ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

So fed-up

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
amco37
Posts: 48
Joined: 27 Mar 2013, 11:40
Gender: Female

So fed-up

Post by amco37 »

Hi there,

My line manager really pissed me off today when he shouted out loud for all to hear that he couldn't believe how much overtime I claimed yesterday and how do I justify it. I told him I added my 20 minute break and that the walk is long and there were a lot (and I mean a lot) of parcels that day! He seems to think I should be finished by 2pm. I finished at 4pm! This time includes my 20 minute break, driving back to the office and unloading the van (by myself, as my work partner doesn't even bother to come back to the office).

The guy I am working with has apparently just had back surgery! Don't ask me why he's working!?! Anyway, he is really slow and he doesn't always do his fair share. I am a 30 something year old woman and I'm doing the bits that a 20 something year old male boxer used to do!!!! How is this equality? My work partner has complained to the manager that the walk is too long and too much for a woman (hmm), but the manager doesn't give a s**t.

I asked the guy I'm working with if the walk has ever been tested and he said someone came out with him once and told him that he walks too slow! Everyone has different abilities. Surely it's not fair to expect us all to go at the same speed! Women probably can't walk as fast as men or carry as much, so if the Royal Mail are equal opportunity employers why don't they make allowances for that? If they expect me to work as fast as the youngest and fittest man... that's ridiculous! And it's discrimination!! Women (and even older men)should be put on easier walks. The longer and harder walks should be for the really fit guys.

Our bags are quite often very heavy and probably above the limit. There are no scales at the office for weighing the bags and weighing them would take up more time anyway. We can't really take stuff out of the bags and leave it in the van to make the bags lighter as that would mean going back and forth to the van, which would use up even more time! I can't really use a trolley either as the walk involves going places you can't take a trolley (up garden steps and stairs in flats). Plus, a trolley slows you down. We really are non-stop busy from the moment we leave the office to the moment we deliver the last letter/parcel.

Anyway, my finishing time is supposed to be 1.30 as I am on a 25 hour contract. (They have been saying they will change it to 27.5 hours for the last 4 months, but nothing happens!) I usually finish anywhere between 3 and 4pm. Nobody ever asks me in the morning if I want to work overtime. It's just expected. Plus, the manager is a little snarky so and so and if he doesn't get his way (for example, you tell him no for working your day off) then he behaves like a spoiled brat and tries to get you back some other way.

What do I do about this? The walk is extremely long and my work partner is slow because of his back problems. Also, he seems to be someone who they (the manage
ent) take advantage off and never listen to. He worked his day off today after having teeth extracted and being told by his dentist not to do any exercise!

I'm seriously considering writing a complaint to Moya Greene!!!!!!!

Oh and the other thing that's really irritating me is my day off is always Tuesday or Wednesday. I never have a long weekend, never two days in a row to give my body the chance it needs to recover :sad:
hans solo
Posts: 3280
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

Re: So fed-up

Post by hans solo »

b&h case if he singled you out
and if they mentioned your name :no no :no no :no no :no no :no no :no no :no no
take it further
dazzer79
Posts: 25
Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 13:08

Re: So fed-up

Post by dazzer79 »

Laughable !!!! I get sick about hearing this ,,,,,for one Royal Mail says use your trolley at all times ...so use it !!! If you are going to be over your time ...tell the manager before you go out on delivery that you want to finish on time and break off !!! Take your 20 mins break before you go out and do your job correctly ....so so simple ;)
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: So fed-up

Post by worktotime »

dont let him get to you and ask him for a hr 1 form , and tell him your only working your contracted hours , was the dom a failed postman by any chance.
Law7
Posts: 15
Joined: 09 Nov 2013, 17:12
Gender: Female

Re: So fed-up

Post by Law7 »

Personally if I were given an 'easier' walk because I'm a woman I would feel discriminated against, especially as I work harder than 80% of the men in our office!
Sorry your having a rubbish time tho, hopefully it will get better soon :pray
ebbzie
Posts: 660
Joined: 14 Jun 2011, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: So fed-up

Post by ebbzie »

dazzer79 wrote:Laughable !!!! I get sick about hearing this ,,,,,for one Royal Mail says use your trolley at all times ...so use it !!! If you are going to be over your time ...tell the manager before you go out on delivery that you want to finish on time and break off !!! Take your 20 mins break before you go out and do your job correctly ....so so simple ;)
This is so true you DONT carry pouches and the only way anything ever gets done is if you start cutting off, speak to your union rep on the correct way to do this
amco37
Posts: 48
Joined: 27 Mar 2013, 11:40
Gender: Female

Re: So fed-up

Post by amco37 »

dazzer79 wrote:Laughable !!!! I get sick about hearing this ,,,,,for one Royal Mail says use your trolley at all times ...so use it !!! If you are going to be over your time ...tell the manager before you go out on delivery that you want to finish on time and break off !!! Take your 20 mins break before you go out and do your job correctly ....so so simple ;)
I wish it were so so simple. I don't see how I can take my 20 minute break before I go out. I start at 8.30 and there is still mail to put in the frame and packets to sort, special deliveries and tracked to pick up and redirections to do. Plus, I have to tie down the walk. We need to be out of the office by 9.30/10. So there's no way we would manage that if I took my 20 minute break as soon as I arrived at work!
amco37
Posts: 48
Joined: 27 Mar 2013, 11:40
Gender: Female

