself. Just go and get signed off.