Re: So fed-up

Post by amco37 »

worktotime wrote:dont let him get to you and ask him for a hr 1 form , and tell him your only working your contracted hours , was the dom a failed postman by any chance.
Yep, he used to be a postman. By the way, what's an hr 1 form?
Last edited by amco37 on 04 Apr 2014, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: So fed-up

Post by spiderj »

I hear you
But like the advert says
Just do it

...one thing they can't argue with is the LAW
Breaks are an entitlement
As for the rest.....its not your fault they can't manage
:nana
I won
amco37
Posts: 48
Joined: 27 Mar 2013, 11:40
Gender: Female

Re: So fed-up

Post by amco37 »

spiderj wrote:I hear you
But like the advert says
Just do it

...one thing they can't argue with is the LAW
Breaks are an entitlement
As for the rest.....its not your fault they can't manage
:nana
True. Think I'm ready to take them on. Only problem is I tend to be more on the aggressive side rather than the assertive side... so bit worried I'll flip when I start telling them what I think!
Timelord
Posts: 143
Joined: 28 Aug 2008, 17:17
Gender: Female
Location: Gallifrey

Re: So fed-up

Post by Timelord »

amco37 wrote:
dazzer79 wrote:Laughable !!!! I get sick about hearing this ,,,,,for one Royal Mail says use your trolley at all times ...so use it !!! If you are going to be over your time ...tell the manager before you go out on delivery that you want to finish on time and break off !!! Take your 20 mins break before you go out and do your job correctly ....so so simple ;)
I wish it were so so simple. I don't see how I can take my 20 minute break before I go out. I start at 8.30 and there is still mail to put in the frame and packets to sort, special deliveries and tracked to pick up and redirections to do. Plus, I have to tie down the walk. We need to be out of the office by 9.30/10. So there's no way we would manage that if I took my 20 minute break as soon as I arrived at work!
Thing is (I find anyway) you don't want to take a break before you go out when you don't start till 8.30, it's too soon. I find this starting at 7.15 so I stop for 3 10 minute breaks while I'm out.
Hope you get things sorted out. We do all need to start doing our jobs properly. Good luck.
'I tolerate this century but I don't enjoy it'
The Doctor in 'An Unearthly Child'

A species set on endless growth is.... UNSUSTAINABLE
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: So fed-up

Post by datasaint »

amco37 wrote:Women probably can't walk as fast as men or carry as much, so if the Royal Mail are equal opportunity employers why don't they make allowances for that? If they expect me to work as fast as the youngest and fittest man... that's ridiculous! And it's discrimination!! Women (and even older men)should be put on easier walks. The longer and harder walks should be for the really fit guys.
Sorry don't agree with that at all. We all get paid the same to do the same job. If you can't handle the work-load you shouldn't be in the job. The fact older guys get "easier" rounds is down to seniority.
amco37
Posts: 48
Joined: 27 Mar 2013, 11:40
Gender: Female

Re: So fed-up

Post by amco37 »

norm wrote:
amco37 wrote:Women probably can't walk as fast as men or carry as much, so if the Royal Mail are equal opportunity employers why don't they make allowances for that? If they expect me to work as fast as the youngest and fittest man... that's ridiculous! And it's discrimination!! Women (and even older men)should be put on easier walks. The longer and harder walks should be for the really fit guys.
Sorry don't agree with that at all. We all get paid the same to do the same job. If you can't handle the work-load you shouldn't be in the job. The fact older guys get "easier" rounds is down to seniority.
We don't all get paid the same. Also, I never said I can't handle the workload. I worked with an older guy who has worked for Royal Mail for years (funny enough he was called Norman) and I managed his walk no problem (it wasn't easy either). He constantly complained about it and had loads of arguments with the manager when he wanted to leave some of it behind. There are many walks I've done that I've managed no problem. The problem is the walk I am currently on is too much because (a) it's far too long and (b) the guy I work with is slow due to his back trouble.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: So fed-up

Post by worktotime »

amco37 wrote:
worktotime wrote:dont let him get to you and ask him for a hr 1 form , and tell him your only working your contracted hours , was the dom a failed postman by any chance.
Yep, he used to be a postman. By the way, what's an hr 1 form?
bully and harassment form ask him for one he will soon change.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: So fed-up

Post by datasaint »

amco37 wrote:
norm wrote:
amco37 wrote:The problem is the walk I am currently on is too much because (a) it's far too long and (b) the guy I work with is slow due to his back trouble.
If you can't complete, inform your manager a couple hours before your duty end and tell him you are cutting off. You are not obligated to do OT. If you keep doing this he will take action that you are seeking, either taking loops off you or whatever.